Nick Saban is retiring per ESPN.

HooverOutlaw

2 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

There were no NCAA scholarship limits until 1973.

140 is still 55 more than today, dumbass.

In other words, Bear Bryant could offer scholarships to practically any kid just to keep him away a rival.

It was for basketball and football a d freshman could not play. I have explained you are just to stupid to admit you no zero about before about 2000.

2 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

It was for basketball and football a d freshman could not play. I have explained you are just to stupid to admit you no zero about before about 2000.

No, you're just dumb enough to think that this matters. The scholarship situation gave Bear Bryant a huge advantage.

10 hours ago, steeler01 said:

Their defensive line is nowhere near this year's team. They had Aldon Smith as their pass rusher.  They were led by a trio of great LBs. This years team is loaded in the front 7(Bosa, Young,  Hargrave, and Armstead)

I'll take this year's defense over that one every day of the week. When I can get pressure with my front 4 and drop 7, even your secondary is going to look good. 

Justin Smith was All Pro occupiying 2 offensive lineman nearly every play. Aldon Smith almost always was one on one because of that. The Niners secondary was off the chains when Harbaugh was there. Our secondary now is just servicable. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

Justin Smith was All Pro occupiying 2 offensive lineman nearly every play. Aldon Smith almost always was one on one because of that. The Niners secondary was off the chains when Harbaugh was there. Our secondary now is just servicable. 

But on the plus side, they do tackle like matadors! 

• Haha 1

Does anyone really expect the next guy at Alabama to come in and win 7 national championships?

If that happens then maybe Satan isn't all that great..

Since 2000 LSU has won 3 National Championships with 3 different head coaches....Satan being one of them.

What should the expectations be for the next guy at Alabama his first two or three years?

Alabama's going to have the players.

• Thumbs Down 1

The STA coaching legend George Smith won 6 State Championships> the current coach at STA is working on 6 straight State Championships.

Is he that great of a head coach or is it the roster?

Will this new guy be considered a legend in 10 years? He may win 10 State Championships in a row.

Harbaugh is a hell of a coach. We knew that before he ever coached a down at Michigan, which is why Michigan haters tried to make the case he should be fired three years ago. He is positioned to have a shot at matching or surpassing Saban's run. But, he'd need to stay at Michigan for at least a dozen years with several NCs, which seems highly unlikely. I don't consider NFL success to be anywhere near as impressive as college success. NFL coaches are even more like CEOs and public relations maestros than college coaches. College coaches still do a ton of actual coaching, not to mention recruiting. And, they can never strike it rich with a Hall of Fame QB who hangs around for 10, 15, 20 years...

3 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Harbaugh is a hell of a coach. We knew that before he ever coached a down at Michigan, which is why Michigan haters tried to make the case he should be fired three years ago. He is positioned to have a shot at matching or surpassing Saban's run.

He's not gonna get close ever.  Michigan isn't a talent magnet.  Harbaugh would need to be in a school that just has to recruit its backyard to match the Saban success. 

Ohio state

Florida

LSU

Texas

Miami

Alabama

Georgia

USC

Etc

3 hours ago, steeler01 said:

He's not gonna get close ever.  Michigan isn't a talent magnet.  Harbaugh would need to be in a school that just has to recruit its backyard to match the Saban success. 

Ohio state

Florida

LSU

Texas

Miami

Alabama

Georgia

USC

Etc

Disagree. Michigan can recruit with all of those schools. I'll grant that it's only OSU, Michigan and Penn St. above the Mason-Dixon line that can recruit like that. But those three can, assuming they have a big-time coach. Of course, with NIL and the stupid transfer portal, it's a different world now. I suppose it's nearly impossible to state realistic expectations for any coach in these silly times. But, should Harbaugh surprise us and stay at UM a long time, he's going to have a shot at catching Saban. Right now, he does have a reputation a bit like Urban Meyer, or even Saban circa 2007. People wonder if his personality will wear on people, and/or if he's willing to stay in one place for a long time. Michigan would be the one place where it's conceivable, if not for the shambolic state of college football.