Nick Saban is retiring per ESPN.

HooverOutlaw

11 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Jim and Company could NOT even land this guy and he went to high school 30 minutes from Ann Arbor.

Kids in Michigan hate Michigan. They would rather go to Michigan State.

#LSU

https://247sports.com/player/bryce-underwood-46113169/

Michigan signed 27 prospects this past recruiting cycle.

Just from Michigan.

The hate is strong and real!

There's no reason to believe Ohio St. or Penn St. have any edge over Michigan. All three can win at the highest level with the right coach. 

None of this is to deny that Harbaugh is a great coach! But, the impact of fan support and the money that comes with it is undervalued here. Schools like Miami, UCLA, Georgia Tech and even the Bay area schools are all better positioned geographically than Michigan. Yet, none of them will ever have the chance to have sustained success comparable to Michigan. And, it's because of the huge disparity in fan support and money.

5 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Michigan signed 27 prospects this past recruiting cycle.

Just from Michigan.

The hate is strong and real!

LSU signed 29 prospects this past recruiting cycle.

20 from Louisiana. 

Louisiana has 5 transfer portal commits so far.

from Louisiana.

I don't care what anybody says that's pretty impressive.

12 minutes ago, badrouter said:

There's no reason to believe Ohio St. or Penn St. have any edge over Michigan. All three can win at the highest level with the right coach. 

All can win at the highest level sure, but Ohio State and to a lesser degree Penn State have a lot more talent than the state of Michigan. Those teams are the flag bearers of their states and the kids usually grow up wanting to be a part of that school. 

12 minutes ago, badrouter said:

None of this is to deny that Harbaugh is a great coach! But, the impact of fan support and the money that comes with it is undervalued here. Schools like Miami, UCLA, Georgia Tech and even the Bay area schools are all better positioned geographically than Michigan. Yet, none of them will ever have the chance to have sustained success comparable to Michigan. And, it's because of the huge disparity in fan support and money.

The bay area has schools that are academically powerhouses and don't spend on football. Nor care to. 

UCLA is 2nd fiddle in Southern California. They're the Clippers of LA in college football. 

Miami has had more success than Michigan has ever had.  They're in a talent rich area,  but haven't been able to keep their players home recently. 

5 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

All can win at the highest level sure, but Ohio State and to a lesser degree Penn State have a lot more talent than the state of Michigan. Those teams are the flag bearers of their states and the kids usually grow up wanting to be a part of that school. 

The bay area has schools that are academically powerhouses and don't spend on football. Nor care to. 

UCLA is 2nd fiddle in Southern California. They're the Clippers of LA in college football. 

Miami has had more success than Michigan has ever had.  They're in a talent rich area,  but haven't been able to keep their players home recently. 

Georgia Tech=UCLA. 2nd fiddle in their immediate area. 

2 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

This is patently false. The only way you can make it true is to revise and refer exclusively to national championships won. It's not the case with all-time wins; it's not the case with all-time All-Americans and it's not the case with all-time NFL draft picks. And Miami got all of their titles in a relatively small window of time, and while playing several of the title games on their home field. Miami football is like, but lesser than, UCLA basketball.

The value of the talent level specifically in a home state is vastly overstated. How does the talent in the state of Alabama compare to the talent in many other states?  

9 minutes ago, badrouter said:

This is patently false. The only way you can make it true is to revise and refer exclusively to national championships won. It's not the case with all-time wins;

Michigan has been playing football since 1897. You think anyone cares about wins when nobody here was born?

it's not the case with all-time All-Americans and it's not the case with all-time NFL draft picks. And Miami got all of their titles in a relatively small window of time, and while playing several of the title games on their home field. Miami football is like, but lesser than, UCLA basketball.

Miami football has been a much better program in modern times than Michigan and it's not close. 

The value of the talent level specifically in a home state is vastly overstated. How does the talent in the state of Alabama compare to the talent in many other states?  

Alabama has very good defensive lineman every year. They're probably the state with the most talented defensive lineman annually,  and they're not far from places with immense talent

293 miles to New Orleans

202 miles to Atlanta

312 miles to Tallahassee

238 miles to Memphis

Michigan to Cleveland 249 miles and they're getting players that Ohio State usually doesn't want(Including Charles Woodson)

Michigan to St. Louis 509 miles

Michigan to Philly 582 miles

After that, they're 1k+ miles to Florida,  Texas,  Cali, Georgia and Louisiana.

19 hours ago, badrouter said:

There's truth to this, but it omits some key facts. Michigan is the winningest program in college football history, has the largest stadium in the western hemispehere, and has an incredible list of famous alumni from all over the country. They are very well supported, and so they have loads of money (NIL), facilities and other resources. 

That's why they can overcome the geographical and institutional hurdles and be one of the 18-20 that *can* win a championship.

14 hours ago, badrouter said:

There's no reason to believe Ohio St. or Penn St. have any edge over Michigan.

The high school football is better in both those states than it is in Michigan. Might even *far* better. That's the geography part.

They also don't have the academic reputation/aspirations that Michigan does. That's the institutional part.

4 hours ago, RedZone said:

Yet Satan was an OT away from clubbing Washington for another National Championship.

Alabama vs Michigan was the National Championship game in most people's minds.

Go figure

That's why he was clubbed by Texas.  When's the last time they lost two times in a year with none of them coming to an SEC opponent.

37 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

That's why they can overcome the geographical and institutional hurdles and be one of the 18-20 that *can* win a championship.

They are a blue blood program. North of the Mason-Dixon line, there's Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame and Penn St.

It's going to be interesting to see how they do next year with arguably the main strength of their team over the last 3 seasons (their o-line) finally getting gutted due to graduation and the draft. In fact, they are losing a ton of starters all over. McCarthy announces today, I understand, and I can't see the upside for him staying given the loss of said o-line, looming potential NCAA sanctions and Harbaugh interviewing for the NFL.

Despite the recent success, recruiting has not picked up and there appears to be little going on for them in the portal.

I knew I had seen an article related to some of this discussion about Michigan.  I finally got a chance to look for it.  Here's a couple of charts:

First, HS participation (absolute numbers) is falling more rapidly in Michigan than most states (all states shown, but CA, NC, and MI falling fastest):

image.png.642c7d0e7b1e1d4652040dba43851d34.png

Where Harbaugh got his players by region:

image.png.be0c8f175644335b1e1f0fc4540d3fc4.png

Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/01/07/michigan-tackle-football-participation/

Another fun fact from the article.  Michigan is one of only 4 schools not from the South to reach the championship game in the playoff era (I think that means the other 3 are Ohio State, Oregon, and Washington).

• Like 2

15 hours ago, steeler01 said:

Michigan has been playing football since 1897. You think anyone cares about wins when nobody here was born?

Miami football has been a much better program in modern times than Michigan and it's not close.

Perhaps you're showing your age. Because the era between ~ 1981 and 2003 does not represent "modern times". And that's the ONLY era in which Miami even hangs with Michigan.

I think you have a blind spot in regards to Michigan.

37 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

I knew I had seen an article related to some of this discussion about Michigan.  I finally got a chance to look for it.  Here's a couple of charts:

First, HS participation (absolute numbers) is falling more rapidly in Michigan than most states (all states shown, but CA, NC, and MI falling fastest):

Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/01/07/michigan-tackle-football-participation/

Another fun fact from the article.  Michigan is one of only 4 schools not from the South to reach the championship game in the playoff era (I think that means the other 3 are Ohio State, Oregon, and Washington).

And I think participation will continue to drop. In 50 or 100 years, the sport may have evolved to be something like 7v7 and without pads. Or maybe it'll be like boxing today, where a very small number of crazy, desperate people play to put food on their tables. 

27 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Perhaps you're showing your age. Because the era between ~ 1981 and 2003 does not represent "modern times". And that's the ONLY era in which Miami even hangs with Michigan.

1981-2003 is a lot more modern then counting wins from the roaring 20's. I also don't include football before integration.

I think you should add till 2005. After that,  both teams struggled. 

1 hour ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Is there a graph for Ohio state and Penn State with the same breakdown?

Some of you clowns are totally ridiculous.

Notre Dame signed the #10 class this past recruiting cycle.

@31 commits averaging a 90.69 rating per commit.

Michigan signed the #20 class this past recruiting cycle.

@29 commits averaging a 90.20 rating per commit.

For a whopping difference of .49

😆😭😆

It's like their recruiting classes are almost identical.

2 hours ago, steeler01 said:

That's why he was clubbed by Texas.  When's the last time they lost two times in a year with none of them coming to an SEC opponent.

Ok, Satan did NOT retire because he's pushing 75 years old. 

He was expected to coach until he was 97, I guess.

4 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Some of you clowns are totally ridiculous.

Notre Dame signed the #10 class this past recruiting cycle.

@31 commits averaging a 90.69 rating per commit.

Michigan signed the #20 class this past recruiting cycle.

@29 commits averaging a 90.20 rating per commit.

For a whopping difference of .49

😆😭😆

It's like their recruiting classes are almost identical.

If Jim could recruit Michigan better his job would be so much easier, but they hate Jim in Michigan.

Grandpa Satan!

Got the young one's roaming the football earth now.

"And while the average age of new head coaching hires was actually up from 43.0 in 2022 to 46.7 this year, the young are inheriting the Earth. Seven of the 24 new FBS hires are under the age of 40."