Nick Saban is retiring per ESPN.

HooverOutlaw

15 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

We used to always gripe 

Because you're morons.

Harbaugh took over a 49ers team that hadn't had a winning season in 9 years and proceeded to reach 3 straight NFC Championship Games and a Super Bowl.

He left and then they didn't have another winning season for 5 years.

But you were griping!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Bear Bryant had unlimited scholarships for much of his tenure.

Naming him is a joke.

You ignorant of limits back then you 140 for both football and basketball. Basketball got 20 because of having jv teams then. Leaving 120 for football that's 30 per class freshman could not play so left 90 only 5 more than today's 85. Plus everyone played by the same rules just not as smart as Bryant. 

3 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Because you're morons.

Harbaugh took over a 49ers team that hadn't had a winning season in 9 years and proceeded to reach 3 straight NFC Championship Games and a Super Bowl.

He left and then they didn't have another winning season for 5 years.

But you were griping!

I’ll admit I bitched and griped. I then think of the Erickson, Nolan and Singletary disasters and shit years. Harbaugh is weird as fuck and can drive you crazy at times, but the dude can coach.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

I’ll admit I bitched and griped. I then think of the Erickson, Nolan and Singletary disasters and shit years. Harbaugh is weird as fuck and can drive you crazy at times, but the dude can coach.

He was less weird as fuck this season.   Well put.  

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

LSU was a joke program before he got there.

That simply isn't true either.

Gerry Dinardo had things going in the right direction before his collapse and I'm not going to get into the reasoning/understanding of that collapse. It happened.

He/LSU even crushed Nick Saban's Michigan State team in a Bowl game.

Dinardo 👇

Screenshot_20240111-102647-632.png

58 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Absolutely.

You and the other idiot love to give coaches this and that, swap years, give this OL to this team, DL to that team, WRs to this QB, ..... Slash what in the hell whatever.

Purely comical stuff, man.

Just freaking absurd.

15 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

What Saban did at Alabama will never be replicated. Ever. 

Hard to imagine anyone replicating his success . Making it more difficult is this NIL era . Now I think it will be harder for any coach, or program , to accumulate the quantity of top talent that Saban  has gotten  at ALA

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, pied said:

I'll give Harbaugh all the props for winning title at Michigan and not going to hold his not winning one at San Diego State or Stanford against him.

San Diego is a non-scholarship program. He went 11-1 there.

Stanford is Ivy League adjacent. He went 12-1 there.

Nick Saban was .500 for three years at Michigan State before going 9-2 and immediately bailing for a better job.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Again another example of a failure by a school. Osborne won 3 titles without local elite talent and still recruited them to come to Nebraska. 

Nebraska was an elite program when Osborne took it over. The previous coach had won 2 national championships. Took Osborne 20+ years to win one.

1 hour ago, Atticus Finch said:

FSU fans sure are stupid and whiny.

He took the worst Alabama team in a long time to the playoff by beating #1 Georgia and then lost in OT to the eventual national champion.

FSU's best team in a long time quit after the regular season and lost by 60 to Georgia's backups.

Moron. I’m not saying he wasn’t a great coach. I’m saying that a lot of advantages he had built in are now gone. And he’s 72. He should enjoy his remaining years without dealing with greedy boosters and kids.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, steeler01 said:

Good rosters for sure. No elite QB and no elite pass rushers. Flacco lit that defense up because they had no pass rush

Do you remember that game and that 49er team ?   That defense was better than this  yr's 49er defense overall. Their D-line was as stacked as this year's team, even better when you consider run defense . . Maybe they didn't have a shout out pass rusher like Bosa , but they had guys like Aldon Smith , Ahmad Brooks, Bowman, Willis , McDonald , Justin Smith, etc.  Niners offensive line was better than this yr's also .  What that 49er team lacked, as you say, an elite qb, or at least a guy like Purdy. Kaepernick played well and teams hadn't adjusted for his running ability as of yet, so that was a weapon that this yr's  Purdy doesn't possess . Shanahan is a better offensive minded coach imop with his system than Harbaughs, with all things being equal at the qb position . 

Getting back to that SB, did you watch it ?  Flacco made a few plays early on. Niners lost the game on 2 plays within a minute of each other. Inexplicably they  gave up a bomb Td in last minute of 1rst half, and then gave up a Kickoff return  td right up the middle to open the second half. 14 pts that should never have happened in a SB .  At that point score was 28-6 Baltimore . Then the 49ers exerted themselves and showed who they really were. They just owned that 2nd half, and with game right there for the taking, 1rst and goal at 7 yd line to take the win. What plays does Harbaugh call  at that moment ?  1 run and 3 fades in the endzone that only an Aaron Rodgers can make, not a Kapernick . Balt could not stop the 49ers whatsoever at that point and he doesn't  run Kap ?  For me, that was a huge strike against Harbaugh, calling those plays for a qb who can't make those kind of throws . Next year vs Seattle in NFC championship , same kind of thing happened. 49ers with a minute left had the ball , 1rst down at Seattle's 20 yd line with 2 timeout remaining . What play is called on 1rst down ? Another fade in right side of endzone against Sherman. Kap can't make those kind of throws and underthrows badly , allowing Sherman an easy pick . Game over . 

I know a lot of coaches make inexplicable bad play calls in big moments , so I have to give Harbaugh a break . But still, a coaches legacy is getting it done in big moments . Like I posted earlier, I think Harbaugh is excellent at building a team, but he seems unable to get his teams over the precipice .  Maybe that will change now, who knows 

6 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Do you remember that game and that 49er team ?   That defense was better than this  yr's 49er defense overall. Their D-line was as stacked as this year's team, even better when you consider run defense . .

Their defensive line is nowhere near this year's team. They had Aldon Smith as their pass rusher.  They were led by a trio of great LBs. This years team is loaded in the front 7(Bosa, Young,  Hargrave, and Armstead)

I'll take this year's defense over that one every day of the week. When I can get pressure with my front 4 and drop 7, even your secondary is going to look good. 

1 minute ago, steeler01 said:

Their defensive line is nowhere near this year's team. They had Aldon Smith as their pass rusher.  They were led by a trio of great LBs. This years team is loaded in the front 7(Bosa, Young,  Hargrave, and Armstead)

I'll take this year's defense over that one every day of the week. When I can get pressure with my front 4 and drop 7, even your secondary is going to look good. 

Your not paying attn: to the present . This years D, despite all the notariety, is not playing up to the level like they have had these past few seasons . Pass rush is not up to the level  last 2 seasons, and certainly not up to the SB team that lost to KC . Teams can run on this 49er team as well ,  and the pass rush , while good, better than almost anyone , is not getting to the qb like they have had. Name notariety , but not quite playing to the level of expectations . The true strength of this niner team is the offense with Purdy and co. Overall, this yr's team is more balanced than the others, but that defense has lost a fang or 2. Will see these upcoming games and if 49ers are healthy enough to get to that higher level and finally get it done.