How good is Cedar Grove , Ga ?

HooverOutlaw

Not sure how good they are really. Seems like they have some talent at times but never really reach that upper echelon.

As an aside, they had a player murdered not long after graduation. He was going to play for Valdosta State. 

Trevon Richardson. Pretty sad story.

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/dekalb-county-high-school-football-star-murdered

• Sad 1

They are good enough to have Brentwood Academy absolutely refuse to play them. The coach for CG is from the Nashville area and was begging to come play. BA refuses on the basis that CG was too tough of an opponent. They chose 0-6 West Park Prep instead who is the new International School of Broward. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

They are good enough to have Brentwood Academy absolutely refuse to play them. The coach for CG is from the Nashville area and was begging to come play. BA refuses on the basis that CG was too tough of an opponent. They chose 0-6 West Park Prep instead who is the new International School of Broward. 

I don't get why Brentwood academy will play good teams from Ohio but is so selective when playing teams from the South 

Guess they don't think they can beat a top 10 FL squad (or apparently GA too if they won't play Cedar Grove who isn't even top 10 in GA)

11 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

That's disappointing. Brentwood should be good this year again.

17 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Wait, what!? BA refuses to play CG? I’ve never known BA to be a chicken shit like that. There has to be some other reason (maybe something personal with the coach)? Hell, McCallie regularly schedules teams from GA that are the same caliber as CG and has won some of those games. BA usually manhandles McCallie. Now, I gotta know why? 

Judge for yourself...

Keep in kind they play in 3A...

2015: 11-2-1 ... L in 3A Semis 24-8 to eventual State Champ Westminster... They played their 1st OOS that I remember. Lost to a pretty good Hallandale FL team 34-26.

2016:13-2 ... 3A State Champs, pretty solid team here... Beat Crisp 55-0 in semis, and beat GAC in State 30-19

2017: 13-1 ... Lost in Semis to eventual State Champ Calhoun 14-6... 

Theyve had a good bit of talent... And they do have the #1 2019 WR in the country... They have 1 other FBS level recruit in 2019... Which is actually down in #s compared to what they usually have.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Judge for yourself...

Keep in kind they play in 3A...

2015: 11-2-1 ... L in 3A Semis 24-8 to eventual State Champ Westminster... They played their 1st OOS that I remember. Lost to a pretty good Hallandale FL team 34-26.

2016:13-2 ... 3A State Champs, pretty solid team here... Beat Crisp 55-0 in semis, and beat GAC in State 30-19

2017: 13-1 ... Lost in Semis to eventual State Champ Calhoun 14-6... 

Theyve had a good bit of talent... And they do have the #1 2019 WR in the country... They have 1 other FBS level recruit in 2019... Which is actually down in #s compared to what they usually have.

Hallandale was good that year 

They beat AHP in playoffs and AHP was good enough to get img to complain about AHP being "too physical"

10 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

What do you mean? 

4 straight years in the top 10 of their class.

Champs in 16'

# 3 in 17 # 13-1

# 8 in 14" at 9-3

# 4 in 15" at 11-2-1

That is upper echelon.

In Georgia.

Why do you guys look down on lower classes?

They produce just the same as 7A schools.

Talent is everywhere.

Uh no, they dont produce the same as 7A... How you can even make that statement is beyond me.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Not sure how good they are really. Seems like they have some talent at times but never really reach that upper echelon.

As an aside, they had a player murdered not long after graduation. He was going to play for Valdosta State. 

Trevon Richardson. Pretty sad story.

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/dekalb-county-high-school-football-star-murdered

Just saw that, RIP.

4 hours ago, Sportsnut said:

What do you mean? 

Champs in 16'

# 3 in 17 # 13-1

# 8 in 14" at 9-3

# 4 in 15" at 11-2-1

That is upper echelon.

In Georgia.

Talent is everywhere.

I don't look down on the smaller classes per se', but my outlook is based in reality. 

On occasion, a smaller class can produce a team that I'd consider upper echelon. They hardly ever prove it though. For example, Rome last year. Buford a lot of years. 

Eagles Landing Christian on occasion. 

Etc. 

Most of the small school champs annually do not belong on the field with the Graysons, Colquitts and even Tuckers(sometimes) of the state. 

They know it too, which is why they aren't begging to play them, which is what it takes to prove it. 

The same day they start playing and whipping up on or hanging close with the true upper echelon teams of the state, is the same day I give them all the credit you think they deserve. 

It takes more than having/producing a few star players to be upper echelon. Being a small class champ is a good accomplishment, but, it takes more than that to supercede several 7A schools and a few 6A schools and the occasional 5A. IMO of course. 

Top 5 to 10 (some years) is what I consider the upper echelon. Last year would have been a top 5 year to be upper echelon. This year there may be 10+ that we can view that way.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I don't look down on the smaller classes per se', but my outlook is based in reality. 

On occasion, a smaller class can produce a team that I'd consider upper echelon. They hardly ever prove it though. For example, Rome last year. Buford a lot of years. 

Eagles Landing Christian on occasion. 

Etc. 

Most of the small school champs annually do not belong on the field with the Graysons, Colquitts and even Tuckers(sometimes) of the state. 

They know it too, which is why they aren't begging to play them, which is what it takes to prove it. 

The same day they start playing and whipping up on or hanging close with the true upper echelon teams of the state, is the same day I give them all the credit you think they deserve. 

It takes more than having/producing a few star players to be upper echelon. Being a small class champ is a good accomplishment, but, it takes more than that to supercede several 7A schools and a few 6A schools and the occasional 5A. IMO of course. 

Top 5 to 10 (some years) is what I consider the upper echelon. Last year would have been a top 5 year to be upper echelon. This year there may be 10+ that we can view that way.

Rab, is that you?

Didja jack Hawgie's account?

Dammit man, looks like the ol Colquitt cult mentality has migrated back over from the GAVS board.

No wonder nobody likes ya'll.

I barely like ya'll.

Regards

Certified Asshole

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Sportsnut said:

What do you mean? 

Champs in 16'

# 3 in 17 # 13-1

# 8 in 14" at 9-3

# 4 in 15" at 11-2-1

That is upper echelon.

In Georgia.

Talent is everywhere.

I see them producing good players but I don't see them as a team being able to handle the top of 7A and 6A on a regular basis, 3A champs or not.

2 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Every GA HC I know told me that 5A Rome was the best team in the state at last season's end. Is there that large of a talent gap between 3A and 5A? The #1 3A team could never beat the 7A #1? I'm confident 4A/5A could. Thx. 

They probably were.

Its rare the best 5A team is the best in GA. Last year was an exception.

Usually the best 5A team is better than the best 3A team.... There may be some exceptions.

So you can see, itd be extra rare for the best 3A team to be better than the best 7A team...

What youre saying is akin to you owing me $10... Asking me if Ill take $8 for now, me saying sure, then you say well if youll take 8 you should take 6 cause 6 isnt much less than 8.... Think about it. 😌

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Every GA HC I know told me that 5A Rome was the best team in the state at last season's end. Is there that large of a talent gap between 3A and 5A? The #1 3A team could never beat the 7A #1? I'm confident 4A/5A could. Thx. 

Talent gap, smalent gap. 

There is more to it than talent at the end of the season. 

Rome could have been the best team. Fact is, they failed to prove it. Period. 

The top 6 and 7A teams are the cream of the crop until proven different. A few small school coaches saying this and that (if that is even true) proves jack shit fella.

Get those coaches on here and on record. Get Rome and Cedar Grove out there humping the top 5 7A school's leg and begging for a game to prove themselves. 

Teams like Grayson and Colquitt are struggling to fill their pre-region schedules since the expansion. There simply isn't a Cedar Grove out there with their hand up going, "Hey! We are here! Wanna fight? Fight me!" Sure isn't happening. 

We are talking end of season not pre-season talent bullcrap. 

Coaching and talent combined are what makes the team end season. Some teams can go in with less talent and better coaching and be best in state, and other times talent can win out, although it doesn't seem as often. Most of the time, 7A and 6A, occasionally 5A maybe, can prove out to be the best.  

You private school nerd types have a lot to learn when it comes to public school ball in Georgia and Texas. xD

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

5A or for that matter 3A win some games  Sure.  Hang with a competitive 7A schedule with the top 10 teams all season?  I just don't see that happening.  I think even a private would have a hard time.  There are just too many resources available to the top 7A teams both in terms of talent and dollars.  Speaking only for us, the quality of our second or third string means that other players are available in case of injury or just playing time to spell the first stringers.  As Rab is fond of saying, when they have to play every play even the hosses get tired.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Sportsnut said:

What do you mean? 

Champs in 16'

# 3 in 17 # 13-1

# 8 in 14" at 9-3

# 4 in 15" at 11-2-1

That is upper echelon.

In Georgia.

Talent is everywhere.

I agree. Cedar Grove is always too 10 in ga and could beat many 7a teams.

• Haha 1