Bolt the GOAT

DevilDog

8 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

I picked Bolt as the greatest athlete ever.  Dude just ran a 4.22 in sweats and sneakers. And he slowed up.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/usain-bolt-casually-ties-nfl-combines-40-yard-dash-record-sweatpants-203431086.html

Usain Bolt runs 4.22 to tie the fastest NFL 40...in sweats and sneakers

He's the greatest sprinter of all time. I don't know how is hands and coordination are. Could he catch a football ? How is ihis lateral pursuit ? Could he play b-ball ?  How about the greatest Olympian of them all, Michael Phelps ? Guy dominated his sport in all disciplines . He won the 50 all the way to the 400  individual medley . 23 golds and 5 silver. Bolt is great sprinter, but to be considered all time greatest athlete, he would have to do more in my opinion. King Carl won 4 straight Olympic long jumps to go along with his sprints. Maybe Bolt should have upped the ante and entered the 400. If he would have won all 3 events then he would be compared to the great Emil zatopec  of years past ( forget how to pronounce his full name ) .

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

He's the greatest sprinter of all time. I don't know how is hands and coordination are. Could he catch a football ? How is ihis lateral pursuit ? Could he play b-ball ?  How about the greatest Olympian of them all, Michael Phelps ? Guy dominated his sport in all disciplines . He won the 50 all the way to the 400  individual medley . 23 golds and 5 silver. Bolt is great sprinter, but to be considered all time greatest athlete, he would have to do more in my opinion. King Carl won 4 straight Olympic long jumps to go along with his sprints. Maybe Bolt should have upped the ante and entered the 400. If he would have won all 3 events then he would be compared to the great Emil zatopec  of years past ( forget how to pronounce his full name ) .

He will outrun every human on Earth ever in History.  He can dunk and play Soccer  at a high level.  He did up the ante look what he did anchoring that 4x100.  You don't have to agree.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DevilDog said:

He will outrun every human on Earth ever in History.  He can dunk and play Soccer  at a high level.  He did up the ante look what he did anchoring that 4x100.  You don't have to agree.

You really are this ridiculously naive, aren't you? Dude is nowhere near the caliber of athlete as Bo Jackson, Michael Jordan, Jim Thorpe or any decathlete for that matter.

But he can run fast so that makes him the GOAT. SMH.

BTW, the dude better be able to dunk a basketball. He's 6'5".

You're completely lost.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DevilDog said:

I picked Bolt as the greatest athlete ever.  Dude just ran a 4.22 in sweats and sneakers. And he slowed up.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/usain-bolt-casually-ties-nfl-combines-40-yard-dash-record-sweatpants-203431086.html

And Bo Jackson ran a 4.13 while not training year-round only as a sprinter as Bolt's done his entire career and also while being 20-25 heavier. Take that for data!

Bo Jackson ran a 4.13 40-yard dash at the 1986 NFL combine

Jackson was a worlds better all-around athlete than Bolt. And even Jackson may not be the GOAT.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, hardhit1 said:

Jesse Owens was by far the greatest athlete ever

what he did in 1936 could be repeated NEVER again 

What Jesse Owens did will never be repeated because of the historical significance. It was arguably one of most important moments in sports history since he did it in Germany in front of Hitler. 

Carl Lewis also won 4 golds in 1984 in the same exact events that Owens did in 1936  (100, 200, 4X100, long jump) but it holds nowhere the significance because of the backdrop of history. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, DevilDog said:

For a short time.  And running isn’t everything, it’s just the easiest.

If you want to read about an all-around athlete, look up Rafer Johnson.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

You really are this ridiculously naive, aren't you? Dude is nowhere near the caliber of athlete as Bo Jackson, Michael Jordan, Jim Thorpe or any decathlete for that matter.

But he can run fast so that makes him the GOAT. SMH.

BTW, the dude better be able to dunk a basketball. He's 6'5".

You're completely lost.

Legit post...

...dd has a terrible habit of overselling all his "opinions"..

I'm a track guy.  I know about the decathlete's and Jesse Owens.  Most African Americans are faster than Germans even in 1936.  That was only a shock to Nazis and racist here in America.  😂Jesse  out ran Nazis and but couldn't eat in a restaurant in the U.S but the Nazi could.  Jesse let them make mockery of him back here in the U.S..  This post about Goat is about Bolt being fast.  Not about the best athlete ever. I have my opinion on that and mentioned it.  Bo Jackson did nothing that Jackie Robinson didn't do under the same B.S that Jesse went thru and even worse. 

Dude ran a 4.22 in sweats and sneakers.  Ask a T&F guy about that.  

Didn’t post in OT, but Robinson was a guy at the top. And I’ve always thought Bo could do whatever he wanted to.

But it’s so subjective what makes a guy a great athlete. I mean I put Tom Glavine way up there. Dude was a bauce. Stud MLB player who also got drafted by the NHL. Two totally different disciplines he excelled in. To me that is athletic talent.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Here you say he’s the greatest athlete ever.

5 hours ago, DevilDog said:

I'm a track guy.  I know about the decathlete's and Jesse Owens.  Most African Americans are faster than Germans even in 1936.  That was only my a shock to Nazis and racist here.  😂Jesse  out ran Nazis and but couldn't eat in a restaurant in the U.S but the Nazi could.  Jesse let them make mockery of him back here in the U.S..  This post about Goat is about Bolt being fast.  Not about the best athlete ever. I have my opinion on that and mentioned it.  Bo Jackson did nothing that Jackie Robinson didn't do under the same B.S that Jesse went thru and even worse. 

Here you say it’s only about him being a sprinter.

You may have a case for fastest guy, although it’s not clearcut, but there’s a lot of pushback about him being the best athlete.

Which is it?

You can’t have it both ways.

• Like 1

Jackie Robinson.  Check out his career achievements at UCLA in football, basketball, baseball, and track.  Great major leaguer under the most extreme of circumstances.

Danny Ainge.  Impressive resume.

On the high school level Ronald Curry was as good an all around player I have seen play high school football.  He was also a McDonald’s AA in hoops.

5 hours ago, Wosinc said:

You may have a case for fastest guy, although it’s not clearcut, but there’s a lot of pushback about him being the best athlete.

Which is it?

Well actually I can have my opinion any way I want.  This is about him running a 4.22. I mentioned that I picked him as the best athlete.  I don't care about anyone disagrreing since there is no criteria for such a title.  

The forty isn't even simething he should be great at actually.  He is a long striding sprinter who hiis his spied around 60 - 70 yrs.  Yet he runs a 4.22 in freaking sweats and sneakers.  I don't think non T&F guys understand how frwaking impressive that is.  Off the street.  Incredible athlete.  

On 2/3/2019 at 12:46 AM, CaliNorth said:

Bolt probably could have been the fastest human from the 100m to the 400m if he chose to.  He has close to wild animal speed.

12 hours ago, Wosinc said:

Which is it?

Hold on you saying it's not clear cut that Bolt is the fastest human ever?

18 hours ago, DevilDog said:

I'm a track guy.  I know about the decathlete's and Jesse Owens.  Most African Americans are faster than Germans even in 1936.  That was only a shock to Nazis and racist here in America.  😂Jesse  out ran Nazis and but couldn't eat in a restaurant in the U.S but the Nazi could.  Jesse let them make mockery of him back here in the U.S..  This post about Goat is about Bolt being fast.  Not about the best athlete ever. I have my opinion on that and mentioned it.  Bo Jackson did nothing that Jackie Robinson didn't do under the same B.S that Jesse went thru and even worse. 

Let's not leave out that he is retired as well.

2 hours ago, nptb17 said:

Bolt probably could have been the fastest human from the 100m to the 400m if he chose to.  He has close to wild animal speed.

But we'll never know. The 400 is a different animal. Way more grueling and tougher race than a 9 sec or 19 sec race. In fact all those races above the 100 and 200 are way tougher. Thats why its hard to say he is goat when others have done feats equal or better than he has in much tougher races. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2019 at 12:25 AM, DevilDog said:

He also left on go and didn't start on his own movement like at the NFL combine.   Not sure what device was used in timing, but 4.22 is pretty sick.   Christian Coleman ran a 4.12 once, but not in sweats and sneakers.   I'd like to see Grant Holloway's 40 yard dash right now.