DLS VS FOLSOM OFFICIAL GAME THREAD DLS 14 folsom ZERO!!!!!

AztecPadre

All the hot takes aside, I for one enjoyed this game. Got to meet/hang with the largest contingent of PG guys I’ve been to a game with. Thanks gents for holding the seats and making it fun. 

As for the game, it was a competitive, fun game to watch. DLS defense. Wow. Don’t know what the stats are but, go look at the PPG and YPG Folsom put up last year. We were told that this team is a year older and better and DLS made a statement. Very nice. Really impressed by Garrett and the DBs. 

As for offense, Folsom D had the book on DLS. Line shifting, good pursuit and filling of gaps. If not for the DLS D, they may have been the story. De La Salle for its part has a lot of work on offense, but I am confident they will figure it out. Great first game for them to prepare the rest of the way. 

I am so excited football season has started and we got this tilt as it’s appetizer.  Really looking forward to the rest of this season. 

• Like 5

Ok. Here is my take away:

DLS's defense does what their defense usually does -- even to elite offenses such as Centennial. They're fundamentally sound at all three levels, extremely well coached and make you earn everything.

That said, I thought Folsom's offense choked. They had numerous opportunities to score and put pressure on the Spartans offense to respond but couldn't get out of their own way. 

I couldn't see the Daniyel Ngata fumble near the goal line so I have no idea whether he was really down by contact or really in the end zone first. But that was the biggest play of the game IMO because it set the Bulldogs back and negated the momentum they had built and continued to build to that point. If Folsom scores there, both teams confidence and swagger changes. 

Then you factor in the long 70+ yard run by Ngata in the 2nd half that was negated by a silly, unforced illegal procedure penalty by Joe Ngata and there's your ball game. Those 2 plays did Folsom in. By their 2 star players.

Folsom could have seized control and put DLS into a very tough situation that they aren't really built for but mental lapses, penalties and coaching cost them a legit chance for a W. 

I say coaching because I felt DLS made better halftime and in-game adjustments than Folsom did (which was probably expected by most). I don't think Folsom took enough deep shots to Ngata (by rolling Bennett out) for bigger plays nor did I think they took advantage of their 'other' WR Elijah Badger. It seemed whenever they did go to Badger, he made a positive play. But they didn't go to that  enough to make DLS pay for paying all the attention to Joe Ngata. 

Lastly, I thought Kaiden Bennett didn't play well at all. Sure, DLS's schemes, pressure and coverages were consistently good, but there were plays to be made and he didn't make many positive ones. I thought he ran too much when it clearly wasn't working much and he made a lot of poor throws. 

All in all, Folsom's offense moved the ball well against what I believe will prove to be an excellent, if not elite, defense when all is said and done. But most of the 5 turnovers were unforced. It's tough to win against any capable opponent with unforced turnovers (and mental errors) when on the cusp of scoring points let alone against a team like DLS. 

Props to the Spartans for the shutout and the W. They earned it, no doubt. But Folsom certainly hurt themselves as much or more than DLD did.

That's how I saw it anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevilDog said:

The pregame hype and back and forth on this forum for this Game was great.  The game is the 200+ replay of some NorCal Team supposedly being able to beat the Spartans.  DLS is a great team and as an Old DI their precision and execution though not fancy just proves that eventually you just do you and the other bunch doesn't have the patience or discipline to maintain.  Folsom was more physically gifted but that is not a disciplined football team. Hopefully it was just 1st game problems.  But that QB can't read a 2nd grade defense.      Good Job Spartans much Respect.  Good Job Cali my 2nd home I still enjoyed the game.  HS Football is here.   

Now I will watch my Monarch's rep the 1stMarDiv and kick ass all year. 

Ran out of likes, Gunny

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hardhit1 said:

Can these teams meet in the the playoffs or what ever they call that?

No

amd neither will lose again in NorCal 

This game effectively decided who gets s trip to the Lions Den in December and who gets to play some tier 2 socal team for a 1AA Champiomship (although 2 teams playoff for that spot while the Open particiapants have a bye)

1 minute ago, Pops said:

No

amd neither will lose again in NorCal 

This game effectively decided who gets s trip to the Lions Den in December and who gets to play some tier 2 socal team for a 1AA Champiomship (although 2 teams playoff for that spot while the Open particiapants have a bye)

You think Jesuit beats Folsom next week in Folsom?

1 minute ago, Pops said:

At least they played the game, even if it had to happen in Week 0.

That said, they still need to bring the NorCal Open Regional back --- permanently.

1 hour ago, DevilDog said:

No one in NorCal wants' any part of this crew.  🤣

Image result for monarchs for marines

Like isn’t the right word here 

acknowledge?

i liked DLS tonight — give the sophomore s half to get his feet wet in August sgainst an elite opponent.  He’ll be fine and so will the offense

and dls’s Defense was as advertised 

I’d still consider them long odds to best MD or SJB in December but I think they might be good enough by then to compete better than they have the last couple of years 

am very interested in the MD/ BG game 

1 minute ago, Pops said:

Like isn’t the right word here 

acknowledge?

i liked DLS tonight — give the sophomore s half to get his feet wet in August sgainst an elite opponent.  He’ll be fine and so will the offense

and dls’s Defense was as advertised 

I’d still consider them long odds to best MD or SJB in December but I think they might be good enough by then to compete better than they have the last couple of years 

am very interested in the MD/ BG game 

Yes.  I have mad respect for DLS.  I really enjoyed the game here in Texas and the opportunity to watch those kids in person and Maurice Drew made the trip as well.  Their Precision and timing is just a thing to watch.  Regardless if you are a fan or not certain teams in certain places are just special.  MD and SJB obviously are playing with a certain deck dealt to them but even with that I enjoy watching the DLS Discipline against those stacked teams and except for a couple they are right there battling their asses off.  

1 minute ago, DevilDog said:

Yes.  I have mad respect for DLS.  I really enjoyed the game here in Texas and the opportunity to watch those kids in person and Maurice Drew made the trip as well.  Their Precision and timing is just a thing to watch.  Regardless if you are a fan or not certain teams in certain places are just special.  MD and SJB obviously are playing with a certain deck dealt to them but even with that I enjoy watching the DLS Discipline against those stacked teams and except for a couple they are right there battling their asses off.  

Youngest one got a photo with MJD tonight. 

• Like 1