Who is the greatest female singer ever?

World Citizen

15 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

I think it is Ella Fitzgerald and it's not even close.  I'm sure there are some opera singer's who have comparable range, maybe better But I dont know any.  Who is your #1 female singer?

What do you all think?

I know this Genre doesn't get much attention. But when I was a wee lad my mom used to play Gospel songs by Mahalia Jackson a woman Dr. King always said have her sing at my Funeral.  She is amazing.  I guess Genre specific would make it easier.  But this lady had some serious pipes.  Many tried to woo her to secular Music with a lot of money.  Never budged.

Just now, DevilDog said:

I know this Genre doesn't get much attention. But when I was a wee lad my mom used to play Gospel songs by Mahalia Jackson a woman Dr. King always said have her sing at my Funeral.  She is amazing.  I guess Genre specific would make it easier.  But this lady had some serious pipes.  Many tried to woo her to secular Music with a lot of money.  Never budged.

Thanks.  I'll definitely look her up.  I do like gospel music too, I dont believe in what they are singing about but it is very moving nonetheless.  

4 minutes ago, zulu1128 said:

I don't know any opera singers, but I agree that one of them is likely #1 on pure technical ability.

Naming a true #1 would be pretty hard, but I'd have to at least throw Whitney Houston into the mix.

She was pretty good too.  I think she started out singing Gospel in church when she was young.  Could be wrong on that.  Idk.  

5 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I've always been kind of partial to Janis Joplin, but, I'm sure she probably isn't close to the top on most peoples idea of top notch vocalists.

As a singer though... I throw her name into the ring.

Janis > was unique. Won't ever be another one like her.

Karen Carpenter, put RedZone softly to sleep.

Aretha Franklin, make Redzone wake up.

That's just me. :D 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, World Citizen said:

I think it is Ella Fitzgerald and it's not even close.  I'm sure there are some opera singer's who have comparable range, maybe better But I dont know any.  Who is your #1 female singer?

What do you all think?

The fat white girl from England Susan Boyle, would make Fritzgerald take a dirt road!