Texas Guys.... Check this out

FootballGuy

Kahuku and St. John Bosco talk about potential home-and-home series

By Nick Abramo on September 19, 2019 | FEATURED, FOOTBALL
SPT-bosco-05.jpg
St. John Bosco quarterback DJ Uiagalelei (18) led the Braves during practice Thursday at Turtle Bay. Photo by Marco Garcia/Special to the Star-Advertiser.

St. John Bosco football coach Jason Negro was in the Turtle Bay Resort lobby on the way out to practice on the property Thursday when he was approached by Kahuku co-athletic director Wendy Anae.

“She said, ‘We’d love to play you in a two-year deal,’ ” Negro said.

They exchanged contact numbers and there could be more talks.

“That is certainly a possibility,” Negro said about playing against the Red Raiders in a two-game home-and-home series. “We would love to be able to play at their place. That’s what I’m excited about on Saturday night. We’re playing at Mililani, not the stadium. It’s going to mean a lot to their community to have our kids play on their campus.”

St. John Bosco’s Braves (No. 2 in the MaxPreps Xcellent 25) of Bellflower, Calif., came to Hawaii once before, a 63-14 victory over Saint Louis in 2014. They’re here preparing to play the Trojans, who are No. 2 in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser’s statewide poll.

“I would love to play in front of that crazy Red Raider nation,” Negro added. “We’re always looking for opportunities to challenge our student-athletes and there wouldn’t be anything bigger than to play them in their house.”

But Negro isn’t looking past Mililani in any fashion.

“Coach (Rod) York and his staff do a great job coaching,” he said. “They play really good defense and I’ve seen that they’re not giving up a whole lot. Their running back (Malosi Sam) is one of the top kids we’ve seen all year — his ability and how hard he runs.

“And we’re playing at Mililani. It’s not going to be easy. I heard the weather may be funky. And high school kids drive off of momentum. That’s the biggest scare for me. If the crowd is getting into it and they get some positive things going early in the game, it’s gonna be a game. They’re going to give us everything we can handle and we are not taking them lightly. We know we’re not coming over here with a huge advantage. We’re 4-0. They’re 6-0. It’s going to be a great game.”

Negro talked about the national perspective, which is more pronounced now than ever.

“I have a tremendous amount of respect for schools across the states who step up in competition and challenge their athletes. And nobody does it better than Hawaii. Maybe Utah is a close second and Vegas in third, maybe. What Hawaii does with Punahou and Kamehameha, Saint Louis, Kahuku, Mililani — those guys step up and play the competition from the mainland year in and year out. It says a whole lot not only about the culture as a whole, as a people, but also you’ve got to give the school administrations, the coaching staff, families and communities credit to make the sacrifices to make this happen. They want to be seen, and as a result Mililani is No. 22 and Saint Louis is in the Top 10. They’re doing something right here. We are very appreciative of the willingness to play us. It means a lot to me.”

Negro also called out to Texas, hoping to get the Lone Star state teams more interested in traveling and not just hosting out-of-state national powers.

“Texas is very interesting,” he said. “They seem to be leery of traveling. They blame the districts or blame this and that or that they have such big programs that they can’t travel. If you can build $60 million stadiums, you can travel your team in Austin to come and play in Bellflower. I don’t buy the excuses. They need to step up and travel like the rest of us if they want to be mentioned with the rest of the national programs. We’ve been to Cincinnati, New Jersey, DC, Florida, Hawaii twice and Utah. We’ve been all over the place.”

What do y'all think about this? @Horsefly @Texasball @Texasboys23 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

SPT-bosco-05.jpg
St. John Bosco quarterback DJ Uiagalelei (18) led the Braves during practice Thursday at Turtle Bay. Photo by Marco Garcia/Special to the Star-Advertiser.

St. John Bosco football coach Jason Negro was in the Turtle Bay Resort lobby on the way out to practice on the property Thursday when he was approached by Kahuku co-athletic director Wendy Anae.

“That is certainly a possibility,” Negro said about playing against the Red Raiders in a two-game home-and-home series. “We would love to be able to play at their place. That’s what I’m excited about on Saturday night. We’re playing at Mililani, not the stadium. It’s going to mean a lot to their community to have our kids play on their campus.”

St. John Bosco’s Braves (No. 2 in the MaxPreps Xcellent 25) of Bellflower, Calif., came to Hawaii once before, a 63-14 victory over Saint Louis in 2014. They’re here preparing to play the Trojans, who are No. 2 in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser’s statewide poll.

“I would love to play in front of that crazy Red Raider nation,” Negro added. “We’re always looking for opportunities to challenge our student-athletes and there wouldn’t be anything bigger than to play them in their house.”

“Coach (Rod) York and his staff do a great job coaching,” he said. “They play really good defense and I’ve seen that they’re not giving up a whole lot. Their running back (Malosi Sam) is one of the top kids we’ve seen all year — his ability and how hard he runs.

“And we’re playing at Mililani. It’s not going to be easy. I heard the weather may be funky. And high school kids drive off of momentum. That’s the biggest scare for me. If the crowd is getting into it and they get some positive things going early in the game, it’s gonna be a game. They’re going to give us everything we can handle and we are not taking them lightly. We know we’re not coming over here with a huge advantage. We’re 4-0. They’re 6-0. It’s going to be a great game.”

Negro talked about the national perspective, which is more pronounced now than ever.

“I have a tremendous amount of respect for schools across the states who step up in competition and challenge their athletes. And nobody does it better than Hawaii. Maybe Utah is a close second and Vegas in third, maybe. What Hawaii does with Punahou and Kamehameha, Saint Louis, Kahuku, Mililani — those guys step up and play the competition from the mainland year in and year out. It says a whole lot not only about the culture as a whole, as a people, but also you’ve got to give the school administrations, the coaching staff, families and communities credit to make the sacrifices to make this happen. They want to be seen, and as a result Mililani is No. 22 and Saint Louis is in the Top 10. They’re doing something right here. We are very appreciative of the willingness to play us. It means a lot to me.”

Negro also called out to Texas, hoping to get the Lone Star state teams more interested in traveling and not just hosting out-of-state national powers.

“Texas is very interesting,” he said. “They seem to be leery of traveling. They blame the districts or blame this and that or that they have such big programs that they can’t travel. If you can build $60 million stadiums, you can travel your team in Austin to come and play in Bellflower. I don’t buy the excuses. They need to step up and travel like the rest of us if they want to be mentioned with the rest of the national programs. We’ve been to Cincinnati, New Jersey, DC, Florida, Hawaii twice and Utah. We’ve been all over the place.”

Like many he talks about spending $$ on stadiums and links it to traveling budgets and they couldn’t be farther disconnected in who and how they are paid. This type of ignorance is what makes me give these guys the middle finger. 

Just say you’d like to play Texas, no need to talk about bs you don’t have a clue about. 

Just my .02 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

SPT-bosco-05.jpg

I don’t have problem with his opinions ( opinions are like assholes everybody has one)

His thoughts are not necessarily facts.

The administrators at Texas schools have never considered themselves national teams.  

The money to build stadiums vs money to travel come from two different sources that are not connected to each other.  

• Like 1

Let's see stadiums are built with bond money and travelling budgets would come from the districts general fund apples to oranges and once again texas teams could care less about what the other teams in the nation think it doesn't stop the college coaches from coming to our schools. How about texas gets an all star team together and play teams against the nation because that's all bosco and mater dai are at the end of the day, recruited all star teams

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, Horsefly said:

Like many he talks about spending $$ on stadiums and links it to traveling budgets and they couldn’t be farther disconnected in who and how they are paid. This type of ignorance is what makes me give these guys the middle finger. 

Just say you’d like to play Texas, no need to talk about bs you don’t have a clue about. 

Just my .02 

I agree. My thing is this: if playing Texas teams is on your (these private schools) agenda and you already know what you're getting yourself into, stop complaining about them (texas teams) not traveling, hop your rich asses on that plane and go play them in their back yard. If not, just shut the hell up and gone about your business...lol. Beggars can't be choosers. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, HawgGoneIt said:

Negro sounds just like a few guys on this site. He could actually be one of them. 

They all wear the same kinda shoes...

Professional-Clown-Shoes-Circus-Theater-Supplies-New.jpg.6c4ae5a7db4339f174471bcdbd3dbbce.jpg

Here’s my thing.  Some of these coaches and fans acts as though HSFB operates under a single authority, competing for a single championship. In the NCAA all energies are in support of the college  playoffs, bowl games and payouts. 

HS is all over the place with different states, districts having different priorities, etc.  not everyone is on the same page and never will be.  

3 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Here’s my thing.  Some of these coaches and fans acts as though HSFB operates under a single authority, competing for a single championship. In the NCAA all energies are in support of the college  playoffs, bowl games and payouts. 

HS is all over the place with different states, districts having different priorities, etc.  not everyone is on the same page and never will be.  

Not everyone operates with nearly the same loose rules and interpretations either. 

That guy knows that. This is why his weird calling out  of Texas or any public school is foolish. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

Texas is very interesting,” he said. “They seem to be leery of traveling. They blame the districts or blame this and that or that

2 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

They need to step up and travel like the rest of us if they want to be mentioned with the rest of the national programs.

Seems like he’s right from all the excuse making in this thread

487E00AB-8087-4901-9C09-9A86C6BD42EC.gif

• Haha 5

20 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

It's kind of sad really. They've made such a mockery of their competition and their state "championship", bowl or whatever it is, that they have nothing really to compete for except to have "experts" declare them National Champion. 

Seriously. It's kind of sad watching their silly production they put on. Calling out states and/or certain schools. Having their "agents" function as match-maker and then fudge the truth or drop inside info on which teams talked to which team and then create some made up or embellished story about why one team didn't sign on for a game. 

It's beyond ridiculous at this point honestly. 

The out of state games are fun and all. I actually love them, but this weird next level production that's being put on for something that is made up... 

giphy.gif.baaa52b8007bb5285d3c4a98f541bc41.gif

• Like 2

Don’t blame others for having bigger dreams and goals than you.Nothing gets changed unless someone/somebody works to change it.You say a HSNC can never happen but I’m old enough to remember when the same was said about the NCAA.If you don’t want to be a part of it just tap out and quit complaining 

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ararar said:

Don’t blame others for having bigger dreams and goals than you.Nothing gets changed unless someone/somebody works to change it.You say a HSNC can never happen but I’m old enough to remember when the same was said about the NCAA.If you don’t want to be a part of it just tap out and quit complaining 

I'm certainly not complaining that the guy is doing the dance with the big red shoes on. 

I'm pointing out how sad it is to see. 

Just my opinion. I'm allowed to have an opinion I'd mostly imagine. 

Want to silence me, have the clowns wipe their make up off and put regular shoes back on. 

5 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I'm certainly not complaining that the guy is doing the dance with the big red shoes on. 

I'm pointing out how sad it is to see. 

Just my opinion. I'm allowed to have an opinion I'd mostly imagine. 

Want to silence me, have the clowns wipe their make up off and put regular shoes back on. 

You’re small minded 🤷🏽‍♂️

So others who have higher aspirations are clowns 🤡 

I get it

• Haha 1

If you want a real national championship, the first thing to do is make a uniform governing body that has the money and teeth to enforce their rules. 

That has to be first. 

Calling out schools and states like this guy is doing isn't the same as lobbying for a uniform governing body. 

It's a clown show. It's a production. 

4 minutes ago, Ararar said:

You have different dreams not necessarily bigger.  The only ones talking are you guys and negro.  Not once have I read a TXHSFB coach talk about MNC and other programs in other states. 

Tap out of what?  Do you really want to compare what these Texas football programs make in a year compared to your teams?  That’s the whole reason you all are wanting to be here to tap into the financial windfalls 

there is only one authority for TXHSFB and that’s the UIL, there will never be another larger overarching one to supplant them.  You really have no clue who runs them and the influence they have 

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

If you want a real national championship, the first thing to do is make a uniform governing body that has the money and teeth to enforce their rules. 

That has to be first. 

Calling out schools and states like this guy is doing isn't the same as lobbying for a uniform governing body. 

It's a clown show. It's a production. 

You’re not going to get such without forcing it.This is obviously the babe in diapers period of such a movement 

2 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

You have different dreams not necessarily bigger.  The only ones talking are you guys and negro.  Not once have I read a TXHSFB coach talk about MNC and other programs in other states. 

Tap out of what?  Do you really want to compare what these Texas football programs make in a year compared to your teams?  That’s the whole reason you all are wanting to be here to tap into the financial windfalls 

there is only one authority for TXHSFB and that’s the UIL, there will never be another larger overarching one to supplant them.  You really have no clue who runs them and the influence they have 

National trumps regional not even a debate.

if a HSNC ever comes to fruition Texas dollars will become scraps to the money generated by the networks and you know this.

I'd think that calling my peers and politicking them to sign on to a petition to form and NCAA or some takeover of the leadership of the NFHS or something would be the best way to move. 

Not putting on a production. Some "look at me while I dance on the table drunkenly" thing. Lol

It's a babe in diapers alright. I think they're full of something already too. 

5 minutes ago, Ararar said:

You’re not going to get such without forcing it.This is obviously the babe in diapers period of such a movement 

He’s not forcing anything but making himself look silly.  

If you want to create an alliance then engage on a professional/personal manner and actually, I dunno make allies, friends  

• Like 1