Valdosta Wildcats expected to travel to Ohio this season to take on the Massillon Tigers

Ga96

The board has approved and and seems that both sides have agreed to the matchup. Valdosta has tried to do these matchups in the past but they were turned down back then. Even went as far as the Valdosta mayor trying to set the games up.

#1 in Wins in the nation vs #3. 

I expect Valdosta to win in a close one

2 minutes ago, Ga96 said:

The board has approved and and seems that both sides have agreed to the matchup. Valdosta has tried to do these matchups in the past but they were turned down back then. Even went as far as the Valdosta mayor trying to set the games up.

#1 in Wins in the nation vs #3. 

I expect Valdosta to win in a close one

You might want to wait until I make my pick in the pickem to pick a winner if that game takes place.

2 hours ago, Rufus69 said:

Very surprised that Valdosta is willing to spend those kind of pesos.........................to travel.

Absolutely no sense to it.

They could play an Alabama team in Bazemore-Hyder and pack the stadium.  Somebody in Azalea City ain't thinking real clearly.

Rufus>>

Massillon always pays the big bucks for teams to come play there. It's quite an experience as well. They put on a good show. They will love it.

Paul Brown – The Massillon Years - Dawgs By Nature

The Live "Obie" Tiger Mascot | Massillon Washington High School Alumni  Association

Amy the Mom: Back to Ohio

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

All that is just wonderful.

You got any idea how much the Cats will spend on a trip like that?

Maybe if Valdosta takes 25 players and their 25 coaches and Massillon pays out $40,000....they might could break even.

It just doesn't make financial sense.

Rufus>>

Probably not paying nothing. It's part of a series of games "NE Ohio Classic"

Massillon only plays 2 or 3 road games a year. Their pockets are real deep. They want you to consider it a privilege to be invited to play there and experience it. We went with ECA some years back and Middletown,DE went last year and paid nothing. Middletown is going back up again this year. For whatever reason be it jealousy or whatever the local teams don't want to play them other than their league games they have to play

https://massillontigers.com/schedules/future-varsity-schedules/

49 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Knowing Valdosta this is a Home & Home type deal.... 

Hope Valdosta is good next season... 

doubtful. I can't remember the last time Massillon has travelled out of state. Let alone to Georgia. I don't know if it is still the same but Ohio teams were never allowed to travel out of state but to neighboring states. 

35 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

All that is just wonderful.

You got any idea how much the Cats will spend on a trip like that?

Maybe if Valdosta takes 25 players and their 25 coaches and Massillon pays out $40,000....they might could break even.

It just doesn't make financial sense.

Rufus>>

Why can every team in the country that  travels OOS always seem to make it happen except Georgia teams? Why are they always the exception? Just Milton and CG it seems 

And you don’t have to take 125 kids. Funny how Milton and Cedar Grove can always make it happen no issue. 

you either want to do it or you don’t it’s that simple

3 minutes ago, OldTerrapin said:

doubtful. I can't remember the last time Massillon has travelled out of state. Let alone to Georgia. I don't know if it is still the same but but Ohio teams were never allowed to travel out of state but to neighboring states. 

Though Im pretty sure both schools are closed now... 

Steele (Dayton,OH) used to come to Atlanta to play Tech HS (Atlanta,GA) 

They split the travels 3 in GA 3 in OH... 

But Tech Won the series 4-2

47 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Though Im pretty sure both schools are closed now... 

Steele (Dayton,OH) used to come to Atlanta to play Tech HS (Atlanta,GA) 

They split the travels 3 in GA 3 in OH... 

But Tech Won the series 4-2

They can now but only 1 time

Bylaw 9-2-1 reads: Schools may travel out of state to compete in contests in states or provinces in Canada that border Ohio regardless of distance to travel. The states are Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. The province is Ontario. Additionally, schools may travel out of state one time per sport per interscholastic season to compete in contests in any location that does not border Ohio subject to approval from the Executive Director’s Office

14 minutes ago, OldTerrapin said:

They can now but only 1 time

Bylaw 9-2-1 reads: Schools may travel out of state to compete in contests in states or provinces in Canada that border Ohio regardless of distance to travel. The states are Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. The province is Ontario. Additionally, schools may travel out of state one time per sport per interscholastic season to compete in contests in any location that does not border Ohio subject to approval from the Executive Director’s Office

Until this year the rule also said that no school time could be missed which eliminated the possibility of using Friday as a travel day for a game on Saturday.  That's not the case anymore.

• Thanks 1