Trump isn't the only target

Belly Bob

46 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

I do too.  What I would say is we need testing in order to make data driven decisions.  Otherwise, without data to understand who/when/where the risk is, sending everybody back to work on a random day like Easter, runs the risk of being the worst of both worlds -- Overrunning the health care system and tanking the economy.

It was the second round of the Spanish flu that was the more deadly one...

That's a nice point. We want to be able track it before we send everyone back to work.

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

We aren't doing very well comparatively. 

Not necessarily. 

We have ~6x the population of Italy, for example.

China?  There is no reason to trust their data and as a free society lack their ability to have a strong central government impose its will on the country.

7 hours ago, concha said:

Not necessarily. 

We have ~6x the population of Italy, for example.

China?  There is no reason to trust their data and as a free society lack their ability to have a strong central government impose its will on the country.

Our numbers are on a scale to double every two days with pretty much no variation. 

We'll surpass Italy and China's questionable numbers in 2 days. 100k confirmed infected by tomorrow. 

10 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

That's a nice point. We want to be able track it before we send everyone back to work.

@Belly Bob

I can't decide who is more in their element right now:   Philosophy professors because it's trolley car problems all the way down, or English professors who assign The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas...

For no particular reason whatsoever, here's a video of how a 2 year old solves the trolley problem...

Too much?  😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Our numbers are on a scale to double every two days with pretty much no variation. 

We'll surpass Italy and China's questionable numbers in 2 days. 100k confirmed infected by tomorrow. 

That hasn't been happening.

Over the last three days, confirmed cases went up by about 8k, 10k and 10k respectively.

Of course, it could explode, but a the current level to double every two days would require 2.5x what we've seen the last couple of days.

We'll pass Italy, at least in cases.

I suspect we'll never know the truth about China.

14 minutes ago, concha said:

Over the last three days, confirmed cases went up by about 8k, 10k and 10k respectively.

Of course, it could explode, but a the current level to double every two days would require 2.5x what we've seen the last couple of days.

I know you are a chart person. I posted a chart that shows lines of how often the cases will double and we are on a trajectory directly adjacent to that 2 day line. 

John's Hopkins could be wrong. A lot of charts could be wrong, but, as testing is finally online and ramping up, the numbers are probably gonna skyrocket. 

Just in my town, I know the numbers on the national database are off. In Albany, I know the numbers in the database are off as well, because the local people are reporting in real time. In Moultrie as of yesterday the national database said 1 case, but, I know it was 2. Today the local report is 3, tomorrow will be more. They've cleared 6 tests as negative, 3 positive and 14 outstanding with more people probably gonna be tested today and the day after, etc. 

The graph looks correct to the numbers I see locally. Two days ago, Albany was at 62, yesterday at 103 according to national but 125 according to local. Today? If they make 124 on the national database that would be doubled from 2 days ago. 

36 minutes ago, concha said:

I believe China is flat out lying.  I’ve seen too many photos of their sick all around and dead lying in the streets to think it wasn’t a complete disaster there.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, noonereal said:

the guy is awesome, you have to admit

A website force of nature.

Just not in any admirable way.

Most on here are able to debate and trade jabs and still kid around and be friendly with most others.

Canes is just 100% tool 100% of the time.

You have to know that the water cooler crowd clears out at the Florida unemployment bureau when they see Andy coming.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, concha said:

A website force of nature.

Just not in any admirable way.

Most on here are able to debate and trade jabs and still kid around and be friendly with most others.

Canes is just 100% tool 100% of the time.

You have to know that the water cooler crowd clears out at the Florida unemployment bureau when they see Andy coming.

i don't know... i like the guy and we went at it before bosco shut him up, twice... lol

• Like 2

Swing this back to the COVID-19..... a posting from a John Hopkins Immunologist  

“Feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand...

It has to do with RNA sequencing.... I.e. genetics.

Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.

Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.

Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be..

H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.

Fast forward.

Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery”

This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, Humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it.

And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..

That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery AF. And it’s a lung eater...And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.

We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.

Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation...

And let me end by saying....right now it’s hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.

Be smart folks... acting like you’re unafraid is so not sexy right now.

Stay home folks... and share this to those that just are not catching on.”

You're very fucking welcome,

BGW

• Thanks 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Swing this back to the COVID-19..... a posting from a John Hopkins Immunologist  

“Feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand...

It has to do with RNA sequencing.... I.e. genetics.

Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.

Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.

Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be..

H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.

Fast forward.

Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery”

This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, Humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it.

And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..

That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery AF. And it’s a lung eater...And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.

We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.

Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation...

And let me end by saying....right now it’s hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.

Be smart folks... acting like you’re unafraid is so not sexy right now.

Stay home folks... and share this to those that just are not catching on.”

You're very fucking welcome,

BGW

i am sure everyone of the Trump supporters will read this post completely and acknowledge there foolhardiness in being so dismissive of the virus. 

• Haha 4