Greatest teams ever from each state (Maxpreps)

badrouter

I think if this list was for pre-2008, it might be more accurate. From 2008 on, the landscape has changed with the super teams.  Mater Dei and Bosco have had better teams than 2001 DLS. Lakeland I thought had a better team than its 2005 outfit in 2018, and STA has had a couple teams better than '05 Lakeland as well. There are likely others as well. 

Maxpreps's top teams by state

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, badrouter said:

I think if this list was for pre-2008, it might be more accurate. From 2008 on, the landscape has changed with the super teams.  Mater Dei and Bosco have had better teams than 2001 DLS. Lakeland I thought had a better team than its 2005 outfit in 2018, and STA has had a couple teams better than '05 Lakeland as well. There are likely others as well. 

The thing is, the "super teams" haven't been around long enough to be considered, seeing as how football has been being played for so long in this country. Can't really take a snapshot of the last decade or so and proclaim these the best when they're looking at historically rather than recently. 

The super teams have to produce some longevity first. Staying power or whatever. 

• Like 2

Just now, HawgGoneIt said:

The thing is, the "super teams" haven't been around long enough to be considered, seeing as how football has been being played for so long in this country. Can't really take a snapshot of the last decade or so and proclaim these the best when they're looking at historically rather than recently. 

The super teams have to produce some longevity first. Staying power or whatever. 

Well, I-and I think Maxpreps here-am not speaking of programs where you have to consider long-term results. These are just individual teams.

With respect to Arizona this is very lazy; yes Phoenix Union's 1930 team is the only team in state history to win a state title the 1970 Tucson High team that finished third in the nation was objectively better. I say this based on the 3 1000-yard rushers Tucson had (all of which would play D1 ball), the pair of Parade All-Americans that suited up for the Badgers (future NFL lineman Mike Dawson and USC commit Marvin Lewis), and five eventual D1 athletes on the Tucson o-line.

Give Union their due as regardless of era having a quarterback recruited by Notre Dame and a receiver recruited by USC is a big deal, but the amount of talent present on that Tucson team is hard to argue against.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

With respect to Arizona this is very lazy; yes Phoenix Union's 1930 team is the only team in state history to win a state title the 1970 Tucson High team that finished third in the nation was objectively better. I say this based on the 3 1000-yard rushers Tucson had (all of which would play D1 ball), the pair of Parade All-Americans that suited up for the Badgers (future NFL lineman Mike Dawson and USC commit Marvin Lewis), and five eventual D1 athletes on the Tucson o-line.

Give Union their due as regardless of era having a quarterback recruited by Notre Dame and a receiver recruited by USC is a big deal, but the amount of talent present on that Tucson team is hard to argue against.

Maxpreps hasn't seen a single team on the list play, did you expect anything else from a lazy computer algorithm

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Yeah, idk either. It would be helpful if they gave explanations of the criteria in their rankings. 

For Georgia...the best I ever saw was the 1971 Cats.

The 2000 Parkview Panthers were also pretty durn good.

The 1962 Cats were good cause they simply didn't have the competition.

Rufus>>

Maine

Brewer, 1970
Record: 11-0
Coach: Ken Perrone
Points For/Against: 488-40
Breakdown: Ranked No. 1 in New England and No. 5 in the entire nation, the Witches are the highest-ranking team in Maine history.

Fun fact is that there are only two high schools in the country nicknamed the Witches (Salem MA of course being the other), and Ken Perrone coached both of them.

New Hampshire

Nashua, 1946
Record: 12-0
Coach: Buzz Harvey
Points For/Against: 354-34.

This is what a dominant team's roster looked like in 1946:

85kvKxR.jpg

15 hours ago, TheOneTRUEmorph said:

Maxpreps hasn't seen a single team on the list play, did you expect anything else from a lazy computer algorithm

This list, however accurate or inaccurate it is, is not from the computer. Lakeland has never finished in the top 15 of their computer lol. The 2005 team they just rated best ever in Florida failed to crack the computer national top 20. The likes of Maryville, TN and a two-loss McKeesport were among the 20 teams ahead of Lakeland in that computer ratings list. A joke to say the least...

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 2:59 PM, badrouter said:

I don't know man, I loved the 2004 and 2005 Lakeland teams. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 9:59 PM, MA Fan said:

Fun fact is that there are only two high schools in the country nicknamed the Witches (Salem MA of course being the other), and Ken Perrone coached both of them.

This is what a dominant team's roster looked like in 1946:

85kvKxR.jpg

Looks like a 1A schools 8th grade roster here I'm GA in the current era of football.

Everyone of these teams from the old days would get destroyed by today's football teams. It wouldn't even be close.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 11:59 AM, badrouter said:

its all a matter of debate, some still think the 2017 MD team is the best ever to come out of CA.

On 8/31/2020 at 6:13 PM, CCBlackhatter said:

Looks like a 1A schools 8th grade roster here I'm GA in the current era of football.

Everyone of these teams from the old days would get destroyed by today's football teams. It wouldn't even be close.

That offensive line would get completely bowled over. Only one guy at 200 pounds. Put them up against the worst defensive lines in Georgia 7A and they would still get tons of sacks.

Fun fact: Ernest Hemingway was a member of the Oak Park IL team that got boatraced by Everett in 1914.  Hope he enjoyed his day.

The big fear for Everett that day was the vaunted forward passing attack of Oak Park.  Apparently Everett figured  it out.

This Day in Everett History

Monday, November 28, 2016

1914: EHS football team wins National Championship scoring incredible 600 pts while surrendering "0" by defeating Oak Park, IL (80-0). Ernest Hemingway was a member of the Oak Park team.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Wosinc said:

Fun fact: Ernest Hemingway was a member of the Oak Park IL team that got boatraced by Everett in 1914.  Hope he enjoyed his day.

The big fear for Everett that day was the vaunted forward passing attack of Oak Park.  Apparently Everett figured  it out.

This Day in Everett History

Monday, November 28, 2016

1914: EHS football team wins National Championship scoring incredible 600 pts while surrendering "0" by defeating Oak Park, IL (80-0). Ernest Hemingway was a member of the Oak Park team.

Looks like we know who never won the 2nd grade spelling bee.

It is spelled boat raced.

Other than that, it was a nice, informative, interesting tidbit.  Thanks!!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Looks like we know who never won the 2nd grade spelling bee.

It is spelled boat raced.

Other than that, it was a nice, informative, interesting tidbit.  Thanks!!

Really?  This is worthy of block. 🤦‍♂️

It’s also SPELLED boatraced (same letters, in case you were wondering), just punctuated differently.

Thanks for chiming in, though 😎.  I appreciate your interest.

• Haha 2

On 9/7/2020 at 6:03 AM, Sweetlarry said:

And this is why we don’t compare eras. 

I think it's possible as long as we establish what's relative and what's not. Size is probably the most "relative" of factors when looking between eras as you have to account for the impact that modern weight training and specialization has had on sports in general. Yes your typical "stud" lineman in 1970 is physically inadequate compared to a similar guy from modern times, but that previous generation didn't have the "benefit" of year-round training, position-specific offseason coaching, and contemporary advancements in nutrition and weight training. Pace of play is the one relative that works in the favor of those teams of the past (IMO) as that team winning every game 35-7 in 1965 is doing so with both teams handing the ball off 40+ times and said dominant team getting a fraction of the offensive snaps that a modern team does.

What's not relative are things like athletes that went D1, track/lifting marks, and enrollment. When I look at that 1930 Phoenix Union team it's easy to dismiss them for not resembling today's teams but I have to remember if there was a 3000-student, one school district in modern Arizona with a quarterback committed to Notre Dame and a receiver committed to USC (all of which were true for that Union squad) that said team would (at the very least) be a force. In other words a lot of what constitutes great athletes hasn't changed, and one shouldn't dismiss an older team with a long list of D1 athletes just because they played years ago.

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

I think it's possible as long as we establish what's relative and what's not. Size is probably the most "relative" of factors when looking between eras as you have to account for the impact that modern weight training and specialization has had on sports in general. Yes your typical "stud" lineman in 1970 is physically inadequate compared to a similar guy from modern times, but that previous generation didn't have the "benefit" of year-round training, position-specific offseason coaching, and contemporary advancements in nutrition and weight training. Pace of play is the one relative that works in the favor of those teams of the past (IMO) as that team winning every game 35-7 in 1965 is doing so with both teams handing the ball off 40+ times and said dominant team getting a fraction of the offensive snaps that a modern team does.

What's not relative are things like athletes that went D1, track/lifting marks, and enrollment. When I look at that 1930 Phoenix Union team it's easy to dismiss them for not resembling today's teams but I have to remember if there was a 3000-student, one school district in modern Arizona with a quarterback committed to Notre Dame and a receiver committed to USC (all of which were true for that Union squad) that said team would (at the very least) be a force. In other words a lot of what constitutes great athletes hasn't changed, and one shouldn't dismiss an older team with a long list of D1 athletes just because they played years ago.

We can agree to disagree. 

Your first at paragraph Is why it’s impossible.