DLS VS FOLSOM OFFICIAL GAME THREAD DLS 14 folsom ZERO!!!!!

AztecPadre

14-0 This was the outcome on the first game of the season. Could you imagine what DLS would do to the devil in a playoff game, once the veer is running on all cylinders.

Devil, DLS is a locomotive equipped with 12 cylinders. Last night they were at about 1 cylinder, 2 tops. 😂

37 minutes ago, Extremely Humble said:

Okay not home cooking. Just bad refs. It’s not just this game though, you see it constantly on all levels. Part of the reason football is slowly dying. The refs have too much say in the game. 

It’s an imperfect game 

the ball is not round and sometimes takes funny bounces 

the refs are part of the landscape 

I feel for you, but it’s a bad look to go there the day after

4 minutes ago, Pops said:

Your opinion is not outrageous

I agree

4 minutes ago, Pops said:

because you were so over the top in the days, weeks, and months leading up to this

A method to the madness. As I have said before, if you knew me, you'd understand. My sick sense of humor is taken way too literally sometimes. 

5 minutes ago, Pops said:

i will if you guys stop calling it home cooking with SJS refs

I never said ANYTHING like that. I DID mention the obvious missed call near the end zone that would have changed the complexion of the entire game. Would Folsom have won? Probably not. But it is worth noting. 

Just now, Pops said:

It’s an imperfect game 

the ball is not round and sometimes takes funny bounces 

the refs are part of the landscape 

I feel for you, but it’s a bad look to go there the day after

You’re right I don’t want to take anything away from DLS kids. Great team, great program. 

Folsom was every bit as good as DLS last night just made too many mistakes. 

Both teams will be better by the bowl games. 

3 minutes ago, old_e said:

14-0 This was the outcome on the first game of the season. Could you imagine what DLS would do to the devil in a playoff game, once the veer is running on all cylinders.

Devil, DLS is a locomotive equipped with 12 cylinders. Last night they were at about 1 cylinder, 2 tops. 😂

Folsom defense is LEGIT.

Could you imagine when Folsom gets the offense clicking on all 16 cylinders!?

Oh my.............................................................................................................

38 minutes ago, DLS350 said:

I was at the game. Sat through the entire JV game and cooked in the heat to get a seat. Great atmosphere for a high school game, would rather have a small venue than a large one. First off, hats off to Folsom very good team. Dynamic offense and stout defense. The entire game I felt the Folsom offense was one play away from breaking a TD, credit to the DLS defense for not letting that happen. For me, typical first game for DLS offense. Not very sharp, conservative play calling with young QB and the OL didn’t block well. A lot of that I credit the Folsom defense, were very physical along the front. The DLS offense will get better and you could see the young QB has game, he can run, throw and throw on the run. I called this game a pickem, DLS did just enough to win or Folsom did just enough to lose. As far as penalties, turnovers and missed calls, both teams had them and that’s part of the game. Both teams have work to do, DLS has Gorman coming to town and Folsom is traveling to LA. Good luck to both teams the rest of the season.

Any standouts on the JV team?

3 minutes ago, Pops said:

Thanks 

so.... quick synopsis on SJB — was that a HUGE statement, was it more to do with timpview not being able to defend themselves, or a bit of both 

I just saw the score which was impressive 

They looked pretty good. They forced something like 4 or 5 turnovers and basically took their foot off the gas 1 possession into the 3rd quarter. Not quite sure how good Timpview is, but they're certainly no Bingham. Sometimes hard to evaluate teams in week 0...

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

Any standouts on the JV team?

#10 at running back, he was the DLS offense. #59 on the ol/dl, had a very good game. Folsom ‘s jv team had bigger lines but other than that, neither team was overly impressive. Final was 34-20 DLS. The D did have two pick 6’s, that was the score difference.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Good morning, gents.

I had to just let this one marinade for the night before posting. First things first...it was great to meet the members that showed up last night for delicious pizza (and one skoal bandit...but that's another story LOL): Prep, 15yards, Russ (and his son, Jimmy), PGA1day, World Citizen, NorCalSportsfan, and the guy who showed up because he loves HSFB, follows us on PG, and he enjoys watching us knuckleheads make fools of ourselves daily. But he doesn't post. Turns out, he and I've met before. Small world. He's a cool cat and you're reading this, you need to sign up and post with us. You guys were all really fun to hang with. There were several guys from NorCalPreps and Spartanhood that we met later at the game. One person was conspicuously missing: block/FPB/FST/G61/Kingera/cashking etc. I had his hundy, but since he didn't show, I had to buy more beer and pizza.

Speaking of block. Dude, I get all of the trolling. Ya got me hooked more than once during 6 months of back and forth. But the lying to troll is not cool. I'm no angel, so I'll just leave it at that. And you should have showed after all that nonsense for 6 months. It's against the man code to not. That being said, I appreciate your apology, but no need. I'm a grown man that made my own decision to engage. I'm not sure what satisfaction you get from doing that, but to each his own. Thanks for stepping up and owning the tough loss. To the game....

I'll keep this as short as possible because I'm heading home in a few. I'm wearing my DLS gear downtown today :D:ph34r:

This score 14-0, was a function of two talented teams with great coaching having all summer to prepare for one-another. Both defenses completely took the respective opponent's offense out of the game, and came down to defense and miscues. DLS had more defense and less mistakes. But that is part of the game.

Folsom, in my humble opinion, is a really good team. They've got athletes galore and will destroy most teams in front of them. Their problem is just what we've ALL been talking about. They put up video game numbers against nobodys. Their prior competition did not  prepare them for a game of this caliber (mentally and physically). If they'da had tougher games prior to this, maybe they don't look ordinary against DLS. THIS is what happens when you play GOOD teams. DLS and other top teams have been on both ends of games playing other GOOD teams. The game against ET comes to mind, so I feel Folsom's pain in that respect. I understand the coulda, woulda, shoulda thing. Those aren't just "turnovers" for Folsom. Those two picks by Garrett are TDs against Woodcreek. That's elite speed that made those picks. That's an elite defense stripping the ball, and forcing turnovers on downs.

That said, their defense was much better than I expected even with the long preparation time for DLS. Those kids played their butts off and played with discipline. They were ready. Props to them. I was impressed. Not much else to say.

THAT said, their offense completely underperformed. D. Ngata is ridiculous. Dude's got size, agility, and speed. He will be a legit D1 RB. Had what appeared to be a tough call against him with that fumble at the goal line. Joe Ngata was shut down. Shut down to the point that at the end he ran "angry" trucking and almost permanently disabling a Spartan DB. Damn that was a hard hit. Could hear it plain as day from the other side of the field. And it's not like DLS was doubling him all night. There was some help over the top, but let me tell ya, Amir Wallace's (#14) stock just went up after this game. He was pretty much mano y mano with Ngata all night and he made a bunch of great pass defenses. Several with the game on the line. And my opinion is still out on Bennett. The DLS line, as we all said would happen, was all over him all night. I think DLS had 7 sacks.

Everyone's talking about how Folsom dominated, but they really didn't. They had one nice pass play to Badger for about 35 yards, and a couple of nice runs by Ngata, but that was about it. They moved the ball a little bit between the 20s as expected, but couldn't punch it in...which I expected as well. The spread sucks once ya get near the goal line if ya don't have the Jimmies and Joes to punch it in.

For DLS, the offense completely underperformed also. But Hale did fine. He managed the game pretty well for a first time sophomore starter. First soph QB since '91 I think to start the first game of the season. Made a couple of really nice throws and missed a couple or reads. He's got poise. From where we were sitting you could see that 4th and 6 play develop, he hung in the pocket and threw the ball when the receiver wasn't even open yet and nailed it. HUGE. He's only going to get better as well as the offense. I did expect the OL to have a better game. They've got the talent there, but they need to step it up from here. The next 4 games are no joke either. Again, these two teams had all summer to prepare for the respective offenses. So, in retrospect, I'm not surprised that this was a defensive game. Many people actually called that. I didn't...lol!

What can ya say about that DLS D? Are we surprised? 9 out of 11 will be playing Saturdays. However, they didn't do anything special really. They got pressure with their front 4, kept tight coverage, stayed disciplined, and just rallied to the ball once in the air. The DLS LBs stopped a lot of short/intermediate passes from turning into big runs. Again, that's elite speed, not River City speed.

DLS Coaches for the win in this one.

These are both really good and pretty evenly matched teams in their own respect. Both teams now need to refocus, as each have big games coming up next week. Jesuit looks a lot like DLS, and CC is coming off of a shellacking of Clovis.

Peace, brothers.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

They put up video game numbers against nobodys. Their prior competition did not  prepare them for a game of this caliber (mentally and physically).

I agree with everything you said except for this.

Not even Mater Dei or Bishop Gorman held DLS to 14 points in one game. In Folsom played nobody, they would have been BLOWN OUT in this game. They were EVERY bit as physical as DLS. In fact, they had a chance to win. But, they didn't. I DO think that Folsoms coaching staff was not ready for this caliber of a team or defense. Some very questionable calls and unwillingness to stick with the run, which was working. Like you said, this works against Del Oro, but not DLS. I think they could have done a better job. But, it's week 0! What more can you say? Both teams will improve. 

I think people will say Folsom is as advertised and DLS is what they are. I don't think many of us were surprised.

It was a great game though to be at. A fun 6 months lead up.....over the top at times, but it is what it is. 

Good luck to you the rest of the year. I will be rootin you on!

1 minute ago, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

I agree with everything you said except for this.

Not even Mater Dei or Bishop Gorman held DLS to 14 points in one game. In Folsom played nobody, they would have been BLOWN OUT in this game. That was not even the case. In fact, they had a chance to win. But, they didn't.

I think people will say Folsom is as advertised and DLS is what they are. I don't think many of us were surprised.

It was a great game though to be at. A fun 6 months lead up.....over the top at times, but it is what it is. 

Good luck to you the rest of the year. I will be rootin you on!

I agree, and thanks. Good luck to Folsom the rest of the way. They will rep NorCal well the rest of the year. And WE move on as well.

But from the defensive side of the ball, the Bulldogs were ready. Very impressed. But their offense just wasn't used to the intensity, toughness, and speed of DLS in my opinion. That doesn't mean that Folsom is not tough or mentally weak, but it's just "muscle memorization" and experience that prepares athletes for bigtime moments. Those two picks come to mind. Those are TDs against 99% of teams Folsom has played. I think that Folsom did themselves a disservice by not getting out and playing some SoCal teams LAST year. Folsom, as or right now, is right there with DLS. They may have won without the TOs.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

. Their problem is just what we've ALL been talking about. They put up video game numbers against nobodys. Their prior competition did not  prepare them for a game of this caliber (mentally and physically). If they'da had tougher games prior to this, maybe they don't look ordinary against DLS. THIS is what happens when you play GOOD teams.

Really this is my only beef with the devil.  Garnered high national rankings based on W/L record vs nobody's.  Other than that, I don't have any issues with the program.  Appreciate that everyone else finally see's it too now. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

I agree, and thanks. Good luck to Folsom the rest of the way. They will rep NorCal well the rest of the year. And WE move on as well.

But from the defensive side of the ball, the Bulldogs were ready. Very impressed. But their offense just wasn't used to the intensity, toughness, and speed of DLS in my opinion. That doesn't mean that Folsom is not tough or mentally weak, but it's just "muscle memorization" and experience that prepares athletes for bigtime moments. Those two picks come to mind. Those are TDs against 99% of teams Folsom has played. I think that Folsom did themselves a disservice by not getting out and playing some SoCal teams LAST year. Folsom, as or right now, is right there with DLS. They may have won without the TOs.

Honestly saying  Folsom is "right there with DLS" isn't as much of a compliment you think it is.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

Not even Mater Dei or Bishop Gorman held DLS to 14 points in one game.

You keep saying this. This is not understanding football. Those games were played at a different pace and tempo. In both of those games, MD and BG dictated the gameplay. The fact that DLS was limited to 14 in the first game of the season in a field position game when they held their opponent to 0 does not mean the Folsom D is necessarily better than either the BG or MD because they gave up points in a blood bath.  

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

Folsom did themselves in. Five turnovers isnt going to get it done against DLS. 

They were every bit as good and talented but you have to always assume one thing with DLS- they wont beat themselves. And they didn't. That was the difference. 

On another note- remember you laughed at me when I said folsoms defense and D line would be good!? I was trying to help u!

• Thumbs Down 1

5 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

You keep saying this. This is not understanding football. Those games were played at a different pace and tempo. In both of those games, MD and BG dictated the gameplay. The fact that DLS was limited to 14 in the first game of the season in a field position game when they held their opponent to 0 does not mean the Folsom D is necessarily better than either the BG or MD because they gave up points in a blood bath.  

That sounds like an excuse. Take off the homer hat. All games are different. Still not an excuse. 

No excuses. Give credit where credit is due. I have. 

6 minutes ago, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

That sounds like an excuse. Take off the homer hat. All games are different. Still not an excuse. 

No excuses. Give credit where credit is due. I have. 

I have given credit. Again, many non DLS guys on here will hold the same opinion. It’s not a good comparison. Folsom D was good, but it’s a bad comparison