Mater Dei vs. Bishop Amat, early 90s, covered by Anderson Cooper

badrouter

"Channel 1 News" I think it was called. I was in the locker room at Lakeland HS and Channel 1 News with Anderson Cooper and Lisa Ling was a thing. I remember they showed highlights of Mater Dei and Bishop Amat in like 1994. And I remember hearing about Daylon McCutcheon (sp?). Anyone have any footage of this game?

• Thanks 1

I believe this was among the 3 times in the Rollinson era for MD, in which MD upset a highly favored team with National title implications on the line, first was 1991 against Eisenhower, then Bishop Amat in 1994, and then Bosco in 2018. 

1994 was also I believe when MD beat Los Al in a huge playoff game at Angel Stadium, Los Al was ranked high in the Nation at the time as well, and when an MD booster club member said to the Los Al players on the Bus as they were leaving the stadium "I just wanted to see what a bunch of losers look like"

Then in 2002, the last time Los Al won a CIF title in football, Los Al killed MD at the Big A, Coach Barnes said to the Los Al players "I just wanted to see what a bunch of winners look like"

as I said in another post, in my lifetime, I would love to see a California public school win a national title in high school football, which I believe, last time that was done, was Fontana HS in 1987, since then, it's been DLS, MD and Bosco, all private/parochial schools.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

I believe this was among the 3 times in the Rollinson era for MD, in which MD upset a highly favored team with National title implications on the line, first was 1991 against Eisenhower, then Bishop Amat in 1994, and then Bosco in 2018. 

1994 was also I believe when MD beat Los Al in a huge playoff game at Angel Stadium, Los Al was ranked high in the Nation at the time as well, and when an MD booster club member said to the Los Al players on the Bus as they were leaving the stadium "I just wanted to see what a bunch of losers look like"

Then in 2002, the last time Los Al won a CIF title in football, Los Al killed MD at the Big A, Coach Barnes said to the Los Al players "I just wanted to see what a bunch of winners look like"

as I said in another post, in my lifetime, I would love to see a California public school win a national title in high school football, which I believe, last time that was done, was Fontana HS in 1987, since then, it's been DLS, MD and Bosco, all private/parochial schools.

Oh wow, brother, you gotta put '98 MD v Poly in there.  Had Poly beaten MD by more than 7, the Natty would've been Poly's.  Everybody had Poly winning that game, especially with McNair gone.  That was a HUGE upset for MD and denied Poly the national title.  It took the greatest single game performance of any player, ever, by Groots to make it happen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

You are correct.  In the Amat Highlight Video I attached above, they showed an USAT ranking that showed #1 Amat. #2 Los Al 

21 hours ago, MD87 said:

Oh wow, brother, you gotta put '98 MD v Poly in there.  Had Poly beaten MD by more than 7, the Natty would've been Poly's.  Everybody had Poly winning that game, especially with McNair gone.  That was a HUGE upset for MD and denied Poly the national title.  It took the greatest single game performance of any player, ever, by Groots to make it happen.

If Poly had won the 1998 game with MD, wouldn't have DLS still have won the National Title?

Nevertheless, I feel that is a major asterisk on LB Poly's football program, despite having a rich history, having sent more players to the NFL than any other HS in the Nation, has never won a single national title in high school football, not even once, that's a major asterisk.

But I believe it's been said before that, when LB Poly was at it's best, peak dominance, it was during DLS's winning streak, that is the major factor why LB Poly never won a Natty.

3 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

If Poly had won the 1998 game with MD, wouldn't have DLS still have won the National Title?

Nevertheless, I feel that is a major asterisk on LB Poly's football program, despite having a rich history, having sent more players to the NFL than any other HS in the Nation, has never won a single national title in high school football, not even once, that's a major asterisk.

But I believe it's been said before that, when LB Poly was at it's best, peak dominance, it was during DLS's winning streak, that is the major factor why LB Poly never won a Natty.

If Poly had beaten MD by more than 7, they would have won the Natty.  Why?  Because DLS had beaten MD that same season, 28-21.  A bunch of DLS guys came down for the game to cheer on MD, as they knew that's what would happen if Poly won by more than a TD.  Poly went into the game #2 in the nation behind DLS.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MD87 said:

If Poly had beaten MD by more than 7, they would have won the Natty.  Why?  Because DLS had beaten MD that same season, 28-21.  A bunch of DLS guys came down for the game to cheer on MD, as they knew that's what would happen if Poly won by more than a TD.  Poly went into the game #2 in the nation behind DLS.

So it looks or sounds like, LB Poly has not come close since then to winning a Natty, however, isn't the 2001 LB Poly team considered the best in the programs history?

19 minutes ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

So it looks or sounds like, LB Poly has not come close since then to winning a Natty, however, isn't the 2001 LB Poly team considered the best in the programs history?

I believe most would say yes, 2001 was Poly's best ever.  Had they beaten DLS, of course, they would have won the Natty that year.  Crazy that they never have, though.

will always be a major asterisk attached to their program, LB Poly, that they have never won a natty, until if or when they do, which doesn't look to be happening anytime soon, in fact, it doesn't look like a public school will ever win a D-1 CIF title in football again in the near future, and I guess it's the destiny of a private school to have an easier time winning a natty, compared to a public school.

On 5/20/2020 at 3:47 PM, Sammyswordsman said:

Polys 2000 team was better than 2001. Imo 

I know that the 1997 LB Poly team is often considered one of the greatest teams in the programs history as well, Herman Ho-Ching's senior season at Poly, they beat the Mike McNair-led MD team at the Coliseum that year by a close margin. I believe MD was the odds-on favorite to win prior to that title game. I don't know why footage from that title game is impossible to find, its a very overlooked game.

• 7 months later...
On 5/27/2020 at 5:38 PM, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

I know that the 1997 LB Poly team is often considered one of the greatest teams in the programs history as well, Herman Ho-Ching's senior season at Poly, they beat the Mike McNair-led MD team at the Coliseum that year by a close margin. I believe MD was the odds-on favorite to win prior to that title game. I don't know why footage from that title game is impossible to find, its a very overlooked game.

1997 Poly is the best team Poly ever had. Sammie Parker, Larry Croom, Herman, Ho-Ching Kareem Kelly, Andre Cyrus, and Chris Lewis led the offense. The defense was led by Dennis Link, Reggie Butler, Seth Tago, and Herman Ho-Ching.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 8:55 PM, Sammyswordsman said:

Avenged the blowout to Ike in '93.

we don't talk about this game...

2 hours ago, steeler01 said:

1997 Poly is the best team Poly ever had. Sammie Parker, Larry Croom, Herman, Ho-Ching Kareem Kelly, Andre Cyrus, and Chris Lewis led the offense. The defense was led by Dennis Link, Reggie Butler, Seth Tago, and Herman Ho-Ching.

we don't talk about this team...

• Haha 2

On 5/17/2020 at 8:55 PM, Sammyswordsman said:

That Amat team was beastly.  Great win for the Monarchs.  Avenged the blowout to Ike in '93.  Kind of started off their run in the 1990's. 

Amat came back the next year and won it all in1995 with Ralph Brown

Amat used to crank out tailbacks. Bienemey, Mazio Royster, McCutchen, Brown, they had a pretty good run for awhile.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2020 at 7:34 PM, Sammyswordsman said:

The best player on that Amat team was strong side DE # 3 Kory Minor.

Daylon was #21.  He played RB, WR and DB

On the highlight film, Kory Minor is blowing up the other teams offense and McCutcheon had some good long runs and Long pass receptions

Baby Jordan?  Wasn't he a basketball player?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/19/2020 at 12:01 PM, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

Los Al won a state title?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

Baby Jordan?  Wasn't he a basketball player?

That's a different Minor.  Kory played at Notre Dame and coaches St. Margaret's now. McCutcheon was the best player on the 94 team. They just needed a QB that year, Amat was way to one dimensional

I still think 94 Los Al was the best team that year.  They just didn't recover the onside to seal the game vs Mater Dei in the semis.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1