Nick Saban is retiring per ESPN.

HooverOutlaw

2 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

You ignorant of limits back then you 140 for both football and basketball. Basketball got 20 because of having jv teams then. Leaving 120 for football that's 30 per class freshman could not play so left 90 only 5 more than today's 85. Plus everyone played by the same rules just not as smart as Bryant. 

I love when idiots are wrong and are smug about it.

No, there were no scholarship restrictions until 1973.

NCAA Football: A Brief History of NCAA Football Scholarships

1973 brought about the first limitations on football scholarships in order to free up money for women's sports after Title IX was passed by Congress in 1972 as part of the Equal Opportunity in Education Act. This caused the NCAA schools' presidents and athletic directors to push through a limit of 105 football scholarships. Additional reductions were made in 1978 (95) and again in 1992 which brought the limit to its present number of 85 and 63 for Division I-AA.

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

That simply isn't true either.

Gerry Dinardo had things going in the right direction before his collapse and I'm not going to get into the reasoning/understanding of that collapse. It happened.

He/LSU even crushed Nick Saban's Michigan State team in a Bowl game.

The were.

Your counter-argument is that they had two good seasons before Saban, so there!

😄

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

You and the other idiot love to give coaches this and that, swap years, give this OL to this team, DL to that team, WRs to this QB, ..... Slash what in the hell whatever.

Purely comical stuff, man.

Just freaking absurd.

College football is inherently unequal.

You do the same stuff but in high school. The difference is that I don't change my argument based on what benefits me personally.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 181pl said:

I’m saying that a lot of advantages he had built in are now gone.

And with those "built-in advantages" gone he took his worst team in years to the playoff and an OT loss to Michigan.

All while you're whining about an overrated FSU team that quit and got smoked by 60 against the backups of the #1 team he beat.

24 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

The were.

Your counter-argument is that they had two good seasons before Saban, so there!

😄

I'm saying the last guy before Satan was 3-0 in bowl games, best Saben and had the program headed in the right direction until his collapse.

Satan had 2 good seasons at LSU too .

25 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Your not paying attn: to the present . This years D, despite all the notariety, is not playing up to the level like they have had these past few seasons . Pass rush is not up to the level  last 2 seasons, and certainly not up to the SB team that lost to KC .

That Niners team had the best rush I've ever seen. Buckner was a menace. 

Teams can run on this 49er team as well ,  and the pass rush , while good, better than almost anyone , is not getting to the qb like they have had.

I don't think you can run on this niners team without having a mobile QB scramble. They're ranked 3rd against the rush. Other than Lamar Jackson,  I don't see anyone that the Niners are going to have trouble getting to and pressuring.  Lamar is different because of the fact that you can't give him lanes. 

Name notariety , but not quite playing to the level of expectations . The true strength of this niner team is the offense with Purdy and co. Overall, this yr's team is more balanced than the others, but that defense has lost a fang or 2. Will see these upcoming games and if 49ers are healthy enough to get to that higher level and finally get it done. 

This Niner team is better on offense than the 2012 team for sure and I also believe they're better on defense. I like to look at YPP more than yards per game.  In the NFL allowing 5.0 yards per play or less and you're elite. 

42 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Hard to imagine anyone replicating his success . Making it more difficult is this NIL era . Now I think it will be harder for any coach, or program , to accumulate the quantity of top talent that Saban  has gotten  at ALA

Will never be done again, period. Even if we went back to the pre-NIL era.

2 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

That Niners team had the best rush I've ever seen. Buckner was a menace. 

I don't think you can run on this niners team without having a mobile QB scramble. They're ranked 3rd against the rush. Other than Lamar Jackson,  I don't see anyone that the Niners are going to have trouble getting to and pressuring.  Lamar is different because of the fact that you can't give him lanes. 

This Niner team is better on offense than the 2012 team for sure and I also believe they're better on defense. I like to look at YPP more than yards per game.  In the NFL allowing 5.0 yards per play or less and you're elite. 

I wholeheartedly agree with you  on the SB D-line with Buckner . That was the best pass rush I have ever seen also.  Three seasons ago when 49ers lost to LA in NFC championship was their second best pass rush followed by last yrs team. This year not quite as dominate and they have to rush 5 a lot because 4 aint getting done like those teams.  It may be quibbling comparing one elite D to the next , but there are noticeable differences.

That D-line with the Smith brothers was dominant as well. Justin Smith may be one of the most underrated D-lineman I've seen with the niners. His bull rush just clogged the middle, kind of like Michael Carter did in the glory years. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Will never be done again, period. Even if we went back to the pre-NIL era.

Going forward, I think Saban saw writing on the wall and things are now leveling off . Imagine with all of his success and titles , and expectations , the only way from here is downhill .  At his age, why not go out while the going is good

Anyways,

..."coach Dan Lanning decided to stay with the Ducks amid rumors he was the top option to replace Nick Saban at Alabama.

Lanning and Oregon released a video on Thursday showing Lanning calling a team meeting and telling his players he wasn’t going anywhere. Lanning asked his players who had goals and aspirations and said to achieve those you have to be "the best where you’re at."

36 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

I never thought I'd live to see a living Gerry DiNardo fanboy.

Definitely wasn't a fanboy, but his salary was $150,000 a year.

LSU was tight with the money back in those days.

I was making more money than Dinardo. 🤡

2 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

San Diego is a non-scholarship program. He went 11-1 there.

Stanford is Ivy League adjacent. He went 12-1 there.

Nick Saban was .500 for three years at Michigan State before going 9-2 and immediately bailing for a better job.

Harbaugh has done very well at his stops. 

I’m pretty familiar with Stanford. I’ve followed them pretty closely because it’s my dad’s alma mater. Not the easiest place to win for sure but they do get a nice pick of talented players with high academics. 

1 hour ago, Atticus Finch said:

I love when idiots are wrong and are smug about it.

No, there were no scholarship restrictions until 1973.

NCAA Football: A Brief History of NCAA Football Scholarships

1973 brought about the first limitations on football scholarships in order to free up money for women's sports after Title IX was passed by Congress in 1972 as part of the Equal Opportunity in Education Act. This caused the NCAA schools' presidents and athletic directors to push through a limit of 105 football scholarships. Additional reductions were made in 1978 (95) and again in 1992 which brought the limit to its present number of 85 and 63 for Division I-AA.

It was an SEC rule you are clueless .

https://www.nytimes.com/1964/01/25/archives/georgia-tech-quits-conference-to-escape-limit-on-athletic.html

"Bobby Dodd insisted there was no other reason he left the SEC, other than the 140 Rule. The 140 Rule stated a college program could only have 140 football and basketball players on scholarship at any one time. The teams were allowed to sign up to 45 players a year, but could not exceed the 140 Rule.

So Georgia Tech left the SEC over rule that you said did not exist. Clueless again

29 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Going forward, I think Saban saw writing on the wall and things are now leveling off . Imagine with all of his success and titles , and expectations , the only way from here is downhill .  At his age, why not go out while the going is good

His wife Terry diagnosed with dementia in August.