HS player attacks referee in Edinburg

ATLien12x

1 hour ago, Cossacks said:

So have I. Hell I still use the word retard, I was told by someone it’s not acceptable, I honestly felt that was retarded.

The word Thug is an English word with roots in Hindi...In America it was used widely in Hells Kitchen in NYC in reference to Irish gangs...and other violent and lawless people going way back...Actually the word is pithy and covers many kinds of lawless, obstreperous and violent behavior... of ALL groups...Removing it from ones vocabulary, imo , is very silly and in many cases is taking, or trying to take  political correctness beyond the saturation point that it already is...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

That was kind of funny tbh. 

And clearly wasn't the actual issue with the conversation nor the word "thug" although coming from the member where it did, and history with that member, peaked interest, when the member showed up from being a regular on the OT magically appearing on the Varsity section to denigrate a young man when information was barely trickling out at that point. Click click boom. 

Then that other profile... Yeah. That one was certainly out of line. I actually hid one of his posts before eventually having to take care of it. 

I really don't mind some racial discussion, but, some people have to be children about it, so, I think it's probably never going to go well. 

I think people need to put just a little bit more thought into what they are saying firstly. Especially as it pertains to race and religion type stuff. It's ok to have opinions, be opinionated and even be active with touting them, but, be thoughtful and realize this is a sports related board primarily intended for that type of conversation, and understand that it's an open community of many people from many walks of life.

Intentionally trying to inflame due to race, religion and politics on the Varsity Board is going to get popped every time. I'm trying to keep the discussion sports related as much as possible and maintain a fairly harmonious community. It's not that difficult to realize when a person is sowing discord intentionally into what is otherwise a pretty decent discussion or into the online community as a whole. 

It’s babysitting for grown ass men basically. 

Pretty sure some of my “spew” is out of line with differing perspectives, opinions and whatnot. I consider this to be a fairly liberal board in regards to guideline enforcement so I appreciate the fact that someone as yourself takes time away from family and other interests to keep it within the “boundaries”.

I salute you sir for dealing with the obstinate bullshit you have to put up with from time to time. 

bgw

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Pretty sure some of my “spew” is out of line with differing perspectives, opinions and whatnot. I consider this to be a fairly liberal board in regards to guideline enforcement so I appreciate the fact that someone as yourself takes time away from family and other interests to keep it within the “boundaries”.

I salute you sir for dealing with the obstinate bullshit you have to put up with from time to time. 

bgw

Yes, educatiing 

grown ups as to  the origins of words so they don't interject their own meaning.....

1 hour ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

bgw

What is the context of "grown ass man" 😏😏😏😏 Where  was that taught ???

Credit to all the posters:  I was thinking about Chinese social credit scores, and the idea popped up:

Between the extremes of the criticism here, no one saw the kid as less than human or hopeless, or saw his humanness as something to eviscerate in a cold, medicalized, technological way.  he's a thug to some.  He needs help to others.  those seem like wild extremes, but maybe they aren't.  Imperfect culture historically dealt with his issues, for better or worse, successfully or not.  But usually not in an unfeeling, Matrix-like way.

In China, his social credit score just went negative, and now, he's not allowed on buses, trains, and planes; he's not allowed to buy certain things; certain social services aren't available to him; and he'll be publicly shamed on billboards on online.  The guy pushing that button isn't a guy pissed off at the transgressor, such as many here are.  It's a bloodless regime initiating what it was programmed to do.  Like the nightmares of Kafka, Orwell, and Huxley mixed in with sci-fi over the past 30 years.

Now, James Poulos, who coined the phrase Pink Police State in connection with Marilyn Manson's music video for "The Dope Show," saw and still sees us heading there--a police state with liberal characteristics.  (Douthat, too.)  "The Dope Show" won a Grammy in 1998.  Manson wasn't being anti-cop (riot police dressed in pink were sent to anti-globalization protests); he mockingly celebrated the public authority invading our lives in this new social order--"drawing one another close in an amorous embrace."

But physical harm in our Brave New World won't be tolerated--so, the point is that this kid will wish that the worst that his stunts resulted in was just being called a thug--and he won't be dealt with in a way that still respects his humanity, even if the consequences and criticism seem uncouth or insensitive to some. 

Like it or not, everyone here respects that kid's humanity, and doesn't see it "as something to be avenged."  (Poulos)

3 hours ago, Mag44 said:

Yes, educatiing 

grown ups as to  the origins of words so they don't interject their own meaning.....

That's more ignorance. The meaning of words and their usages change with time. You don't get the benefit of freezing a 1922 vocabulary for 1000 years. You don't get to dictate how someone perceives what you are trying to say, which is why you absolutely have to be more thoughtful in your words. We've been trying to help explain this to you for the entirety of your time here on this site. Your issue here is we've had this exact same discussion at least 3 other times. At least. Others were given benefit of a doubt because they haven't had the same issues. And what of that weird burner profile that showed up? That damned sure didn't help. 

Carriages became cars. I suppose you still go and hop into your carriage when you head out shopping though. 

Educating adults the origins of words so they don't interject their own meaning. Get real. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad-Water said:

Credit to all the posters:  I was thinking about Chinese social credit scores, and the idea popped up:

Between the extremes of the criticism here, no one saw the kid as less than human or hopeless, or saw his humanness as something to eviscerate in a cold, medicalized, technological way.  he's a thug to some.  He needs help to others.  those seem like wild extremes, but maybe they aren't.  Imperfect culture historically dealt with his issues, for better or worse, successfully or not.  But usually not in an unfeeling, Matrix-like way.

In China, his social credit score just went negative, and now, he's not allowed on buses, trains, and planes; he's not allowed to buy certain things; certain social services aren't available to him; and he'll be publicly shamed on billboards on online.  The guy pushing that button isn't a guy pissed off at the transgressor, such as many here are.  It's a bloodless regime initiating what it was programmed to do.  Like the nightmares of Kafka, Orwell, and Huxley mixed in with sci-fi over the past 30 years.

Now, James Poulos, who coined the phrase Pink Police State in connection with Marilyn Manson's music video for "The Dope Show," saw and still sees us heading there--a police state with liberal characteristics.  (Douthat, too.)  "The Dope Show" won a Grammy in 1998.  Manson wasn't being anti-cop (riot police dressed in pink were sent to anti-globalization protests); he mockingly celebrated the public authority invading our lives in this new social order--"drawing one another close in an amorous embrace."

But physical harm in our Brave New World won't be tolerated--so, the point is that this kid will wish that the worst that his stunts resulted in was just being called a thug--and he won't be dealt with in a way that still respects his humanity, even if the consequences and criticism seem uncouth or insensitive to some. 

Like it or not, everyone here respects that kid's humanity, and doesn't see it "as something to be avenged."  (Poulos)

Personally, I think the kid clearly has some anger/aggression/self control issues. Nobody involved in this particular discussion knows where those issues stem from. Could be "roid rage", failures of parenting, CTE or any number of things. 

Of course, that hasn't stopped people from rushing to judgements, using language intent on dehumanizing, flat out making up stuff and etc. about the young man. 

He's got a good bit of problems to deal with now outside of what is apparently already some self control and aggression issues, in the way of legal problems and likely a permanent criminal record. That is probably as it should be considering what happened and it being more than a first time at doing so. One would have hoped that someone would have seen the need for some help/testing/counseling for the young man after the "first" incident. I put first in quotation marks because I mostly imagine there had been other signs or incidents before those for people that know the young man. 

He, just like all of us, suffers from the human condition. On that many of us can certainly agree. To say all of us have that understanding, I'm not as sure as you seem to be on that one.

11 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

That's more ignorance. The meaning of words and their usages change with time. You don't get the benefit of freezing a 1922 vocabulary for 1000 years. You don't get to dictate how someone perceives what you are trying to say, which is why you absolutely have to be more thoughtful in your words. We've been trying to help explain this to you for the entirety of your time here on this site. Your issue here is we've had this exact same discussion at least 3 other times. At least. Others were given benefit of a doubt because they haven't had the same issues. And what of that weird burner profile that showed up? That damned sure didn't help. 

Carriages became cars. I suppose you still go and hop into your carriage when you head out shopping though. 

Educating adults the origins of words so they don't interject their own meaning. Get real. 

Outstanding reply 🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀

20 hours ago, Cossacks said:

So have I. Hell I still use the word retard, I was told by someone it’s not acceptable, I honestly felt that was retarded.

Who told you it was unacceptable and why ??? It's a great word that's pithy and speaks volumes...I heard it in Hells Kitchen about the Irish mob years ago..Great word..

7 minutes ago, Mag44 said:

Who told you it was unacceptable and why ??? It's a great word that's pithy and speaks volumes...I heard it in Hells Kitchen about the Irish mob years ago..Great word..

Refer to the last post that you apparently thought was a great reply. 

Simple understanding of your surroundings is in order 100% of the time. We aren't today in Hells Kitchen chatting about the Irish Mob. 

We are on a high school football message board and joined by people from all walks of life. We aren't at your kitchen table with your two old drinking buddies from hells kitchen. The stuff we say affects how others choose to interact if at all, and how others view us as individuals and a board as a whole. 

44 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Refer to the last post that you apparently thought was a great reply. 

Simple understanding of your surroundings is in order 100% of the time. We aren't today in Hells Kitchen chatting about the Irish Mob. 

We are on a high school football message board and joined by people from all walks of life. We aren't at your kitchen table with your two old drinking buddies from hells kitchen. The stuff we say affects how others choose to interact if at all, and how others view us as individuals and a board as a whole. 

Hell's Kitchen was a reverence to give context, you knew that...Don't smoke, don't drink and just finished a five mile bike ride.....🤙🤙🤙

13 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

"Grown ass man"...Stupid....