Nick Saban is retiring per ESPN.

HooverOutlaw

With Belichick gone as well prepare for a new era of football. For those who like to gamble be ready for inconsistent game play on college and nfl. Coaching is down and players ability to be consistent week in a week out isn't going to happen.

Why do people call him Nick Satan? Is he a devil worshipper? 

if it’s just play on words because it sounds similar to his last name and you are making fun of him because he was a successful coach probably at the expense of your favorite team, please stop. It’s cringey and sounds like a 12 year old girl making fun of another 12 year old girl. 

13 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

He knew he was at a 4th rate program at Michigan State and wanted a better job and LSU provided that. 

You’re confirming @steeler01 position in numerous posts, but this one sums it up the best.  

Greatest HC of all time couldn’t succeed?  He needs a geocode in the southeast to be a winning HC, got it.  👍🏻

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GoBigBlack said:

At the end of the day these are academic institutions with standards. There are lots of reasons Stanford didn’t land Kool-Aid McKinstry or Henry Ruggs. The biggest being they couldn’t get into the school  period. I don’t know what sort of standards Michigan has for 5-star athletes, but it’s an elite university.

Based on the recruits and social media chatter through the years, imo Michigan is no different than the norm.

I’d add Ohio State in this category also.  

Grad portal transfers “might” be a tad higher to be accepted at Michigan  though.  For undergrad students, it’s for sure harder to be accepted for grad school… but for football, the right recruit can probably get AD help.  

29 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

You’re confirming @steeler01 position in numerous posts, but this one sums it up the best.  

Greatest HC of all time couldn’t succeed?  He needs a geocode in the southeast to be a winning HC, got it.  👍🏻

It takes the combo of a great Coach and program to win 6 titles. It has been done twice both at Alabama.

It is much easier to win a title in the SEC than anywhere because of talent and the schools themselves being bought in a 100%. 

Take LSU they have as many titles as the entire big 10 the last 25 years. 

29 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Not really.

Michigan State was 1O-2 Satan's final year and they ended up #7 in the Final AP poll. He was actually a pretty hot commodity back then. 

Michigan State had recruiting sanctions at that time and also had not had a winning season since 1990 until Satan arrived.

Though he didn't win a National Championship at Michigan State he put in some good work turning that program around somewhat.

Satan's last year with the Spartan 👇

Screenshot_20240111-084042-742.png

steeler01 > thinks Lincoln Riley is a great head coach> so there's that too.

It'll be a cold day in hell before USC ever looks like a Saban coached Alabama team..

Lincoln Riley doesn't have the rage, passion, knowledge or organizational skills .

He's just a pretty puppy who has had some good QBs, nothing more!

24 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Not really.

Michigan State was 1O-2 Satan's final year and they ended up #7 in the Final AP poll. He was actually a pretty hot commodity back then. 

Michigan State had recruiting sanctions at that time and also had not had a winning season since 1990 until Satan arrived.

Though he didn't win a National Championship at Michigan State he put in some good work turning that program around somewhat.

Satan's last year with the Spartan 👇

Screenshot_20240111-084042-742.png

Yea Perles had a good stretch, but the finish was bad.  

The year prior was a bust for Michigan Light and Saban was 0-3 in Bowl games.  He did have a good final year, true.  

35 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

It takes the combo of a great Coach and program to win 6 titles. It has been done twice both at Alabama.

It is much easier to win a title in the SEC than anywhere because of talent and the schools themselves being bought in a 100%. 

Take LSU they have as many titles as the entire big 10 the last 25 years. 

I wonder how “bought in” they were.  “Bag” was a term often used years back by recruits.  FSU was often labeled as I recall, along with SEC powers. 

8 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Yea Perles had a good stretch, but the finish was bad.  

The year prior was a bust for Michigan Light and Saban was 0-3 in Bowl games.  He did have a good final year, true.  

Michigan State was really Satan's first real head coaching job. 

Nick Saban spent just 1 year at Toledo going 9-2 and winning a share of the MAC Championship and a bowl game.......

Screenshot_20240111-093228-216.png

7 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Michigan State was really Satan's first real head coaching job. 

Nick Saban spent just 1 year at Toledo going 9-2 and winning a share of the MAC Championship and a bowl game.......

Screenshot_20240111-093228-216.png

He’s my Larry Bird basically.  
Dad loved to talk about him and the Celtics… and I was a Knicks fan watching it 🤢.  
Hated the Celtics back then!  So damn good.  

Bird was simply amazing and I hated him for it.  😂 

That’s Nick Saban to me summarized.  They won… a lot!  Being a Big10 fan didn’t help. :) 
Hated their dominance, but gotta respect the record/results.  

26 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

I wonder how “bought in” they were.  “Bag” was a term often used years back by recruits.  FSU was often labeled as I recall, along with SEC powers. 

When I say that I'm talking the boosters and administrators be behind the head coach 100% and allowing total control to the coach.

16 hours ago, 181pl said:

now that everyone can cheat and go wherever they want and pay players, Satan knew he was no longer relevant

FSU fans sure are stupid and whiny.

He took the worst Alabama team in a long time to the playoff by beating #1 Georgia and then lost in OT to the eventual national champion.

FSU's best team in a long time quit after the regular season and lost by 60 to Georgia's backups.

2 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

When I say that I'm talking the boosters and administrators be behind the head coach 100% and allowing total control to the coach.

I know.  

Just wanted to use the word “bag” in a sentence.  :) 

Now with NIL “bag”, the recruit decision is no longer a secret with re: to $ handouts prior to LOI.  

16 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

I actually would rate Bryant slightly ahead of Saban because of these reasons.

1. Won titles in 1 platoon football and in the modern substitute era

2. Won 3 titles with all white teams and 3 titles when integration took place. 

3. Bryant went 11-1 at Kentucky and were given the title by some non ap and upi polls. Just think 11-1 at Kentucky beating Oklahoma in the bowl game how tough that is.

Bear Bryant had unlimited scholarships for much of his tenure.

Naming him is a joke.