11:00PM: Category Five Dorian now threatens coastal areas from FL through NC

BigDrop

11:00AM:  From the National Hurricane Center:  Dorian is the   “strongest hurricane in modern records” which is bearing down on northwestern Bahamas with 185 mph sustained winds and a pressure of 911 mb. Wind gusts are 220 mph.

The hurricane at 11:00AM was 205 miles east of West Palm Beach and is expected to turn north but there may be hurricane force winds in part of the Florida Coast.  Currently these are forecast to stop 20 miles offshore but there is an “average track error of 70 miles 48 hours out.” There is a hurricane watch for much of the Atlantic Florida Coast. The National Weather Service has a “reasonable worst case scenario” of 75-110 mph winds for this area. Storm surge could be as high as seven feet.

They have now started evacuations for some areas.  www.floridadisaster.org is the state website to determine local evacuation routes.

For everyone on the Atlantic Coast from Florida to VIrginia please stay safe.  Also continuously monitor the news and this hurricane’s progress.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  @midnight, several states have announced evacuations of coastal areas.  Tune to your local newscasts or the Weather Chsnnel which is 24 hours live.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  there is a storm surge warning all the way to the FL/GA line.  

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

I might have to leave home I'm just waiting till daybreak to see what happens...

Savannahs track record with hurricanes is... 

Not great....

11:00 pm update is not encouraging on the Weather Channel which is going live 24 hours right now.  Tropical storm force winds should reach Savannah around daybreak on Weds.  The Cone extends 40-50 miles inland. The 11:00pm forecast projects 120 mph winds in the Savannah area on Weds. evening.   Serious:  go inland before roads become gridlocked.  Good luck!  

A state of emergency has now been declared in all of Fl and parts of GA, SC and NC.

9 hours ago, Cossacks said:

Stay safe

Yea... I left home at 4:30 AM... 

Tried to beat the traffic... I was successful

A friend of mine is stuck on I-95... 

Regardless I'm  in Duluth,GA right now.... 

And I want Some White Castle... 

Might go a little further to Kentucky... 

Yes I am That willing... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Yea... I left home at 4:30 AM... 

Tried to beat the traffic... I was successful

A friend of mine is stuck on I-95... 

Regardless I'm  in Duluth,GA right now.... 

And I want Some White Castle... 

Might go a little further to Kentucky... 

Yes I am That willing... 

In-n-Out Burger would be a worthy destination, too.  Closest is Dallas.

Stay safe.

Looks like Florida lucked out. Hope it stays well out to sea.

I did surf some fairly large waves Sunday.10 foot waves on the face. I'm finding out that I'm getting old, lol, took me 2 tries to make it outside and then I had to sit for 15 mins before even thinking about catching a wave. It was exhusting but worth it. Hope it sets up Wednesday for some nice clean waves. It's my fit for life sport.

https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/FLOATER/data/AL052019/GEOCOLOR/GOES16-AL052019-GEOCOLOR-1000x1000.gif

TwoPalms 9319.jpeg

• Like 4