Who Wins? DLS or STA? (A: STA)

181pl

Who Wins? DLS or STA?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins? DLS or STA?

• De La Salle
    • Saint Thomas Aquinas

Just now, frankyjames said:

Disagree. I think he is WAY over hyped by the DLS crew. I think they would have won last night when decent QB play. 

He might be over-hyped. But, when has DLS ever had a world-beater at QB? He's about as good or better than their typical QBs. He's every bit as good (or better) for the DLS offense as Bart Houston was. Now THAT was an over-hyped QB. 

1 minute ago, badrouter said:

But, when has DLS ever had a world-beater at QB

Almost never. I guess that wasn't my point though.

The DLS posters were hyping him as some type of passer that was going to "open up" the DLS playbook. They were hyping him during thr 7 on 7 stuff. I knew it was a ball of BS. Just needed last night to confirm. I get what you are saying though. They will stick to dives and screens. 

• Like 1

Just now, frankyjames said:

Almost never. I guess that wasn't my point though.

The DLS posters were hyping him as some type of passer that was going to "open up" the DLS playbook. They were hyping him during thr 7 on 7 stuff. I knew it was a ball of BS. Just needed last night to confirm. I get what you are saying though. They will stick to dives and screens. 

We've seen him play plenty before. There's a rather obvious ceiling with him. Now, I still expect him to look fantastic against most everyone else they play. He should be able to light up Folsom 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, frankyjames said:

VERY good point. And DLS has had the benefit of taking on two top tier national teams AT HOME week 0, the last 2 seasons. Not one DLS guy ever mentions that. 

Why would they?

DLS played STA once before — in Florida 

DLS has played Folsom thrice before , twice in Sac, and you’ll get to see them on the blue field in a few weeks

6 minutes ago, badrouter said:

He might be over-hyped. But, when has DLS ever had a world-beater at QB? He's about as good or better than their typical QBs. He's every bit as good (or better) for the DLS offense as Bart Houston was. Now THAT was an over-hyped QB. 

He started a season and won a bowl game with Wisconsin 

lot if more hyped guys don’t pan out nearly that well, especially with an engineering degree and an Eagle Scout badge 

8 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

I agree.... MD would beat STA like 28-7, STA would struggle to score against them with that type of play calling and their QB was OK but MD Defense a different beast then DLS....

I like what you said about the play calling, there were 2 pass plays that were perfect calls but Hale couldn’t deliver the ball, one was a sure TD.... But I too thought they should run more and when they had STA with everyone 6 yards from the LOS where was the pass over the top?... The middle of the field was wide open and they are instead running what seemed like overly complicated pass plays that didn’t work at all...

I really liked what I saw from DLS tonight.... DLS Doesnt play these games because they want to be National Champ, they are trying to figure out how to win a state championship in the new era of super teams... This game will go a long way toward that....

Will they beat MD or SJB, I highly doubt it, The defiantly have the speed to compete but are lacking the size on the line and at linebacker you need to beat those guys...

One thing is Forsure, DLS will certainly not be intimidated by any team they play after facing that monster of a team!!!... I love Central Catholic But my god, they are going to look like a Pop Warner team compared to STA!!!...🤣🤣🤣

Your right, those pass plays were set up perfectly for huge gains.  Hale just couldn't deliver tonight. He didn't appear ready for the moment. Practice can never duplicate the speed of a game, especially a defense like that

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Pops said:

Why would they?

DLS played STA once before — in Florida 

DLS has played Folsom thrice before , twice in Sac, and you’ll get to see them on the blue field in a few weeks

Because it is relevant. 

DLS played Folsom twice on a neutral field in Sac...not Folsom. Don't leave out key facts.

And yes- they do play in 2 weeks on the blue turf. 

3 minutes ago, frankyjames said:

Because it is relevant. 

DLS played Folsom twice on a neutral field in Sac...not Folsom. Don't leave out key facts.

And yes- they do play in 2 weeks on the blue turf. 

Why is it relevant?

what is “it” exactly? 

i said they played twice in sac and will play on blue field in a couple of weeks 

was I wrong?  

Its hard to follow your logic because you have none 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Of course Michael Irvin is on the ESPN set now... no wonder he wasn't being interviewed last night lol.    The ESPN crew was brutal.  The announcers were lost and uninformed.   I may be mistaken, but I don't even recall them showing the starting lineups.  

Coverage was DREADFUL. And I'm certain they held up the start of play out of break at least once to show some graphic about the ESPN 300. It was honestly quite disrespectful to the teams playing last night and to HS football.

1 minute ago, badrouter said:

Coverage was DREADFUL. And I'm certain they held up the start of play out of break at least once to show some graphic about the ESPN 300. It was honestly quite disrespectful to the teams playing last night and to HS football.

I agree. That coverage was one of the worst I've ever seen. 

12 minutes ago, Pops said:

He started a season and won a bowl game with Wisconsin 

lot if more hyped guys don’t pan out nearly that well, especially with an engineering degree and an Eagle Scout badge 

For one, he wasn't a great fit for the veer at DLS. Smaller, quicker guys who can run speed option are best. Traps, dives, counters on repeat and then a speed option mixed in is difficult. DLS was no better off with Houston then they were with a lot of other QBs who's names are not know by anyone here.

8 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Pretty on point for my take as well.  DLS will clean it up and put the hurt on our fav program in week 3 then roll everyone else.  I don't see them competing with MD or SJB in the SBG though.  Just not on the same Tier as MD and SJB.  Butter wanted to find out early, and he found out.

I don't think many believed this Dela team would be on same tier as MD . But has been mentioned, playing teams like STA will go along way in preparing them when possibly they get a chance to play SJB or MD.  I wouldn't under estimate this Dela team though. They could really develop into a very good team. We'll see

• Like 1

Just now, CaliNorth said:

I don't think many believed this Dela team would be on same tier as MD . But has been mentioned, playing teams like STA will go along way in preparing them when possibly they get a chance to play SJB or MD.  I wouldn't under estimate this Dela team though. They could really develop into a very good team. We'll see

They are a very good team, but they have a ceiling due to their inability to throw the ball.

It doesn't matter until they have to play the national big boys.  Then it just kills them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Agreed. Another huge test in 2 weeks on the blue turf.

4 minutes ago, badrouter said:

For one, he wasn't a great fit for the veer at DLS. Smaller, quicker guys who can run speed option are best. Traps, dives, counters on repeat and then a speed option mixed in is difficult. DLS was no better off with Houston then they were with a lot of other QBs who's names are not know by anyone here.

I agree he wasn’t a great fit for the veer and that DLS wasn’t better off with him than they can be with Hale 

You said he wasn’t good 

I suppose that’s relative but I think Bart has some bona fides (like Elite 11 designations and a career at Wisconsin) that says he was pretty good 

I think we’re mostly in agreement and quibbling over relativity and/ or semantics 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Sammy knows that even DLS teams that almost lose in EBAL are capable of getting up 48-0 before the beat socal team can get a first down

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sammyswordsman said:

They are a very good team, but they have a ceiling due to their inability to throw the ball.

It doesn't matter until they have to play the national big boys.  Then it just kills them.

But their passing will improve dramatically in my opinion. Hale is better than what he showed tonight. He was pressing and it kind of snow balled from there. The kid is a winner. Missing some of those easy screen passes was just not him. I've seen first game of season performances by very good players that were duds. I do think they will iron those things out on offense. It's the LB's that I think have a ceiling, at least for this season. They are young and inexperienced and it showed . But that is why Dela likes to challenge themselves with tough first games, to expose themselve to their weaknesses.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

But their passing will improve dramatically in my opinion. Hale is better than what he showed tonight. He was pressing and it kind of snow balled from there. The kid is a winner. Missing some of those easy screen passes was just not him. I've seen first game of season performances by very good players that were duds. I do think they will iron those things out on offense. It's the LB's that I think have a ceiling, at least for this season. They are young and inexperienced and it showed . But that is why Dela likes to challenge themselves with tough first games, to expose themselve to their weaknesses.

Its not so much Hale as it is the entire passing scheme....the 1-2 man WR routes, the lack of back shoulder teaching, etc.  DLS does not have the coaches for a prolific passing game.  They also don't care.

4 minutes ago, Pops said:

I agree he wasn’t a great fit for the veer and that DLS wasn’t better off with him than they can be with Hale 

You said he wasn’t good 

I suppose that’s relative but I think Bart has some bona fides (like Elite 11 designations and a career at Wisconsin) that says he was pretty good 

I think we’re mostly in agreement and quibbling over relativity and/ or semantics 

Sure. Didn't mean to say he wasn't good, just that he was over-hyped. 

• Thanks 1