What up Texas?

DevilDog

2 hours ago, Champa said:

So Anthony Black didn't play most the game. Dville was also without CJ Ford.

It's still an impressive win, but if they meet in the playoffs and DV is fully powered up, I'd favor Dville in a rematch.

We’ll see. DV only beat Desoto and Martin by 6, so either the competition is better than thought or they are not deep and overly dependent on Anthony black. 

On 12/28/2021 at 4:12 PM, Champa said:

Son of a bitch.

Dallas Carter - 69

Silsbee - 67

Basketball, obviously. Have to play a good Bishop Lynch team after this game.

Also see the Desoto girls lost a game 😞

Silsbee is legit for 4A. Lufkin is 19-3 right now and one of those losses was to them. Lufkin player 6A #7 Cy Falls closer then they did 4A #2 Silsbee

Faith Family is #1 of corse.

Silsbee needs to get their act together after that Madison game. No excuse for them losing like they did other than lack of heart and effort.

Another interesting thing is Dallas Kimball got taken out at this same tourney. Some of these TAPPS 6A schools ain't no joke.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ararar said:

Let him play. I’m all for parents being empowered to do what’s best for their kids and their future. The mothers claim is she and her son were abused by her husband. She is the girlfriend and has been living with the DV coach for a while. It’s messy no doubt but let him play 

• Like 3

I say let him play in this situation, but there needs to be some clear rules going forward on what is and isn't acceptable.

I say if you transfer and play sports, you have to sit out a year before you can play. No exemptions given. You can still send your kids to whatever school you want, but you'd better pick wisely and plan ahead.

It's not fair to anyone else that some schools can all of a sudden have a bunch of seniors on their team that were nowhere to be found last year and sleepwalk their way to a title. That's BS and it happens in basketball way too often. See: Dallas Kimball, Faith Family, Madison, and, of course, Duncanville.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Let him play. I’m all for parents being empowered to do what’s best for their kids and their future. The mothers claim is she and her son were abused by her husband. She is the girlfriend and has been living with the DV coach for a while. It’s messy no doubt but let him play 

4 hours ago, Champa said:

I say let him play in this situation, but there needs to be some clear rules going forward on what is and isn't acceptable.

I say if you transfer and play sports, you have to sit out a year before you can play. No exemptions given. You can still send your kids to whatever school you want, but you'd better pick wisely and plan ahead.

It's not fair to anyone else that some schools can all of a sudden have a bunch of seniors on their team that were nowhere to be found last year and sleepwalk their way to a title. That's BS and it happens in basketball way too often. See: Dallas Kimball, Faith Family, Madison, and, of course, Duncanville.

Very tough situation indeed.There should be some kind of hardship rule in place.I wonder if there would be a law suit if he wasn’t the player he is? I know the UIL is pretty strict on such things 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ararar said:

Very tough situation indeed.There should be some kind of hardship rule in place.I wonder if there would be a law suit if he wasn’t the player he is? I know the UIL is pretty strict on such things 

Yep! The reality is this stuff happens all the time, wife and kids leave an abusive husband and enrolls her kids at another school.  No one bats an eye if it’s not a star athlete. Life happens and people react accordingly. UIL needs to butt out completely regarding transfers. They should focus on safety and competition protocol, scheduling and rules.  That’s it! 

• Like 2

The arms race in Texas HS basketball has been going on for sometime now. These kids play together in AAU and naturally wanna team up in HS. Im all for letting kids play at whatever school they want. If a kid wants to play at 4 different schools in 4 different years let him. Might be a red flag to recruiters. I just think a parent should be able to do what is best for their child. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Yep! The reality is this stuff happens all the time, wife and kids leave an abusive husband and enrolls her kids at another school.  No one bats an eye if it’s not a star athlete. Life happens and people react accordingly. UIL needs to butt out completely regarding transfers. They should focus on safety and competition protocol, scheduling and rules.  That’s it! 

100% agree. The UIL has a strangle hold on athletics in Texas that makes the NCAA only wish it had. 

• Like 1

3A St Louis Catholic (Lake Charles, La) will play @ 4A Vidor, TX this year....only 48 miles. 

Vidor was 8-2 last year and #10 in 4A-1 per MaxPreps. I have no clue.

Calpreps had Vidor as a Top 1000 team at #684....

https://www.maxpreps.com/list/rankings.aspx?ssid=97e3f828-856d-419e-b94f-7f41319fe3d3&schoolid=6128279b-d163-4257-928b-faf750bb954c&ranktype=statedivision&statedivisionid=6d6831a6-3be0-4cf1-ae2f-d6fa7966189d

TexasBob says Vidor's Football Stadium holds 7500....

342.jpg

Just now, RedZone said:

3A St Louis Catholic (Lake Charles, La) will play @ 4A Vidor, TX this year....only 48 miles. 

Vidor was 8-2 last year and #10 in 4A-1 per MaxPreps. I have no clue.

Calpreps had Vidor as a Top 1000 team at #684....

https://www.maxpreps.com/list/rankings.aspx?ssid=97e3f828-856d-419e-b94f-7f41319fe3d3&schoolid=6128279b-d163-4257-928b-faf750bb954c&ranktype=statedivision&statedivisionid=6d6831a6-3be0-4cf1-ae2f-d6fa7966189d

TexasBob says Vidor's Football Stadium holds 7500....

342.jpg

2022 St. Louis Catholic Schedule
W1 @ Crowley
W2 @ Iota
W3 @ Vidor (TX)
W4 Kinder*
W5 @ South Beauregard*
W6 Westlake*
W7 @ LCCP*
W8 South Lafourche
W9 Iowa*
W10 @ Jennings*

Dallas Kimball is the perfect example of why there should be some restrictions in place. They get beat by Beaumont United at state last year. What do you do? Put out a beacon and bring in as many new transfers as you can for next year. 

There should by rules in place that's fair for everyone across the board. 

On 1/8/2022 at 1:50 PM, RedZone said:

2022 St. Louis Catholic Schedule
W1 @ Crowley
W2 @ Iota
W3 @ Vidor (TX)
W4 Kinder*
W5 @ South Beauregard*
W6 Westlake*
W7 @ LCCP*
W8 South Lafourche
W9 Iowa*
W10 @ Jennings*

This team is known for getting bopped by an East Texas team in the first round everytime they do make the playoffs.

But Vidor may be favored slightly.

• 2 weeks later...

Takeaways from UIL’s classification cutoff numbers: Highland Park joining 6A, Argyle to 5A and more (dallasnews.com)

Takeaways from UIL’s classification cutoff numbers: Highland Park joining 6A, Argyle to 5A and more

Also, 10-time state champion Aledo and 2021 state semifinalist Mansfield Summit are changing divisions within 5A.

Six-time football state champion Highland Park is moving up to Class 6A. Eleven-time Lone Star Cup winner Argyle will be joining 5A.

And 10-time state champion Aledo and 2021 state semifinalist Mansfield Summit are changing divisions within 5A.

Those are the big takeaways from Wednesday, when the University Interscholastic League announced its classification cutoff numbers for February’s biennial realignment.

Highland Park’s enrollment of 2,245.5 was just above the 6A cutoff line of 2,225. Highland Park, which is currently the state’s second-largest 5A school, will be joining the UIL’s top classification for the first time since the 2014 (fall)-2016 (spring) realignment cycle.

“It’s always close with us,” Highland Park ISD athletic director Johnny Ringo said. “I looked at the total numbers this morning, the list of schools, and there are seven [in 6A] that are smaller than us, and two of those are opt-ups. We’re always either going to be right at the top of 5A or one of the smallest 6As. I think prior to 2014, 2015, the last time Highland Park was [in the top classification] was in the late ‘80s maybe.”

Highland Park hovered around the 6A cutoff line for the last three realignments but always barely stayed in 5A. Highland Park was 11 students under the 6A cutoff number two years ago.

Highland Park has won three of the last four Class 5A Lone Star Cups, which recognizes the best overall athletic and academic programs in Texas. Highland Park won state titles in team tennis and boys golf last school year while placing among the top five at state in marching band, academics and girls cross country.

“We feel like we’re one of the top 5A programs in the state, and our goal has always been these last few years to try to play the top 6A programs that we can from a competition standpoint in each of our programs,” Ringo said. “We do the same with all of our sports, just to try to understand and have our kids understand what it takes to compete at that highest level.

“Depending on which district we’re put in, it could mean less travel for us because of not having to go as far east as we went this past couple of years with Longview and Tyler.”

Argyle, which produced five state championships and two state runner-up finishes last school year to win the Class 4A Lone Star Cup, fell 42 students above the 5A cutoff line of 1,300 and will play in 5A Division II for football. Argyle, the 2020 4A Division I state champion in football, saw its enrollment rise dramatically over the last two years, increasing from 1,051 to 1,342.

Argyle football coach Todd Rodgers said his school has already been given the go-ahead to start staffing for being a 5A school.

“It’s been expected. We knew growth was happening in Argyle and that we needed to up our game,” Rodgers said.

Aledo, which won the previous three 5A Division II state titles in football, will be moving up to 5A Division I with an enrollment of 2,090. That will place Aledo in the same division as powerhouses Denton Ryan, Frisco Lone Star, College Station, Crosby and Lubbock Cooper. Cooper and Crosby, both 5A Division II state semifinalists this season, are moving up to 5A Division I.

Mansfield Summit, in the 5A Division I state semifinals for the second straight year, will move down to 5A Division II for football with an enrollment of 1,922.5. That wasn’t the only change for Mansfield ISD, as Mansfield Legacy is moving up from 5A to 6A after its enrollment rose from 2,205.5 to 2,467. Legacy is currently the state’s third-largest 5A school.

Two of the area’s fastest-growing schools were Royse City and North Forney, which are both moving up from 5A Division II to 6A. Royse City’s enrollment increased from 1,904 to 2,233.5, and North Forney’s enrollment rose from 1,894 to 2,292.

Skyline will remain the only 6A school among Dallas ISD’s 22 high schools. Its enrollment of 4,297 makes it the sixth-largest 6A school in the Dallas area behind Allen (7,102), Plano East (5,514), Plano West (5,333), Plano (4,694) and Duncanville (4,642).

Allen, the state’s largest school, continues to grow. Its enrollment for the current alignment was 6,959.

Melissa, which reached a regional final in Class 4A Division I for football this season, is moving up to 5A and will play in Division II for football. Melissa will be joined in its new division by Midlothian Heritage, which was one of the area’s top 4A schools this year.

Melissa saw a tremendous amount of growth over the last two years, going from an enrollment of 971 to 1,317.

“We kind of figured it would go that way,” Melissa football coach Matt Nally said. “Our town is growing, and our community is excited about the growth. We’re excited about getting to play in a larger division. Our kids were pretty pumped about it when they found out.”

What will be the biggest challenges of being in a larger classification?

“I would say probably depth,” Nally said. " I’ve been in Melissa for seven years, and this is the first year that I can say that we’ve really had depth. Looking at 5A schools, they have so many kids involved. And there are going to be a lot more schools with a lot more talent in regard to just overall talent. Melissa has a ton of talent, and we will next year and the years beyond, but just playing schools with an equal amount of talent [will be a challenge].”

2022-24 preliminary UIL realignment numbers

Class Enrollment Number of schools
6A 2,225 and above 249
5AI 1,925-2,224 132
5AII 1,300-1,924 119
4AI 880-1,299 99
4AII 545-879 94
3AI 360-544 102
3AII 250-359 102
2AI 164.5-249 106

Southlake Carroll assistant coach Aaron Lineweaver is hired as Euless Trinity’s head football coach

New Trinity coach is the son of former Trinity coaching legend Steve Lineweaver.

The son of a Euless Trinity legend is joining the school to coach one of the state’s premier football teams.

Hurst-Euless-Bedford ISD announced Monday night that Southlake Carroll defensive assistant coach Aaron Lineweaver has been hired as Trinity’s head coach. He is the son of Steve Lineweaver, who retired in December 2014 after coaching 15 seasons at Trinity and winning Class 5A Division I state titles in 2005, 2007 and 2009.

Aaron Lineweaver was hired by Carroll ISD in 2002 and had spent his entire coaching career in that district. He coached in seven state championship games at Carroll, winning five of them.

“We are extremely excited about Aaron. He has a heart for kids. He has an outstanding vision and plan that will keep Trinity among the top programs in the state for years to come,” HEB ISD director of athletics Mike Fielder said.

Lineweaver will replace Chris Jensen, who is retiring after going 69-17 in seven seasons as Trinity’s head coach, including 11-2 this season. Trinity was a regional finalist in 2017 and a regional semifinalist in 2021.

Lineweaver has worked for Carroll head coach Riley Dodge since 2018 and was a part of the Southlake Carroll team that was the 6A Division I state runner-up team in 2020 and a state semifinalist this season. Carroll has made it to at least a regional final each of the last five years, compiling a record of 62-9 in that span.

“Over the last 20 years, I have been blessed to work with and for some of the best coaches and administrators in the state of Texas,” Lineweaver said in a statement. “I have grown in my profession, especially during the past four years.”

Lineweaver attended Southlake Carroll and participated in football, baseball, basketball and track. He received a baseball scholarship to Baylor and later played at Dallas Baptist before being drafted by the Kansas City Royals and playing minor league baseball for five years.

• Thanks 1

Dallas-area storylines to watch: DeSoto girls, Kimball boys face nationally ranked opponents (dallasnews.com)

Kimball set for nationally-ranked showdown: In the midst of district play, Kimball is headed to Florida.

Kimball (17-6), the second-ranked team in The Dallas Morning News area 5A rankings, will play Montverde Academy (Fla.) — ESPN’s No. 3 team in the country, and the reigning GEICO National Champion — at the powerhouses’s invitational tournament starting Thursday.

Montverde, which has produced NBA players Ben Simmons, DeAngelo Russell and RJ Barrett, has another loaded roster this season.

Kimball senior Arterio Morris, a five-star Texas signee, will go toe-to-toe with Montverde senior guard Dariq Whitehead, ESPN’s No. 4 overall recruit who’s signed to Duke. Montverde has four other top 25 recruits: five-star Texas signee Dillon Mitchell, five-star Florida signee Malik Reneau, four-star Indiana signee Jalen Hood-Schifino and four-star Kentucky signee Skyy Clark.

The game will be Kimball’s fourth against a nationally-ranked opponent this season.

“They are good,” Kimball coach Nick Smith said of Montverde. “Guess what? We aren’t scared. We’ll go down there and play them. Win or lose, we’re always getting experience, and then we come back to the district, and it helps.”

UIL Boys HS Bball Rankings

UIL Boys Rankings – TABC HOOPS

Class 6A

1. Richardson (23-1)
2. Duncanville (21-1)
3. Westfield (20-1)
4. Austin Westlake (26-1)
5. FB Elkins (22-5)
6. Dickinson (24-3)
7. Denton Guyer (25-3)
8. Atascocita (23-5)
9. Lake Highlands (23-3)
10. Plano (25-0)
11. McKinney (23-4)
12. Cy Ranch (18-8)
13. Cy Falls (23-4)
14. Clear Brook (25-4)
15. Arlington Martin (19-6)
16. North Crowley (21-5)
17. Shadow Creek (18-2)
18. Pearland Dawson (16-6)
19. Seven Lakes (25-3)
20. Belton (23-4)
21. Harker Heights (24-4)
22. EP Americas (26-1)
23. South Grand Prairie (19-7)
24. SA Reagan (24-4)
25. Lake Travis (20-6)

Class 5A

1. Beaumont United (23-3)
2. Lancaster (18-9)
3. Dallas Kimball (17-6)
4. Mansfield Timberview (24-3)
5. Amarillo (21-6)
6. Crosby (12-10)
7. Frisco Memorial (22-3)
8. Katy Paetow (20-5)
9. Mansfield Summit (20-5)
10. Mansfield Legacy (19-6)
11. FB Marshall (20-2)
12. FB Hightower (19-8)
13. EP Chapin (21-4)
14. Highland Park (18-4)
15. Birdville (16-9)
16. Richland (18-5)
17. SA Jefferson (21-7)
18. Lovejoy (25-2)
19. Boerne Champion (22-5)
20. Red Oak (18-6)
21. Lufkin (20-2)
22. Kingwood Park (20-4)
23. Austin Anderson (20-8)
24. Rouse (19-8)
25. Pace (26-4)

Class 4A

1. Faith Family (22-4)
2. Silsbee (21-6)
3. Houston Washington (19-4)
4. Dallas Carter (20-7)
5. Van Alstyne (21-5)
6. Boerne (20-6)
7. Somerset (23-4)
8. Stafford (19-8)
9. Argyle (20-6)
10. Dallas Roosevelt (16-7)
11. Hardin Jefferson (19-4)
12. LaMarque (16-10)
13. Brazosport (13-12)
14. CC Miller (19-6)
15. La Vega (19-3)
16. Connally (19-3)
17. Canyon (18-5)
18. Hirschi (15-7)
19. Estacado (18-8)
20. Austin LBJ (15-7)
21. West Oso (22-5)
22. Pleasanton (18-6)
23. Paris (24-7)
24. Dunbar (11-14)
25. Bullard (19-3)

Just now, DevilDog said:

@Horsefly  I will take those top 10 6A teams vs. any top 10 in the Nation including the Stacked Privates.  The Top 2 have been kicking those privates asses and Dville only lost to Richardson.  DFW has 6 of the top 11.  That Regional tournament is going to be sick and some great teams not playing in it.

Yeah I agree, the teams are pretty good, it won’t be a cakewalk even for DV.  

• Like 1