Biff Poggi out at SFA

Nomad

3 hours ago, BigDrop said:

Sounds like the focus will be to keep the school open.  Funding the football team may be a distant second. That’s a lot of money for 60 or more to run around the U. S. playing football especially with the emergence of the delta variant.

For Poggi I found the comment about his daughter entering Michigan interesting.

GardenStateBaller, I have no information to support my comment above.  It is just pure conjecture at best. I want to be clear about this.

But, it is a serious question:  with Poggi gone who is going to financially support the athletic programs of SFA?  Who will pay the travel?  Are the athletes mostly on scholarship?  Can the school afford to carry them?  How has the pandemic affected the overall financial health of SFA?

GSB, you’ve spent several years building your credibility nationally.  For yourself I would privately confirm that SFA is able to move forward as planned with Poggi totally breaking his ties to the school for two years as reported above.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BigDrop said:

GardenStateBaller, I have no information to support my comment above.  It is just pure conjecture at best. I want to be clear about this.

But, it is a serious question:  with Poggi gone who is going to financially support the athletic programs of SFA?  Who will pay the travel?  Are the athletes mostly on scholarship?  Can the school afford to carry them?  How has the pandemic affected the overall financial health of SFA?

GSB, you’ve spent several years building your credibility nationally.  For yourself I would privately confirm that SFA is able to move forward as planned with Poggi totally breaking his ties to the school for two years as reported above.

Although Biff willl be physically gone next season, his support will be there indirectly. Thanks to his past, present and future efforts there are many philanthropic third parties stepping up long-term. For example, SFA just got a food services company to donate three meals per day during school years for the foreseeable future. To boot SFA will have the toughest 2021 schedule in HSFB. The program is as healthy as its ever been. 

2 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

The landscape of high school football is changing... Probably again, away from that dream of a super league. Wasn't Poggi practically the spearhead for the whole cockamamie thing?

Endeavor, IMGs owner, was trying to do such. The concept failed because none of the other programs involved were willing to schedule IMG annually. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

I’m very confused by that,

I thought SFA was a regular private, regular Privates can’t reclassify their kids and continue to play there  as 5th year Seniors 

They do reclass a few kids each year. They're still technically sanctioned by the MIAA and MIAA rules on the matter are essentially "don't be 20 or older when the school year starts."  It's not unheard of among the Maryland privates, but they usually do it before high school. Having a kid go through 8th grade in the public school system and then enter your school as an 8th grader is the most common way to go about it. SFA and Avalon (an equally shady, but much less well-funded program in Montgomery County that produced Trevon Diggs and others) are the only ones I know that do it with kids who've already started high school. It puts the kids at risk of being ineligible with the NCAA as well, as you have 4 years from when you start high school to get all of your Clearinghouse requirements knocked out or you risk an automatic academic redshirt. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Although Biff willl be physically gone next season, his support will be there indirectly. Thanks to his past, present and future efforts there are many philanthropic third parties stepping up long-term. For example, SFA just got a food services company to donate three meals per day during the school year for the foreseeable future. To boot SFA will have the toughest 2021 schedule in HSFB. The program is as healthy as its ever been. 

This reads like Biff is some sort of god or transcendent being. "Although Allah's presence will not be felt physically, his support will be there indirectly for all loyal believers, insallah. Thanks to Allah's past, present and future efforts, there are many Mu'min stepping up long-term to ensure that His people will be taken care of, Shukar Alhamdulillah. This will be our most prosperous year on record as we overcome the greatest tests the kuffar have to offer. Islam is as healthy as it has ever been."

On a serious note, hope none of the SFA kids wanted to go to Michigan, as per the Sun, they "agreed not to recruit any Saint Frances players for the next two years."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, eaglesinsider said:

This reads like Biff is some sort of god or transcendent being. "Although Allah's presence will not be felt physically, his support will be there indirectly for all loyal believers, insallah. Thanks to Allah's past, present and future efforts, there are many Mu'min stepping up long-term to ensure that His people will be taken care of, Shukar Alhamdulillah. This will be our most prosperous year on record as we overcome the greatest tests the kuffar have to offer. Islam is as healthy as it has ever been."

On a serious note, hope none of the SFA kids wanted to go to Michigan, as per the Sun, they "agreed not to recruit any Saint Frances players for the next two years."

Biff is a great human being. A rain-maker and difference-maker in every way. Try to find a former Gilman/SFA player that says anything negative about him. He has cast a wide "fishing net" over SFA that will have mega-donors (both corporate and personal) supporting the school for many years to come. His network of peers and colleagues will function as an annuity for SFA going forward.  

7 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

It is. Opened in 1828. They're doing nothing different than the BNUs do re "pink-shirting." 

Name one 19 year old that played in BNU, shit Guy said you can turn 20 and still be able to play football  as long as you turn 20 after august

thats ridiculous and does not happen near us, punk shit or not

• Haha 1

Just now, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Name one 19 year old that played in BNU, shit Guy said you can turn 20 and still be able to play football  as long as you turn 20 after august

thats ridiculous and does not happen near us, punk shit or not

Don't take the bait. Without proof via valid birth certificates, that's all conjecture. The MIAA rules are no different than the BNUs. 

2 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Although Biff willl be physically gone next season, his support will be there indirectly. Thanks to his past, present and future efforts there are many philanthropic third parties stepping up long-term. For example, SFA just got a food services company to donate three meals per day during school years for the foreseeable future. To boot SFA will have the toughest 2021 schedule in HSFB. The program is as healthy as its ever been. 

Do the athletes live in off campus housing? Who pays for this? I understand ESPN will fund the one game but who will fund the others, either the travel of SFA or some kind of guarantee for the OOS teams who will visit them?  Are gate receipts enough to cover home expenses as well?  How many will sit in the home stands now that Poggi is no longer involved?  Revenue from this? I also have an impression that SFA was in a marginal financial situation before Poggi got involved.  Am I wrong?  Especially after the pandemic how is their financial health without him actively involved?

GC and DM present interesting alternatives for SFA athletes.  Without Poggi it would seem there might be some consideration of them.  Is DM on ESPN again this year?

Michigan sounds like it wants a complete two year break between Poggi and SFA.  That’s strong.  A relationship like SFA can also be financially concerning as one gets closer to retirement.  Poggi may not want the SFA kind of relationship with any school at age 64.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Endeavor, IMGs owner, was trying to do such. The concept failed because none of the other programs involved were willing to schedule IMG annually. 

Your failures are starting to compare with trump's........he had excuses too.

#nosuperleague

25 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Your failures are starting to compare with trump's........he had excuses too.

#nosuperleague

The MIAA (MD) is made out of 29 private schools. And the Big North Conference (NJ) is comprised of 41 public and private schools. So I can see how that “super league” concept could sound like a good idea for some east coast people. 

30 minutes ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

The MIAA (MD) is made out of 29 private schools. And the Big North Conference (NJ) is comprised of 41 public and private schools. So I can see how that “super league” concept could sound like a good idea for some east coast people. 

Will never happen as said schools would be required to forego their respective State Championship opportunities to participate in a Super League.  

4 hours ago, BigDrop said:

Do the athletes live in off campus housing? Who pays for this? I understand ESPN will fund the one game but who will fund the others, either the travel of SFA or some kind of guarantee for the OOS teams who will visit them?  Are gate receipts enough to cover home expenses as well?  How many will sit in the home stands now that Poggi is no longer involved?  Revenue from this? I also have an impression that SFA was in a marginal financial situation before Poggi got involved.  Am I wrong?  Especially after the pandemic how is their financial health without him actively involved?

GC and DM present interesting alternatives for SFA athletes.  Without Poggi it would seem there might be some consideration of them.  Is DM on ESPN again this year?

Michigan sounds like it wants a complete two year break between Poggi and SFA.  That’s strong.  A relationship like SFA can also be financially concerning as one gets closer to retirement.  Poggi may not want the SFA kind of relationship with any school at age 64.

Go to the SFA website and check out it’s Board of Directors. Then review their profiles on LinkedIn. You’ll find that the majority of them are wealthy, influential people from companies in the DMV region (Carroll Fuel, Legg Mason, UMD Medical, Bay Construction, BG&E, Georgetown Strategies, Brown Advisory, Black Diamond Financial) who are all committed to never allowing SFA to fail. Also, remember that PGL will be paying out in excess of $1.5M in streaming fees to its client members over the next four years. Rest assured that up and coming, high-profile programs like SFA, BS, LCA, CAI, etc. will all benefit monetarily from being integral parts of our current and future broadcast schedules, which will always prioritize quality, inter-state matchups. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

A few years ago Endeavor invited all of us down to Bradenton to discuss the opptys. Nobody ever said this concept was a reality. Carry on.  

Still remember seeing a home game at Manatee in the ‘90’s and ending up at a frozen custard drive in which was a main hang out for the school.

That was a great night:  it was what hs football was all about.

IMG wouldn’t know good frozen custard if they tasted it.  Manatee and Joe Kinnan ruled the Gulf coast of Florida.  In some years maybe the state, too.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

Still remember seeing a home game at Manatee in the ‘90’s and ending up at a frozen custard drive in which was a main hang out for the school.

That was a great night:  it was what hs football was all about.

IMG wouldn’t know good frozen custard if they tasted it.  Manatee and Joe Kinnan ruled the Gulf coast of Florida.  In some years maybe the state, too.

Kinnan was indeed one of the greats in FL. IMO the home loss to DBP in 2011 was the start of the program's downward spiral. 

18 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Kinnan was indeed one of the greats in FL. IMO the home loss to DBP in 2011 was the start of the program's downward spiral. 

The following year they were ranked #1 in polls until STA upset them in the playoffs and John Curtis took the majority of polls, once the TX #1 lost. 

• Thanks 2