What up Texas?

DevilDog

8 hours ago, DevilDog said:

All Time PVIL.  I doubt the UIL wanted that smoke 😁  Check out that Def Line.  Gene Upshaw and Ernie Ladd on the Oline.  Sick WR's .   Hell Legendary Steele Curtain DL: Ernie Holmes didn't even make the team.  That Steeler Front 4 had 2 Tx PVIL kids.  Joe Greene and Ernie Holmes. 🤣 He was a bEast Texas kid to boot.

OFFENSE
WR -- Charley Taylor, Grand Prairie
WR -- Warren Wells, Beaumont Hebert
WR -- Cliff Branch, Houston Worthing
End -- Jerry Levias, Beaumont Hebert
Line -- Gene Upshaw, Robstown
Line -- Marvin Upshaw, Robstown
Line -- Ernie Ladd, Orange
Line -- Clarence Williams, Sweeny Carver
QB -- Otis Taylor, Houston Worthing
Back -- Gene Washington, Baytown Carver
Back -- Duane Thomas, Dallas Lincoln
DEFENSE
Line -- Toby Smith, Beaumont Charlton-Pollard
Line -- Bubba Smith, Beaumont Charlton-Pollard
Line -- Joe Greene, Temple Dunbar
Line -- Harvey Martin, Dallas South Oak Cliff
LB -- Dick Lane, Austin Anderson
LB -- Tony Gillory, Beaumont Hebert
LB -- Emmitt Thomas, Angleton
Back -- Mel Farr, Beaumont Hebert
Back -- Miller Farr, Beaumont Hebert
Back -- Ken Houston, Lufkin Dunbar
Back -- Abner Haynes, Dallas Lincoln

Ken Houston is a Lufkin Dunbar legend and Hall of Famer. My grandpa told me even the white people would show up to watch them play. They won 2 or 3 PVIL state championships which I think should totally count in the UIL record books. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gametyme said:

Ken Houston is a Lufkin Dunbar legend and Hall of Famer. My grandpa told me even the white people would show up to watch them play. They won 2 or 3 PVIL state championships which I think should totally count in the UIL record books. 

Being an bEeast Texas Kid Lufkin Dunbar is legendary as well as Panhandle Douglasville in Bball as small school PVIL.  My parents and grandparents taught me about it and my Unc was a 100m Champ.  T&F is deep in my family.  PVIL & UIL Champs and State qualifiers. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 1:34 PM, RedZone said:

Monroe Neville has played at the BOB several times.......that would have been a great match up....Texas High vs Monroe Neville

Benton is one of the last Shreveport area teams NOT to play at the BOB so far so  I understand the BOB people wanting to get them in.

Haughton and Airline haven't either to my knowledge.

https://utpress.utexas.edu/books/hurd-thursday-night-lights

@Horsefly @Gametyme

Thursday Night Lights: The Black football stars who once played segregated games in Texas

Rare footage shows Worthing playing Yates High School in 1958 at Third Ward’s Jeppesen Stadium in the Turkey Day Classic on Thanksgiving Day.

"At one time, it was the largest draw for a high school event in the country, 30 to 40,000, standing room only.

• Like 2

@Horsefly Sir check out the 3:30 mark and the commentary.  Such a beloved league.  Though the big schools integrated in 1966.  A lot of small schools remained segregated till 1970.  How good was Lufkin Dunbar 4 straight PVIL champs and in 1968 their 1st year in the UIL still an All Black team.  They went to State and lost 7 - 6 to A School that Would become a bEast Texas powerhouse after integrating.  Daingerfield had sucked forever.  That DF team was their 1st year Integrating with black kids

1968 Texas State Champs
4A - Austin Reagan 17, Odessa Permian 11
3A - Lubbock Estacado 14, Refugio 0
2A - Daingerfield 7, Lufkin Dunbar 6
1A - Sonora 9, Poth 0    

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DevilDog said:

@Horsefly Sir check out the 3:30 mark and the commentary.  Such a beloved league.  Though the big schools integrated in 1966.  A lot of small schools remained segregated till 1970.  How good was Lufkin Dunbar 4 straight PVIL champs and in 1968 their 1st year in the UIL still an All Black team.  They went to State and lost 7 - 6 to A School that Would become a bEast Texas powerhouse after integrating.  Daingerfield had sucked forever.  That DF team was their 1st year Integrating with black kids

1968 Texas State Champs
1A - Sonora 9, Poth 0    

A great history lesson!

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 1:06 PM, DevilDog said:

1968 Texas State Champs
1A - Sonora 9, Poth 0    

Lufkin Dunbar went for 2 against Dangerfield for the win and didn't make it. Yeah it's a pretty Legendary school that produced a ton of players in college and the NFL. It's a primary school now. I wish Lufkin would display their championships at the stadium. Dunbar is a primary school now.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 12:28 PM, DevilDog said:

Former Texas high school football stars in Rams-Bengals Super Bowl

Former Texas high school football stars in Rams-Bengals Super Bowl (chron.com)

They said Sunday on the DFW High School sports channel ABC show that 5 people from Dallas-Fort Worth area played in the Super Bowl. I think most of them were on the Rams.

• 2 weeks later...

Texas speed on display at NFL Combine. @golfaddict1

2nd and 4th fastest ever

Silsbee and Ft. Worth blazing

Kalon Barnes blistering 4.23 and Tariq Woolen 4.26

Baylor cornerback Kalon Barnes and Texas-San Antonio cornerback Tariq Woolen ran two of the fastest 40-yard dash times in the combine's history. Barnes' official 4.23 clocking was the fastest ever for a defensive back and is now considered the second-fastest time to wide receiver John Ross' 4.22 in 2017.

Woolen ran an official 4.26

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Texas speed on display at NFL Combine. @golfaddict1

2nd and 4th fastest ever

Silsbee and Ft. Worth blazing

Kalon Barnes blistering 4.23 and Tariq Woolen 4.26

Baylor cornerback Kalon Barnes and Texas-San Antonio cornerback Tariq Woolen ran two of the fastest 40-yard dash times in the combine's history. Barnes' official 4.23 clocking was the fastest ever for a defensive back and is now considered the second-fastest time to wide receiver John Ross' 4.22 in 2017.

Woolen ran an official 4.26

I recall Kalon Barnes from our track chats and he was at the top of the 100 meter dash in HS, along with Anthony Schwartz as I remember one season.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

I recall Kalon Barnes from our track chats and he was at the top of the 100 meter dash in HS, along with Anthony Schwartz as I remember one season.  

Indeed and if I remember they met up in a national 100 on TV.  Both were big time sprinters.  Our football kids are big in T&F.  Big meet here in Lancaster coming up.  If weather is nice will be at my 1st track meet of the season.  Our Outdoor is off and running

• Like 2

UIL Boys Basketball Pairings

REGIONAL RESULTS

Class 6A

Regional I Tournament

Wilkerson-Greines Activity Center, Fort Worth

Semifinals

McKinney 64, North Crowley 48

Arlington Martin 42, El Paso Americas 37

Final

McKinney 58, Arlington Martin 36

Regional II Tournament