Mythical national champions

181pl

6 hours ago, Blueliner said:

Yeah. I saw it. It was cool. Dumbshit coach didn’t know what to do and went into full meltdown. He was never in that position before. He pulled Tkretiak, arguably the best goalie on earth at the time, because he gave up a “soft” goal. That was a pretty nasty shot by Mike Johnson to tie it up just before intermission. I would blame the D for being lazy and overconfident, and not getting back. I can only imagine what just have been said at intermission to warrant THAT kind of move by Thikonov. You can tell during interviews that Tkretiak is scarred to this day by being pulled. Gotta love history. 

I remember that, pivotal moment. 

BGW

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pops said:

You need to run with this red army theme when discussing socal going forward — complete personnel mismatches overcome with sheer grit and determination — ie preempt aarar’s “socal report” with “Red Army News”

perfect analogy 

It really is. Nothing against SoCal. It is what it is.

“Not tonight boys....not tonight”. This speech sends chills up my spine. That’s gonna be ‘Baugh saying... “Mater Dei, SJB? ...their time is oooowfer”. YOU guys are the best football team in Califonia...now gonoutband take it!!”

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

I remember that, pivotal moment. 

BGW

Yep. Instead of the Russians regrouping at intermission and coming out and scoring like 10 goals in the 2nd, THAT move created a division...an uncertainty....something in that locker room that put a doubt in their collective mind that ruined that team. The players had to have be like WTF?! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

Yep. Instead of the Russians regrouping at intermission and coming out and scoring like 10 goals in the 2nd, THAT move created a division...an uncertainty....something in that locker room that put a doubt in their collective mind that ruined that team. The players had to have be like WTF?! 

Wasn’t it the St Louis Blues that won the cup with the core of that team?

And the coach at the time was smart enough to turn them loose and let them play. 

Really good documentary on that team. 

Coaching lessons indeed,

BGW

5 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Wasn’t it the St Louis Blues that won the cup with the core of that team?

And the coach at the time was smart enough to turn them loose and let them play. 

Really good documentary on that team. 

Coaching lessons indeed,

BGW

Not exactly. But close.  Even though most of the Russian players were drafted at some point by NHL teams, the Soviet government didn't allow their athletes to play professionally in North America until 1990. The 1995 Stanley Cup Champ Detroit Red Wings had 5 players from the 1980 Red Army team. That team also included Sergei Federov and Vladmir Konstantinov who were post 1980 Red Army stars that also came to the NHL. They came as a group in 1989-90. Needless to say, these players would have led many teams to Cups had they been able to play here in their prime. It's a shame that that that many of them never had a chance to play in the NHL. The NHL became A LOT better once the Russian skaters were allowed to play. Only after that did the NHL truly have undeniably the best league in the world. And the rest as we say ...is history.

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2018 at 8:07 AM, 181pl said:

Last year MD was dominant and deserved it. This year, with no clear cut team I'd take North Shore. Or for that matter, Lakeland. The Naughts went through Apopka, Manatee, Kathleen twice, Plant, Edgewater, and STA.  Not an easy task.

Look at MD's schedule against nationally ranked teams. MD lowest opponent was ranked 515. NS played teams 1500 to 7000

11 minutes ago, PFJ said:

Look at MD's schedule against nationally ranked teams. MD lowest opponent was ranked 515. NS played teams 1500 to 7000

That is according to a California propaganda machine. 

you can’t use a California computer to compare California to other states. It doesn’t work. 

California is like 6-20 all time against Bishop Gorman, and Florida and Texas alone have chopped down 3 state champs from Cali with teams who didn’t sniff a title back home. 

The 12th best team in Florida beat the tar out of the consensus number 2 team in Cali. 

This is a pattern. North Shore would of made quick work of that recruited up transfer team from whack ass Cali

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

you can’t use a California computer to compare California to other states. It doesn’t work. 

California is like 6-20 all time against Bishop Gorman, and Florida and Texas alone have chopped down 3 state champs from Cali with teams who didn’t sniff a title back home. 

The 12th best team in Florida beat the tar out of the consensus number 2 team in Cali. 

This is a pattern. North Shore would of made quick work of that recruited up transfer team from whack ass Cali

Says the state that hasn’t had a relevant team since 2013 😂

2 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

DAFAQ LOL MD beat Gorman & IMG this season alone...The Monarchs would stop the NS Offense much like they did SJB's in CIF-SS D1 Championship...You can stomp around with that false bravado, but needing a Hail Mary to beat the only Nationally Ranked opponent they faced, leads any educated person to logically deduce the same conclusion...Enjoy the MNC bestowed by MaxPreps...MD is the concesus National Champion.

https://highschoolfootballamerica.com/mater-dei-no-1-in-high-school-football-america-media-poll/

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ramon said:

DAFAQ LOL MD beat Gorman & IMG this season alone...The Monarchs would stop the NS Offense much like they did SJB's in CIF-SS D1 Championship...You can stomp around with that false bravado, but needing a Hail Mary to beat the only Nationally Ranked opponent they faced, leads any educated person to logically deduce the same conclusion...Enjoy the MNC bestowed by MaxPreps...MD is the concesus National Champion.

https://highschoolfootballamerica.com/mater-dei-no-1-in-high-school-football-america-media-poll/

North shore played nationally ranked Katy twice. 

MD put on a clown show the 1st time they played SJB, getting their asses kicked.  There wasn’t a whole lot of defensive stops going on that game.  Talk about false bravado 😂   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

North shore played nationally ranked Katy twice. 

MD put on a clown show the 1st time they played SJB, getting their asses kicked.  There wasn’t a whole lot of defensive stops going on that game.  Talk about false bravado 😂   

How'd that 2nd game against Bosco go? Katy? Katy? They're not even a Top 25 team FFS LOL  Try again...

9 minutes ago, Ramon said:

How'd that 2nd game against Bosco go? Katy? Katy? They're not even a Top 25 team FFS LOL  Try again...

i don’t put a lot of stock into calpreps rankings I’ve seen most of those CA teams and a lot are overrated. You guys have gotten the fat head actually believing you have played and beaten all these ranked teams. Keep dreaming.  Lol

its the whole body of work, MD got their ass kicked during the season.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

i don’t put a lot of stock into calpreps rankings I’ve seen most of those CA teams and a lot are overrated. You guys have gotten the fat head actually believing you have played and beaten all these ranked teams.  Especially DLS.  Keep dreaming.  Lol

its the whole body of work, MD got their ass kicked during the season.  

Beating Bishop Gorman, IMG and SJB is now considered playing overrated teams? I guess being from a state who's teams are afraid to leave it's borders, that narrative might help you sleep at night  LOL

1 minute ago, Ramon said:

Beating Bishop Gorman, IMG and SJB is now considered playing overrated teams? I guess being from a state who's teams are afraid to leave it's borders, that narrative might help you sleep at night  LOL

I said California teams were overrated which padded the MD record.  Get your head outta your ass and read what I actually typed.  You’re just another clown newbie running his big mouth on the site acting like a badass.  Sit your ass down like the foam finger waving fan you are, stfu and quit acting like its you out there making plays and winning games.  You OOS tough guys calling out other teams always crack me up.  😂 

1 minute ago, Horsefly said:

I said California teams were overrated which padded the MD record.  Get your head outta your ass and read what I actually typed.  You’re just another clown newbie running his big mouth on the site acting like a badass.  Sit your ass down like the foam finger waving fan you are, stfu and quit acting like its you out there making plays and winning games.  You OOS tough guys calling out other teams always crack me up.  😂 

Yeah, cause running your mouth on a board like this qualifies you to be the expert?  You must be someone who peaked in high school, congrats on being a big fish in the small pond. MD played TWO out of state nationally ranked teams & beat them. Doesn't matter what MaxPreps says...The concesus National Champion is Mater Dei based on putting ALL the polls together.

3 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

41-18!!!!   😂 😂 😂.   No “elite” team recruiting from half of SoCal should ever lose a game this bad.  

Try harder next year....Ramón 

Honest question, why are Texas teams afraid of a Home at Home series with perennial powerhouses outside it's state?