Question for those in the Medical Field

ChimpGrip

In recent years, I have found myself really wanting to become a doctor. I tell myself if I were 18 again tomorrow, I would go the medical school route with the end goal of becoming either a cardiologist or neurosurgeon. Problem is, I’m 27 and have a bachelors in accounting and a masters in finance. Question is, is there anyway I can bypass obtaining a science degree and get into med school with these degrees? I know I could always “google” it but am curious to know what some of you on here may know. 

I also have high blood pressure (141/100), likely due to stress and anxiety. I would have to find a way to get this under control training and working in the environment that it takes to get to becoming a doctor. 

14 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

In recent years, I have found myself really wanting to become a doctor. I tell myself if I were 18 again tomorrow, I would go the medical school route with the end goal of becoming either a cardiologist or neurosurgeon. Problem is, I’m 27 and have a bachelors in accounting and a masters in finance. Question is, is there anyway I can bypass obtaining a science degree and get into med school with these degrees? I know I could always “google” it but am curious to know what some of you on here may know. 

I also have high blood pressure (141/100), likely due to stress and anxiety. I would have to find a way to get this under control training and working in the environment that it takes to get to becoming a doctor. 

@Bormio

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

You do not have to have a science degree, philosophy majors have gone to med school.  But you need certain science courses - basic biology, chemistry (including organic).  Also need to pass MCATs with a decent score - have a fair amount of science on them.  I had several classmates who were a bit older when starting, it helped them to have a certain maturity and seriousness of purpose.  But I would be less inclined towards surgical specialties as a career.  4 years of med school and 5 years of residency would make one 36 before starting your career (starting at 27).  Not impossible, but an awful long time before starting out.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Chimp, see my thoughts above

1 hour ago, Bormio said:

You do not have to have a science degree, philosophy majors have gone to med school.  But you need certain science courses - basic biology, chemistry (including organic).  Also need to pass MCATs with a decent score - have a fair amount of science on them.  I had several classmates who were a bit older when starting, it helped them to have a certain maturity and seriousness of purpose.  But I would be less inclined towards surgical specialties as a career.  4 years of med school and 5 years of residency would make one 36 before starting your career (starting at 27).  Not impossible, but an awful long time before starting out.

image.jpeg.a0867052e29fae74ce677f76ff540071.jpeg

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

2 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

You could fast track your way through

3 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Watch that BP...Check your Magnisum levels as  sometime that will help, if they are low...Mine is 2.8.. Also, drink a good amount of water...ie..I weight about 155-160 and drink about 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mag44 said:

Watch that BP...Check your Magnisum levels as  sometime that will help, if they are low...Mine is 2.8.. Also, drink a good amount of water...ie..I weight about 155-160 and drink about 

70oz and Bormio post is realistic, but think about it and if you REALLY want it, go for it..

29 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

My ex started Med school when she was 32 but already had a Masters in Engineering and a minor in Psychology. She was a surgeon unlit she mangled her right wrist in an accident. Most things are possible with dedication and strength of will. 

It is possible, but surgeon’s careers are limited in duration.  Many are done by age 65 or maybe a bit older (again not all).  But if is a passion, go for it - no argument there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Nah never to late at all. Will it be harder, sure, but not out of reach. Also maybe have your PCP throw you some Benazepril or Lisinipril to help with that BP?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

My better half is in the last year of her dermatology residency now. Got her bachelors in Fine Arts (😆) but as noted above you have to take Bio/chem/orgo/ & physics 1 & 2. Calculus is usually a co-req for physics as well but I’m assuming you’ve already taken that with the accounting degree. She completed a post-bacc program at USC and knocked all of those courses out pretty quickly. Most PB programs will have you done in about 1 1/2- 2 years.  I’ll link the program she went to below. She started med school at 24, you aren’t much older. 

https://dornsife.usc.edu/postbaccalaureate-premedical-program 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

My better half is in the last year of her dermatology residency now. Got her bachelors in Fine Arts (😆) but as noted above you have to take Bio/chem/orgo/ & physics 1 & 2. Calculus is usually a co-req for physics as well but I’m assuming you’ve already taken that with the accounting degree. She completed a post-bacc program at USC and knocked all of those courses out pretty quickly. Most PB programs will have you done in about 1 1/2- 2 years.  I’ll link the program she went to below. She started med school at 24, you aren’t much older. 

https://dornsife.usc.edu/postbaccalaureate-premedical-program 

Does she have a sister? 😇🙃🙃

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

No joke we could use a little bit of  LDT to spice up her side of the family 😂😂 

CDC2CF87-DA51-4AEC-9909-76E13471DFBC.jpeg

Lmao 😂 man they couldn’t handle me on Thanksgiving and Christmas, it get outta hand, 

id show them what 2 semesters at Bergen community college for criminal justice is all about 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Bormio said:

It is possible, but surgeon’s careers are limited in duration.  Many are done by age 65 or maybe a bit older (again not all).  But if is a passion, go for it - no argument there.

My friend packed it in at 70..

20 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

A lot of things take talent and simply wishing for it and working hard are not sufficient.

To think otherwise is childish.

I'm sure you've gotten exactly what you worked hard enough for. If not then refer to the "MOST THINGS" in the statement, it doesn't mean everything. Silly child.

• Like 1