MNC Contenders

181pl

I wouldn't say private schools don't have any boundaries. Unless it's a boarding school the kids do have to live close enough to commute there every day. That is most privates, I know there are some outliers where kids come from far away and stay with a friend during the week or whatever but it's not the norm. 

I  have looked into this issue before and found most the kids that attend a private are usually within a 30 to 40 mile radius of the school. Some maybe a little further but rare.

6 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

The Miami-Dade School Board runs all of those schools so they can just say if a school is at capacity or not.

If a county wants to load up like, say, Polk then they can do that. There's nothing stopping them.

You have ZERO idea what is really happening in Polk. Stop listening to 19-year-old girls from Lake City.

Strictly based on the status of being public or private, there is currently an advantage for *public* schools in Florida. They have attendance zones that mostly ensure a certain number of students, and they can "attract" students from outside that zone. Private schools start with zero students and zero money; they have to recruit and raise money to exist.

BUT, of course, there are other factors that impact how effectively a program can "attract" players. Established private schools have the freedom to kick out disruptive (or worse) students; public schools have to keep them (even if they trade "expulsions" among themselves). This means they are much better equipped to provide a healthy and safe learning environment, which is ultimately going to attract many more families. And, many of the top schools (the ones who we do or may talk about here) have more wealthy alumni and parents than public schools. So, contributions- be it in high tuition or donations- end up being higher than most/all public schools. Thus, these schools tend to be able to build nicer facilities and have nicer stuff in general. This also attracts more families. Now, a lot of private schools do struggle to "keep the lights on" given that they don't have any guaranteed students. But, the upper echelon private schools do enjoy those advantages, and those advantages are at least equal to the advantages public schools enjoy.

In all, I'd say public vs. private is now a wash in Florida. BUT, urban areas are a special case. Urban areas tend to see worse learning conditions in public schools, making the difference in appeal of private over public schools much greater in those areas. It'd be much more important for me to get my kids into a private school in an urban area than it might be in a suburban area. Los Angeles Loyola High is probably dramatically better than LAUSD public high schools. J Serra isn't necessarily much better than Mission Viejo High. 

The biggest advantage for schools like STA, SJB and the other "power privates" is that they are in dense urban areas absolutely loaded with talent. And they also tend to have MUCH wealthier alumni and parents than public schools. STA doesn't have any advantage over, say, Lakeland, because they are private. They have advantages because there's so much talent within a few miles radius of the campus. (I do NOT think this is a reason to have them in separate metro and suburban classes.) It is worth making special note of what Atticus linked to earlier in this thread: Governor Rick Scott signed that bill allowing freedom of movement effective the 2017-18 school year. Before the 2017 season, some of what I said above doesn't apply. You had some of the Dade schools having mostly freedom of movement for a couple of years prior to 2017, but starting in 2017 it spread statewide. I know the first year I noticed a huge difference in transfers for Lakeland was that 2017 season...

And water is wet.

We still live in a "free" society for the time being, and some people will kill and die for that purpose.

Polk County's growth has exploded over the last 10-15 years, in ways the locals never imagined, and in ways that some don't want but can't stop.

The talent is spread out from far West Polk near the Hillsborough County line, Four Corners in the Northeast, and the South near Highlands/Hardee. There's been more movement over the last 4 years than ever before, but it continues to pale in comparison to SFla.

Frostproof (South), Lake Wales (East), Lakeland Christian (West), Lakeland (West/Central) all represented the county in Region Finals in the 4 classes. Two of them advanced to the State Semis and the other two were in their game late in the 2nd half.

The "Polk County All-Star" team is a myth fabricated by people who hate and blame this region for the current rules being passed at the state level.

The good news for those of you who hate Polk County is with the current growth rates it won't be part of the "Surburban" class much longer.

1 hour ago, Atticus Finch said:

If what I said was so obviously true then why did it trigger a 6 paragraph response that attempted to deny what I said?

Because people like that basically say nothing of actual substance to try and convince people that they actually know what they are talking about when in reality they are completely bluffing 

On 12/1/2022 at 10:06 AM, SportsMarketing said:

Because people like that basically say nothing of actual substance to try and convince people that they actually know what they are talking about when in reality they are completely bluffing 

Was overrated Lake Wales bluffing when they lifted your skirt tonight?🥱

17 minutes ago, PCGridiron said:

Was overrated Lake Wales bluffing when they lifted your skirt tonight?🥱

Ah defection the skill of a coward who doesn't know a damn thing

You blocked me like a bitch because you knew you couldn't disprove anything I said about Polk County transfers running rampant

You run your mouth and lie while hoping people are stupid enough to believe the crap you say but you will always be a discredited liar who can't even be interesting in the process

At least Los is entertaining when he lies, you can't even do that. Your boring and repeat the same lie in every thread hoping if you say it enough times someone will actually believe you 

You would be better off mimicking the redloner because while he's completely braindead at least his stupidity makes people laugh 

6 minutes ago, SportsMarketing said:

Ah defection the skill of a coward who doesn't know a damn thing

You blocked me like a bitch because you knew you couldn't disprove anything I said about Polk County transfers running rampant

You run your mouth and lie while hoping people are stupid enough to believe the crap you say but you will always be a discredited liar who can't even be interesting in the process

At least Los is entertaining when he lies, you can't even do that. Your boring and repeat the same lie in every thread hoping if you say it enough times someone will actually believe you 

You would be better off mimicking the redloner because while he's completely braindead at least his stupidity makes people laugh 

ColumbiaFan is back, strangely with a California flag! 

28 minutes ago, PCGridiron said:

Save the tough schedule lie for another day, Lake Wales is better than every team you played except SJP.

And tell you admin people to keep those numbers between 4M and 2M. 😉

I don’t think they care about 4M.. Who would beat them in 4M? They would dominate 2M with the exception of Miami Central, And that would probably be a pretty good game with the outcome changing from season to season. I think Saint Thomas keeps their numbers where they do not to avoid competition, but rather to play the best. For years they were playing, Lakeland, manatee, plant, Venice, etc. They certainly weren’t hiding from Central Florida or Miami Columbus

2 hours ago, 181pl said:

I think Saint Thomas keeps their numbers where they do not to avoid competition, but rather to play the best. For years they were playing, Lakeland, manatee, plant, Venice, etc. They certainly weren’t hiding from Central Florida or Miami Columbus

Anybody who thinks the enrollment is manipulated with football classifications in mind is a moron.

• Like 1