Who Wins? DLS or STA? (A: STA)

181pl

Who Wins? DLS or STA?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins? DLS or STA?

• De La Salle
    • Saint Thomas Aquinas

1 minute ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Its not so much Hale as it is the entire passing scheme....the 1-2 man WR routes, the lack of back shoulder teaching, etc.  DLS does not have the coaches for a prolific passing game.  They also don't care.

The last sentence is a joke/troll. But, the rest is true. But, what you miss is that this entire approach is part of how they ever came to be what we know them to be. Doing a small number of things with maximum efficiency is simply a better approach in almost all situations than having a million things you know but can only execute with poor efficiency. There's only so much time in the day to practice. In 99% of cases (i.e. when you don't have phenomenal physical specimens), you have to choose between doing a small number of things really well or learning a large number of things and not being able to do many of them well. In HS football especially, the history of the game clearly favors executing a simpler game plan with maximum efficiency. That will win you ~95% of games. But, it may mean you lose the ~5% of the games you play against an STA, MD etc. But, if they tried to change things with beating those teams in mind, they may end up sacrificing the very qualities that got them to where they are in the first place.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, badrouter said:

The last sentence is a joke/troll. But, the rest is true. But, what you miss is that this entire approach is part of how they ever came to be what we know them to be. Doing a small number of things with maximum efficiency is simply a better approach in almost all situations than having a million things you know but can only execute with poor efficiency. There's only so much time in the day to practice. In 99% of cases (i.e. when you don't have phenomenal physical specimens), you have to choose between doing a small number of things really well or learning a large number of things and not being able to do many of them well. In HS football especially, the history of the game clearly favors executing a simpler game plan with maximum efficiency. That will win you ~95% of games. But, it may mean you lose the ~5% of the games you play against an STA, MD etc. But, if they tried to change things with beating those teams in mind, they may end up sacrificing the very qualities that got them to where they are in the first place.

Hence their ceiling.......

35 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Coverage was DREADFUL. And I'm certain they held up the start of play out of break at least once to show some graphic about the ESPN 300. It was honestly quite disrespectful to the teams playing last night and to HS football.

Agreed.  You expect the recruiting bs on ESPN, but the announcers just sucked.   

I gotta say though... #92 for STA held his own all game at DT.   You didn't see a  massive sized DT transfer from Nova with SEC offers, you saw a 5'9" grinder who doesn't have a 247 rating, but is committed to FIU.   

STA looked well conditioned... with all the jabs and hooks and kidney shots being thrown at them from the forum as expected (including from me last night at times lol), they looked solid in the 4th with conditioning... but once again had to show some undisciplined behavior, by attempting to gain an extra yard or two when you're up by 10, deep in DLS territory and made the first down and can just go down and setup victory formation.   That jump ball int late, what if DLS comes down with that grab and score?   I sure don't want to see an onside kick (anyone remember Bingham game or any STA game?). In the end, STA protected the ball pretty well with a first time soph varsity starter, who was playing Cardinal Gibbons freshman squad last September.   Turner had a muffed handoff (might have been the rb's fault, hard to tell watching live) but zero picks and 2 TD passes.  

19 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

But their passing will improve dramatically in my opinion. Hale is better than what he showed tonight. He was pressing and it kind of snow balled from there. The kid is a winner. Missing some of those easy screen passes was just not him. I've seen first game of season performances by very good players that were duds. I do think they will iron those things out on offense. It's the LB's that I think have a ceiling, at least for this season. They are young and inexperienced and it showed . But that is why Dela likes to challenge themselves with tough first games, to expose themselve to their weaknesses.

Does it really constitute improvement when an increase in production has a direct correlation to the decrease in competition?

47 minutes ago, BigBobT said:

Still shows as pending for me which makes no sense. You have Mallard Creek?

I took the under and forgot what it was.   I think I took the spread down on some multiple game bets though.  Mallard Creek surprised me... I knew they had the roster, but I thought DF would handle them pretty well.  

I threw some "Pleasers" out there for heckuva it... the odds are so tempting for such small bets.  

54 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Does it really constitute improvement when an increase in production has a direct correlation to the decrease in competition?

That was a really hot frying pan he jumped into last night for 1rst game of season. You can't  assimilate game time speed in  7 on 7 and practices. My history of watching Dela for roughly 30 yrs is that no matter if they have a great team, they always look pedestrian opening up,  no matter who they play against. It takes a few games before  they  get up to game time speed and conditioning. The qb and their implementation of a more passing game is still early in the development.  I have never seen Dela open up the playbook with the passing so early in the season ,  ever.  The qb  definitely  did not look settled and his mechanics were awful. To read so much into a first game, even for STA, is a little premature to say that is all they are and they won't get better. But I get you , along with a lot of haters of the program, don't realize this about them, or respect that fact . I wonder how many Ga. or for that matter, how many good teams in the country would have looked opening up against a defense like STA's. A lot of good qb's would probably have choked also.  I'm not saying Hale is an elite passer or anything like that, but he and DEla's offense will settle in and improve dramatically and become efficient, barring injuries, suspensions etc. Will they be a top 10 team at the end, most likely not. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaliNorth said:

That was a really hot frying pan he jumped into last night for 1rst game of season. You can't  assimilate game time speed in  7 on 7 and practices. My history of watching Dela for roughly 30 yrs is that no matter if they have a great team, they always look pedestrian opening up,  no matter who they play against. It takes a few games before  they  get up to game time speed and conditioning. The qb and their implementation of a more passing game is still early in the development.  I have never seen Dela open up the playbook with the passing so early in the season ,  ever.  The qb  definitely  did not look settled and his mechanics were awful. To read so much into a first game, even for STA, is a little premature to say that is all they are and they won't get better. But I get you , along with a lot of haters of the program, don't realize this about them, or respect that fact . I wonder how many Ga. or for that matter, how many good teams in the country would have looked opening up against a defense like STA's. A lot of good qb's would probably have choked also.  I'm not saying Hale is an elite passer or anything like that, but he and DEla's offense will settle in and improve dramatically and become efficient, barring injuries, suspensions etc. Will they be a top 10 team at the end, most likely not. 

DLS should’ve just scheduled a middle tier team  instead of STA as a scrimmage so the QB couldn’t be hit and can’t take a L. I hear that’s what other top schools around the country do now.  

• Haha 3

All of this has been said, but it's my .02.

1. As already expressed by everyone, it was a little sloppier than I expected. Early season jitters for both teams. DLS needs to work out some kinks in their somewhat revamped offense...most notably substitutions. That fumble at half was brutal. They'll be alright.

2. Refs were awful. That early PI was bogus...led to a score. The running into the flag on the sideline...led to a score. The "catch and fumble" led to a score to seal it. That said, DLS earned all of those drive-killing procedure penalties. And the refs were pretty awful for both teams.

3. STA's defense is one of the best in the country. No question. Definitely in the discussion for the biggest. Good God. Their young QB did what he had to do to win. He's going to be really good for STA down the road. The coaches need to have better play calling for sure.

4. Hale obviously had a rough night. But in his defense, that STA defense loaded with D1s along the line and in the secondary made it impossible for him to get into any kind of rhythm. Tall order for an QB in week 0. Plain and simple. From where we were sitting, because of our angle, you could see what Hale was dealing with...LARGE, long, athletic linemen with hands everywhere, and DBs that were like glue on the receivers. STA is just flat out good on defense. But Hale's going to have to be better. He will be I have no doubt. He was humbled for sure. He'll work harder now.

5. Garrett and Coby were stellar. They get Norfleet (5-11 201) back next week. His parents said that he tweeked a hammy running track. It'll be quite the backfield when he returns. The OL played as well as they could for week 0 against STA. They'll continue to get better (like all teams do).

6. The OL for STA, although huge, didn't have a great game against a much smaller DLS DL. But before we criticize STA's OL, let's give DLS's DL credit where credit is due. I said all along that that Tasi, Roe, Crespi, etc would be stout. But STA is going to have to be better with that advantage if the want to win Fla 7A.

7. DLS LBs are ...had a bad night. Never seen so many missed tackles. They'll have to be better. They've got Milton and Ngata coming up.

STA will go as far as their defense takes them. Probably all the way to a loss to Lakeland in the 7A final. DLS has some work to do. But I still predict that they'll be the north Open rep. There is no other team on their schedule that even comes close to STA...especially on the defensive side of the ball.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

2. Refs were awful. That early PI was bogus...led to a score. The running into the flag on the sideline...led to a score. The "catch and fumble" led to a score to seal it. That said, DLS earned all of those drive-killing procedure penalties. And the refs were pretty awful for both teams.

More and more excuses.

Funny when DLS wins, the same dudes call out excuse makers. Yet when DLS loses, the same posters immediately resort to excuses.

STA was better. Give them their due and move on. 

1 hour ago, CCBlackhatter said:

That's what they did for their other 9 opponents. What's one more game going to hurt?

I guess they should take colquitt's  cue and open up with an oos team like a vista murietta, squeak by with a win an say everything is ok .  Playing Folsom up there in a couple of weeks is no joke. I'd like to see a Ga. team schedule a Folsom . I bet you may be surprised. They have some elite athletes and a good system. Dela will play the best Norcal has to offer because they are limited

7 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

I guess they should take colquitt's  cue and open up with an oos team like a vista murietta, squeak by with a win an say everything is ok .  Playing Folsom up there in a couple of weeks is no joke. I'd like to see a Ga. team schedule a Folsom . I bet you may be surprised. They have some elite athletes and a good system. Dela will play the best Norcal has to offer because they are limited

Colquitt is playing a Folsom right now. Haha

Just now, frankyjames said:

Colquitt is a joke. They would never venture outside of the state of GA to play anyone worth half a shit. They would ONLY play "low risk" teams and ONLY at home.

That is why you are who you are. 

Colquitt has played more high risk games than Folsom.

That is an undisputable fact.

They also played a nationally ranked Hoover in Hoover. That's also something Folsom lacks on their resume.

2 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Colquitt has played more high risk games than Folsom.

That is an undisputable fact.

They also played a nationally ranked Hoover in Hoover. That's also something Folsom lacks on their resume.

Risk? LOL. Stop it.

Going to Alabama from GA is like going from NorCal to SoCal. No difference. 

Folsom took DLS on the road, week 0. Something Colquitt lacks on their resume. 😉