VM vs Colquitt...or...Rush To Judgement

Rufus69

I know...I know...

We've had mult-posts regarding this game...but we haven't actually had any Gospel...so...without further ado.....

Most football gurus think this will be a pretty decent game.  VM had a tough year in 2016.  They went 9-3.  Colquitt also had a tough 2016.  They went 8-5.  Both teams have had some success in the immediate prior years.  Both teams are trying to get back to that prominence.  If you look at Colquitt's resolve for 2017...you're gonna see...#Reclaim...everywhere.  Neither team is satisfied with where they ended up last year.

Now...to just get the Republican in the room out of the way....VM is traveling from Cali to Moultrie Georgia to play this game.  Personally, I can't believe it.  I know what we're paying them...and I'll tell ya straight up...the Hawgs wouldn't load the semi-trucks for that revenue.  I don't know if somebody else is contributing or not...but IF NOT....I honestly don't see how they can make it work.  But like "Doc" told me this morning whilst we were sipping on our Black Silk..."Rufus, NOT our problem".

I'm not totally sure exactly what to expect from the Broncos.  I talked with a friend of mine who is "up to speed" with Cali High School Football...and he said that VM is not the same team it was a few years back.  He said they have had SOME growing pains.  BUT...he said..."Rufus, I'll be honest with you...I just don't think they'd load up and travel THAT far if they didn't think they could compete".  If you look at the FACTS...Colquitt is in a very similar position.  2016 was a "growing" year for the Hawgs.  We started the year in flux...got better as the year progressed and were playing pretty fairly at year end.  But we graduated a ton of Seniors and we have an inexperienced lineup returning.  So how will WE look in our 2nd game?

Say what you want...but this matchup is intriguing.  I would be a LOT more confident if we were playing it in December.  But we're not.  If we can survive the Corky in the August heat against Norcross...I'll feel a tad better.  But right now...I honestly think this game is a toss up.  We'll have updates throughout the summer.  I told Ms. Violet that me, her and "Doc" might hafta make a scouting trip out to Murrietta...but I didn't get the idea...she was positively impressed.  When I threw in that we could make a side trip to the Grand Canyon...she started coming around...(Smile).  Don't wanna frighten you Cali Boys...but I'm giving you FAIR WARNING.

More to come...

Rufus>>

• Like 2

Say what you want but if this game is close we Cali boys will know Colquitt isn't that good..Nonody and I mean nobody expects VM to make any noise out here.Maybe I'm just expecting to much from uncle Rush's boys but that's y'all fault from all the dancing and Pom Pom swinging you've done

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rufus69 said:

I know...I know...

We've had mult-posts regarding this game...but we haven't actually had any Gospel...so...without further ado.....

Most football gurus think this will be a pretty decent game.  VM had a tough year in 2016.  They went 9-3.  Colquitt also had a tough 2016.  They went 8-5.  Both teams have had some success in the immediate prior years.  Both teams are trying to get back to that prominence.  If you look at Colquitt's resolve for 2017...you're gonna see...#Reclaim...everywhere.  Neither team is satisfied with where they ended up last year.

Now...to just get the Republican in the room out of the way....VM is traveling from Cali to Moultrie Georgia to play this game.  Personally, I can't believe it.  I know what we're paying them...and I'll tell ya straight up...the Hawgs wouldn't load the semi-trucks for that revenue.  I don't know if somebody else is contributing or not...but IF NOT....I honestly don't see how they can make it work.  But like "Doc" told me this morning whilst we were sipping on our Black Silk..."Rufus, NOT our problem".

I'm not totally sure exactly what to expect from the Broncos.  I talked with a friend of mine who is "up to speed" with Cali High School Football...and he said that VM is not the same team it was a few years back.  He said they have had SOME growing pains.  BUT...he said..."Rufus, I'll be honest with you...I just don't think they'd load up and travel THAT far if they didn't think they could compete".  If you look at the FACTS...Colquitt is in a very similar position.  2016 was a "growing" year for the Hawgs.  We started the year in flux...got better as the year progressed and were playing pretty fairly at year end.  But we graduated a ton of Seniors and we have an inexperienced lineup returning.  So how will WE look in our 2nd game?

Say what you want...but this matchup is intriguing.  I would be a LOT more confident if we were playing it in December.  But we're not.  If we can survive the Corky in the August heat against Norcross...I'll feel a tad better.  But right now...I honestly think this game is a toss up.  We'll have updates throughout the summer.  I told Ms. Violet that me, her and "Doc" might hafta make a scouting trip out to Murrietta...but I didn't get the idea...she was positively impressed.  When I threw in that we could make a side trip to the Grand Canyon...she started coming around...(Smile).  Don't wanna frighten you Cali Boys...but I'm giving you FAIR WARNING.

More to come...

Rufus>>

Brotha Rufus, why is Colquitt paying them? I thought ESPN/Paragon was paying for all the expenses?

1 hour ago, Ararar said:

Say what you want but if this game is close we Cali boys will know Colquitt isn't that good..Nonody and I mean nobody expects VM to make any noise out here.Maybe I'm just expecting to much from uncle Rush's boys but that's y'all fault from all the dancing and Pom Pom swinging you've done

My point is...nobody knows what to expect from either team at the beginning of the year.  But why in GRAYSON would they come this far if they didn't think they could compete?  And the only thing I've said about Colquitt is.....we ain't nothing but a bunch of poor, tiny, little undersized and inexperienced Hawgs.  At least at the start of the season.

Rufus>>

35 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

My point is...nobody knows what to expect from either team at the beginning of the year.  But why in GRAYSON would they come this far if they didn't think they could compete?  And the only thing I've said about Colquitt is.....we ain't nothing but a bunch of poor, tiny, little undersized and inexperienced Hawgs.  At least at the start of the season.

Rufus>>

Why did westlake travel all the way to Texas to get their doors blown off by Aledo? Don't get me wrong VM is a pretty good HS program but they are far from elite and the game against MD last year shows that.Like I said maybe I'm expecting too much from those poor,tiny,little undersized and inexperienced Hawgs.

8 minutes ago, Ararar said:

Why did westlake travel all the way to Texas to get their doors blown off by Aledo? Don't get me wrong VM is a pretty good HS program but they are far from elite and the game against MD last year shows that.Like I said maybe I'm expecting too much from those poor,tiny,little undersized and inexperienced Hawgs.

I would surmise that Westlake traveled to Aledo because they thought they could win.  Sometimes...that doesn't happen.  BUT in all honesty...teams either travel that far to win a game or for the revenue that comes from it.  Don't get me wrong...Colquitt fans ALWAYS expect the Hawgs to win every game.  Rush and his team does too.  But...based on historical data...we're better towards the end of the season than we are at the beginning.

Rufus>>

8 minutes ago, NotBigdaddybloom said:

Depending on the year...

This year..... 

would you think either are good candidates for preseason top 25?

Norco kinda has been approaching that recently while VM has been more often than not but definitely on a downward trajectory 

am sincere in request -- you and steeler are the IE gurus and I'll accept what you think

14 minutes ago, NotBigdaddybloom said:

Norco will b very competitive in Division 2 this year and has a chance to move up next. VM seems to b in a perpetual neutral. 2nd year coach and AD, could make it happen...but not likely. 

Thanks

would say if SS classified correctly, the best D2 team ought to be no higher than 19th IN THE SECTION (30th in state +/-)

of course, the classifications aren't without misplacements so maybe a bit of upside from there

4 minutes ago, Pops said:

Thanks

would say if SS classified correctly, the best D2 team ought to be no higher than 19th IN THE SECTION (30th in state +/-)

of course, the classifications aren't without misplacements so maybe a bit of upside from there

Pops...from what I've dissected from this board...and from Brother Ned....D2 Cali and D1 Georgia are pretty much on par.  That being said...VM/Colquitt should be a fair and even matchup.  The Hawgs might have a slight upper hand due to the Broncs travel...but hey, it shouldn't be much.

Rufus>>

10 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

Pops...from what I've dissected from this board...and from Brother Ned....D2 Cali and D1 Georgia are pretty much on par.  That being said...VM/Colquitt should be a fair and even matchup.  The Hawgs might have a slight upper hand due to the Broncs travel...but hey, it shouldn't be much.

Rufus>>

In all honesty, I think VM will compete, but CQ ought to win this game going away

not sure where you're getting CA D2 = GA D1 -- pretty much every CA team that is discussed on this board is D1 

15 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

Rufus>>

VM vs Valdosta would be a more compatible game.Two second division teams in terms of ability and we saw what Colquitt did to Valdosta.Should do the same with VM

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

Pops...from what I've dissected from this board...and from Brother Ned....D2 Nor Cali and D1 Georgia are pretty much on par.  That being said...VM/Colquitt should be a fair and even matchup.  The Hawgs might have a slight upper hand due to the Broncs travel...but hey, it shouldn't be much.

Rufus>>

GOSPEL!!!!!!!!!

29 minutes ago, Pops said:

Only CP detractors use CP before mid October 

Does this info change Oct. 1?   I thought this was a discussion including VM?   This comes from a VM coach after all, no?   We know strengths/weaknesses sure doesn't come from an algorithm.    Nothing changes in October other than games being predicted by the algorithm (with most OOS games having already been played and district play likely already started aka connecting data wheelhouse).  

RETURNERS
Returning Offensive Starters: 6
Returning Defensive Starters: 5
2016 JV Record: 6-4
Starting Quarterback Returning: no
Top Running Back Returning: yes
Top Receiver Returning: yes
Top OL Returning: yes
Top Defender Returning: yes

TOP PLAYERS
Shakir Khalil 6'0" 180 Senior 4.6 4stars.jpg
Elisha Guidry 5'11" 185 Senior 4.6 3stars.jpg
Travis Plantier 6'2" 225 Senior 4.8 1halfstars.jpg

COLLEGE PROSPECTS LOST TO GRADUATION
Javelin Guidry 5'9.5" 180 Senior CB 4.35 3halfstars.jpg
Kade Greeley 6'6" 210 Senior TE 3stars.jpg
Cole Dubots 6'1" 185 Senior RB 3stars.jpg
Anthony Mermea 6'4" 300 Senior DT 3stars.jpg
Chase Windham 6'3" 260 Senior DE 2stars.jpg
Jaylin White 5'10" 170 Senior CB 1halfstars.jpg

STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES
Team Strengths: Talented Skill Position Players, RB/LB Depth, Special Teams
Team Weaknesses: QB/OL Youth/Inexperience, Secondary Depth, Very Tough Early Schedule

• Like 2