Greatest Guitarist Ever?

GlenC7

HS Football is still a few months away and since this is off topic, I'll open up a can of worms. To me this is not a battle of the states but a battle of the fingers. Back in the early 80's after I got out of the military, I returned to Lubbock. We went to a Tech games, afterwards we went to a small bar close to the stadium. There was a 3 piece band playing. That small club was packed wall to wall. I don't live the life I used to but I still remember that night. I had never heard a guitar played like that before. I was like "who is that?". My friend said it's Stevie Ray. I was blown away by his playing. Listening to guitar was half of my life back then. I was very familiar with all the great guitarist of the day, but this was different. All the concerts I had went to, all the albums I had, nothing sounded like this, and they didn't even have a record deal yet. 

You have Hendrix, Paige, Clapton, and I could go on and on. But to me there is SRV and then the rest of them.

The lifestyle of touring caught with Stevie and it seemed he was headed down the road too many had never recovered from and took too many, had there lives shortened. Stevie got help and recovered, and was at the top of his game before the crash. He was even talking about his battle in his concerts. Not preaching, but pointing out the dangers of drugs and drinking. In the grand scheme of things, sports, music, etc are secondary. Your heart and focus are what matters the most. And I think with everyone at one time or another, change is necessary to move forward. Put the emphasis where it belongs.

I was recently looking at lists of the top guitarists of all the time online. Not sure why I was doing that but I was. I was amazed at all the lists that had so many listed ahead of him. I just wonder what kind of music he would be putting out if he were still alive. Thanks Stevie for sharing your talents and RIP.

My favorite song of all time has no lyrics. It's simply titled "SRV" by Eric Johnson.

I won't be butting heads with anyone here in the forum when football season fires up. Time for a change. I guess this is my official obituary for this forum.

But I enjoyed the debates and all.  (PS, I still hope Katy plays well this year, but I won't be following them like I used to)

Take care guys

Love music. I’ve been blessed to have seen so many great bands over the years. Seen a lot of fantastic guitar players. So for me, we have to determine what is it that makes a guitarist “great”. Is it innovation? Speed? Feeling? Technical ability? Eccleticness (if that’s a word)? The ability to manage a show( as was mentioned)? Musical genius?

Ive seen SRV, Clapton, VanHalen, Satriani, B.B. King and many others. Loved em all. But there is nobody...and I mean nobody...that blew me away like Steve Vai did. I’ve seen him about 5-6 times in various lineups, and the guy was different every time. He is an absolute master at his craft. Blues, classical, rock, pop, shredding, it doesn’t matter. He is a guitar Ninja that plays it all...and plays it legit. Whatever he’s playing sounds like he’s been playing it his whole life. Well, because he probably has lol.

Anyways, with respect to all of the other greatness....Steve Vai for the win!

Ernie Isley student of Hendrix who played and was hired by the Isley Brothers. Ernie is the Best and least known because the group is known for singing. 

A BEAST GUITARIST, WRITER AND SINGER.  Go to the 8:00 min mark here as he give his Teacher props as he covers Hendrix. Take time and Jam to the whole session. 

Just listen to the Guitar rifts in the background of this classic Isley Brothers Jam.

Also check out this Brother Kidd Funkadelic:  A lot of Brothers can straight smash a Guitar. 

4 hours ago, GlenC7 said:

HS Football is still a few months away and since this is off topic, I'll open up a can of worms. To me this is not a battle of the states but a battle of the fingers. Back in the early 80's after I got out of the military, I returned to Lubbock. We went to a Tech games, afterwards we went to a small bar close to the stadium. There was a 3 piece band playing. That small club was packed wall to wall. I don't live the life I used to but I still remember that night. I had never heard a guitar played like that before. I was like "who is that?". My friend said it's Stevie Ray. I was blown away by his playing. Listening to guitar was half of my life back then. I was very familiar with all the great guitarist of the day, but this was different. All the concerts I had went to, all the albums I had, nothing sounded like this, and they didn't even have a record deal yet. 

You have Hendrix, Paige, Clapton, and I could go on and on. But to me there is SRV and then the rest of them.

The lifestyle of touring caught with Stevie and it seemed he was headed down the road too many had never recovered from and took too many, had there lives shortened. Stevie got help and recovered, and was at the top of his game before the crash. He was even talking about his battle in his concerts. Not preaching, but pointing out the dangers of drugs and drinking. In the grand scheme of things, sports, music, etc are secondary. Your heart and focus are what matters the most. And I think with everyone at one time or another, change is necessary to move forward. Put the emphasis where it belongs.

I was recently looking at lists of the top guitarists of all the time online. Not sure why I was doing that but I was. I was amazed at all the lists that had so many listed ahead of him. I just wonder what kind of music he would be putting out if he were still alive. Thanks Stevie for sharing your talents and RIP.

My favorite song of all time has no lyrics. It's simply titled "SRV" by Eric Johnson.

I won't be butting heads with anyone here in the forum when football season fires up. Time for a change. I guess this is my official obituary for this forum.

But I enjoyed the debates and all.  (PS, I still hope Katy plays well this year, but I won't be following them like I used to)

Take care guys

He truly is one of the GOAT's

Watch the whole thing. This is quite possibly the best piece of rock and roll guitar playing EVER. I challenge anyone to post something more technical, innovative, emotional, and just flat out badass all in one setting. I'd like to see it if there is!! I mean that!

Then go YouTube some of his "bluesy" stuff since that seems to be the theme here today. The dude is phenomenal.

8 minutes ago, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

Joe Satriani. The best.

Dude. Obviously Joe is badass, but Steve Vai was the original. And I think that Vai is more well-rounded the Striani. That said,  I'm guessing that Joe Satriani is the only guitar player on the face of this earth that could replicate Vai in that video.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cossacks said:

Hard to choose for me, prob Angus or Eddie. Shit love Satriani and SRV too. Ton of greats including this guy:

Totally forgot about Koffler! Awesome guitar player. One of the most technical and innovative players ever...in this man’s opinion. I’ve seen him with Dire Straits and down in Fla one year he did a solo act. Kinda calypso type gig. Outstanding. I love it when musician get out of their comfort zone...as long as it’s still good LOL!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cossacks said:

This is on of the big reasons I always have put Prince above Michael Jackson as an overall talent. Prince could play! In all honesty never have liked Michael, but he was talented.

I agree but not a fair comparison. One is a Musician and the other is an entertainer. 

• Like 1