What's going to happen to DLS?

Elliot Hulsez

50 minutes ago, FreeBird said:

You wanna know what happened to DLS??? I’ll tell ya, Don Bosco Prep Bent them over and exposed the Veer

This is not that far off, but its more than that.  More exposure, better scouting and preparation and more teams emulating DLS's workouts has more to do with it.  Teams, especially the elite ones with more overall physical talent and deeper rosters, became more familiar with what DLS was going to do and were able to stop it while DLS has rarely been in position to change.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rippers said:

I probably know more about DLS history that you do and my statement will most likely end up correct.  They are DLS so they should be what they have been since about 2010, which since you apparently want to take my comment literally season by season, means they have the potential to be either completely dominant or they'll just be very good.   Since you mentioned the only 2 times over the course of 12 years that they were dominant in to attempt to say I am wrong, I'd say my projection is most likely not going to be that far off. 

I didn’t know you’d get so offended by casual conversation about high school football, but ok.

And what do you mean they were dominant “only two times in 12 years”? From 2010 to 2012 they only lost once and that was to STA in Florida, and they had a 40 game winning streak before getting edged out by two field goals against Josh Rosen and Bosco’s first super team in 2013. They then went undefeated in 2014 and were national champs in 2015. A total record of 75-3 over the six-year period. I just don’t know what you’re talking about.

11 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

Last season was a carryover from the craziness of the pandemic . Team and coaches lost their way in all facets as to the way they prepared . With that said , they should never have lost that game to SF Mountain view nor to Folsom . Folsom game was the spartans were way over confident and playing in the loser's bracket state playoffs . The incentive was just not there for them , thus they weren't prepared in the least . For Folsom it was there biggest game ever probably . Game had two different incentives for both teams  

1) Every team dealt with the same issues due to the pandemic. No excuse. 

2) DLS wasn't prepared for Folsom? They were up 14-0 in the first quarter and the touchdowns were off  trick plays. They also had an onside kick in the 1st quarter. Sorry but DLS went in focused and prepared they just got beat by a peaking Folsom. 

3) The truth is Folsom realized all they had to do was stack the box to beat DLS since they had hardly any passing game.

4) DLS had no incentive? Leading up to the game all I heard was how DLS was going to curb stomp norcal to prove to the CIF they made the wrong choice by selecting Serra to go to the Open. Turns out it was the right decision all along. You think the players on DLS didn't try their asses off?!  You think they weren't already pissed about being the team responsible for losing the norcal streak? I saw multiple DLS players crying after the game. 

Lastly, I want to be clear that I respect the hell out of DLS and always root for that program but let's be honest, they aren't what they used to be. They've had too much coaching turn over and no longer get the big time recruits that they used to. No matter how you to spin it, DLS lost to 2 Norcal teams in one year and one of them was at HOME in the playoffs. 

32 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

I didn’t know you’d get so offended by casual conversation about high school football, but ok.

And what do you mean they were dominant “only two times in 12 years”? From 2010 to 2012 they only lost once and that was to STA in Florida, and they had a 40 game winning streak before getting edged out by two field goals against Josh Rosen and Bosco’s first super team in 2013. They then went undefeated in 2014 and were national champs in 2015. A total record of 75-3 over the six-year period. I just don’t know what you’re talking about.

Again, you want to be specific and go year by year.  Obviously my point has gone over your head.  Ok then.  From 2010 to 2015, they were still considered among the nationally elite.    From 2015 to 2020, they were considered very good on the national scale.   The difference between the two?  Results against elite out of state opponents, results in the CIF state title game and peoples personal opinion on what defines dominance.  I am not saying DLS was not elite or dominant every year because they were.  I am talking about national perception.  We'll find out if last year was an anomaly or a sign of things to come. 

This years team will most likely be very good but because they are DLS and because of their schedule, they still have the chance to be considered nationally elite at seasons end.   And I am the offended one?

42 minutes ago, Extremely Humble said:

1) Every team dealt with the same issues due to the pandemic. No excuse. 

2) DLS wasn't prepared for Folsom? They were up 14-0 in the first quarter and the touchdowns were off  trick plays. They also had an onside kick in the 1st quarter. Sorry but DLS went in focused and prepared they just got beat by a peaking Folsom. 

3) The truth is Folsom realized all they had to do was stack the box to beat DLS since they had hardly any passing game.

4) DLS had no incentive? Leading up to the game all I heard was how DLS was going to curb stomp norcal to prove to the CIF they made the wrong choice by selecting Serra to go to the Open. Turns out it was the right decision all along. You think the players on DLS didn't try their asses off?!  You think they weren't already pissed about being the team responsible for losing the norcal streak? I saw multiple DLS players crying after the game. 

Lastly, I want to be clear that I respect the hell out of DLS and always root for that program but let's be honest, they aren't what they used to be. They've had too much coaching turn over and no longer get the big time recruits that they used to. No matter how you to spin it, DLS lost to 2 Norcal teams in one year and one of them was at HOME in the playoffs. 

Yes, they did lose . The question was is this the norm or was it an outlier ?  You just have no clue as to the inner workings and psych of the program .  You only look at the face value, never able to uncover or decipher what determined the out come. When DLS had their game face on , they destroyed both you and CC . That playoff game DLS was lethargic , sloppy, and just unprepared . Four turnovers and 12 penalties in first half alone proved that. They should have blown that game wide open . It is true that they always get hosed by the refs vs Folsom and any other team in Norcal . Even when the crushed Folsom earlier , I think they were still flagged close to 20 times . The difference was they were a step slow all night. They just weren't emotionally up for the game . Folsom is a good team , so not being up for game as usual, to's, penalties etc. , and you lose by a point . If DLS doesn't run the table this season in Norcal, then I will reassess . And yes, the coaches seem to have lost their edge also . Shitty preparation for both games vs. Folsom and SF  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoBigBlack said:

They had lots of great teams, but this one was solid across the board, played exceptionally well together, and had loads of future success. You could argue others were better, but that was the best by far from 2003 to 2012, imo. 

No way are they better then 2003.

If you give the 2004-2010 time-frame yes

The 2011 team had Hooper, Barton, Williams,  Hutchings, Egu, Moffitt, Allen, Griffin, Tautalatasi, Houston, and Rosales. This team played STA. Something the 2010 team didn't do. 

26 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

It is true that they always get hosed by the refs vs Folsom and any other team in Norcal .

DLS had 2 questionable touchdowns in the game that easily could have been called the other way. The refs actually kept DLS in the game to be honest. I can show video if you want. 

Regardless, DLS is still cream of the crop in Norcal but they are no longer the team everyone fears and the other top teams have nearly caught up. 

3 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Seems like DLS will always be a powerhouse for the most part. They don't seem to be willing to enter the talent arms race that seems to be the new norm for the top 10 to 20 schools these days. 

Anywhere in the top 100 isn't anything to sneeze at. I figure they'll be a staple in the top 100 for the forseeable future. 

Nah, DLS is just a regular team like most everyone else. 

They should play John Curtis every year in the Veer Bowl.

50 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Nah, DLS is just a regular team like most everyone else. 

They should play John Curtis every year in the Veer Bowl.

Would DLS win one Trinity League game this year?

Maybe DLS could possibly beat Servite. Servite seems to struggle with brand names regardless of history.

3 hours ago, Extremely Humble said:

DLS had 2 questionable touchdowns in the game that easily could have been called the other way. The refs actually kept DLS in the game to be honest. I can show video if you want. 

Regardless, DLS is still cream of the crop in Norcal but they are no longer the team everyone fears and the other top teams have nearly caught up. 

Before last season could you say that ? Don't be so short sighted

5 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

Yes, they did lose . The question was is this the norm or was it an outlier ?  You just have no clue as to the inner workings and psych of the program .  You only look at the face value, never able to uncover or decipher what determined the out come. When DLS had their game face on , they destroyed both you and CC . That playoff game DLS was lethargic , sloppy, and just unprepared . Four turnovers and 12 penalties in first half alone proved that. They should have blown that game wide open . It is true that they always get hosed by the refs vs Folsom and any other team in Norcal . Even when the crushed Folsom earlier , I think they were still flagged close to 20 times . The difference was they were a step slow all night. They just weren't emotionally up for the game . Folsom is a good team , so not being up for game as usual, to's, penalties etc. , and you lose by a point . If DLS doesn't run the table this season in Norcal, then I will reassess . And yes, the coaches seem to have lost their edge also . Shitty preparation for both games vs. Folsom and SF  

This is 100% on the Money!!!…. I know enough people overthere and have watched DLS for so many years, everything you say is correct…. The players Took SF lightly because in 2019 they beat them 48-0 and they thought they were just going to steamroll SF…. Instead, DLS got punched in the mouth and couldn’t recover in time….

DLS players were totally deflated to not go to the open and thought they were just going to “Show Up” and beat Folsom due to their 5-0 record against Folsom with no games being closer then 2 TD’s….. They had an awful week of practice Leading up to the Second Folsom game from what I heard…. JA started the Game with the trick plays because he was trying to get them fired up and rolling…. Instead they became complacent and played lethargic….

And none of them wanted to play in a lower level SBG against a SSD2 Team or SDCC who they had already beat by 4TD’s…. The kids all felt they were hosed out of the open because they had already beaten both Folsom and SDCC and Serra got Smoked by SF and didn’t even win their league….

The Game that showed me something was different in the program was the SFA game…. I have never seen a DLS game in person where the DLS defense looked afraid to hit the other teams players…. DLS looked like they expected to lose that game and were just going though the motions…. 

There is a reason there is no Big Time OOS game on DLS’s Schedule this year…. The team is just not ready for it….

The coaching turnover in 2021 was a real issue and it will be a work in progress going forward…. JA is a great Coach and Mentor to young men, but he needs some great coaching help around him….. Lad always had TE who was just as much respected by the kids as Lad…. JA doesn’t have that right now….

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Extremely Humble said:

@THEOC89@CaliNorth something we haven’t even discussed yet is how badly Folsom frosh and Jv teams smoked DLS. Almost running clocks. Folsom has some ballers coming up this year to varsity. I’m predicting a close game. 

JV games aren't good indicators ever.  The best sophomores are usually already playing varsity

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Extremely Humble said:

You don’t think Folsom had sophomores on varsity? I do think it’s an indicator on the possible depth both teams will have. 

Sure, but i guarantee if you go look at DLS throughout the years,  their best sophomores at a very high percentage of the time don't play JV

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Extremely Humble said:

@THEOC89@CaliNorth something we haven’t even discussed yet is how badly Folsom frosh and Jv teams smoked DLS. Almost running clocks. Folsom has some ballers coming up this year to varsity. I’m predicting a close game. 

I totally agree with you…. If I was betting on the game I would take Folsom….. 

Like I said, There is a Reason DLS did not schedule a big time Opponent this year…. That should tell you all you need to know about where JA feels  his program is at….

On a side note, who will be the QB for Folsom this year?…. Is it the kid who was brought up from JV last year when the starter Tremain was hurt?…. I thought he was really talented eventhough they lost a couple games when he played….

4 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Sure, but i guarantee if you go look at DLS throughout the years,  their best sophomores at a very high percentage of the time don't play JV

This is very true…. Even during the Streak years DLS JV and Frosh would lose multiple games….

And while a lot of people think that DLS FB players are Recruited in, that is  simplest not the case… A high percentage of Frosh FB players at DLS every year have never even played FB before….

1 hour ago, THEOC89 said:

I totally agree with you…. If I was betting on the game I would take Folsom….. 

Like I said, There is a Reason DLS did not schedule a big time Opponent this year…. That should tell you all you need to know about where JA feels  his program is at….

On a side note, who will be the QB for Folsom this year?…. Is it the kid who was brought up from JV last year when the starter Tremain was hurt?…. I thought he was really talented eventhough they lost a couple games when he played….

Yes Austin Mack. A lot of hype behind him because he’s 6’5. I believe DLS also has a hyped tall Qb as well. 

https://247sports.com/player/austin-mack-46114574/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

This is very true…. Even during the Streak years DLS JV and Frosh would lose multiple games….

And while a lot of people think that DLS FB players are Recruited in, that is  simplest not the case… A high percentage of Frosh FB players at DLS every year have never even played FB before….

And... Bob Ladouceur didn't coach the JV team.

On 6/3/2022 at 2:17 PM, steeler01 said:

No way are they better then 2003.

If you give the 2004-2010 time-frame yes

The 2011 team had Hooper, Barton, Williams,  Hutchings, Egu, Moffitt, Allen, Griffin, Tautalatasi, Houston, and Rosales. This team played STA. Something the 2010 team didn't do. 

A STA team that had no where near the offensive firepower that the 2010 team had.    

You also have to remember the national perspective back in the 2010.  The few years leading up to 2010 Florida teams were really going out and playing huge OOS matchups.    

I mean just in 2010 you had...

-The Dwyer v Glenville robbery (Dwyer was not really a big name at the time)

-Miramar going to Desoto and losing going for 2 in OT.  

-Cocoa getting past Abeline and crushing Thomas Jeff PA.  Also beating Olive Branch.  

-Manatee crushing Woodland Hills Pa

-MCentral and STA playing Camden Ga

-MCentral  smoking Pratville Al

-Pine Forrest beating Baton Rouge Cathlic

-STA crushing Skyline TX

-Glades Central edging out Skyline TX

etc etc

Not only did 2010 STA smoke their OOS opponents, but a bunch of their in state opponents had excellent national exposure.   For example....

Miramar: put up 41 vs Desoto (in TX), they had more passing yards AND rushing yards (more penalty yards too 😂).   

Vs STA (in Miramar)  only 7 pts.

Cypress Bay:  Lost to MC 30-27 in a playoff classic.    Yeah that's Davonte Freeman running the ball for MC lol.  

Vs STA at home 14-60 L

Manatee: undefeated with a crushing OOS 39-16W vs Woodland Hills in PA.   Smoked By STA  31-7.    Manatee was an excellent squad at the time.   Lots of talent.  Upset STA in 2009.  

Plant:   Lost 17-27 early season to Abeline TX.   They had the #1 LB/RB at the time in James Wilder.   Beat Lakeland 48-6 in the Semis.

Smoked by STA 29-7 in finals.  

**Important relevance here**
Keep in mind Lakeland had just the year prior gone to Cali and beaten DLS  in a fairly controversially officiated game in 2009.  That same year Plant went on to beat Lakeland 20-0, while DLS won Cali open.  This just adds to the inferior 2011 STA team beating another open bowl winning DLS in 2011.    So basically we have two examples of Florida comparing favorably to DLS sandwiched around this debated 2010 season. 

No idea how even Calpreps gets around that sandwhich and all the positive OOS ties STA had and decided DLS was superior.   Makes zero sense even for a computer.  

• Like 1