Despite having a rich history, why do you think Long Beach Poly never won a National Title in H.S. Football?

Duckburghsfinest1987

it definetley raises eyebrows, it's shocking, especially for a program that has sent more players to the NFL than any other High School in the country, and they have won the most CIF section titles in the Southern Section in California, that is definetley an asterisk on their program. Did LB Poly just lose at the wrong time when they had their best teams?

I remember reading somewhere that: 

"I think there may be two reasons. One is that Long Beach Poly had their best teams at the same time De La Salle was unbeatable and winning national championships annually. The second is that, much like college football, the West Coast probably didn't get the respect it deserved until the DLS winning streak."

Also, something hit my mind recently, when Poly beat Mater Dei in the 1997 D-1 Finals at the Coliseum, correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't MD ranked number 1 in the Nation at the time heading into the 1997 CIF Division-1 Finals, then Poly beat them 28-25, since Poly won that game, shouldn't have Poly been ranked number 1 in the Nation at the end of the season?

Anyway, it's ashame what has become of LB Poly now, hopefully they can return someday to becoming a National Powerhouse again, and this time, finally win their first National Title, and first state title in over a Century.

• Like 1

I think it's a little bit of everything you mentioned. Some of their best teams facing DLS who at that time was one of best teams in the country. Although DLS and Mater Dei did get national recognition in polls most West Coast teams did not. I would also say that when coach Jaso left and Lara took over they were not as good as they could have been. The Jackrabbits were filled with a lot of talent  back then. I agree it would be nice to see them get back on top and gve some of those So. Ca. privates a game.  

1 hour ago, 1DayPGA said:

I think it's a little bit of everything you mentioned. Some of their best teams facing DLS who at that time was one of best teams in the country. Although DLS and Mater Dei did get national recognition in polls most West Coast teams did not. I would also say that when coach Jaso left and Lara took over they were not as good as they could have been. The Jackrabbits were filled with a lot of talent  back then. I agree it would be nice to see them get back on top and gve some of those So. Ca. privates a game.  

Long Beach Poly is an "Athletic Magnet School" so it's gets to go out and get some of the cream of the cream athletes in the SoCal area.

The problem is over the past 5-6 years..   Because the CIF has laid down and put the White Flag up.  Teams like Mater Dei and SJB have upped their game in regards to getting many of those same SoCal kids.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Texasfrog said:

Long Beach Poly is an "Athletic Magnet School" so it's gets to go out and get some of the cream of the cream athletes in the SoCal area.

The problem is over the past 5-6 years..   Because the CIF has laid down and put the White Flag up.  Teams like Mater Dei and SJB have upped their game in regards to getting many of those same SoCal kids.

Wrong as usual 

LBUSD changed the transfer rules and school boundaries to purposely bring LBP down because other LB area schools couldn’t compete.Kids who actually live across the street cannot attend LBP because of these changes 

the beneficiary of these changes has been SJB and Narbonne 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

Lara's teams under-performed too.

They should have won CIF every year with the talent they had. I played them 2 years in HS at the varsity level and once as a freshman in the 90s. We went 3-0 vs LBP. Then I coached against them later. The key to beating them is rattle their guys, talk trash and hit them in the mouth. They will roll over and quit. That's their MO. 

7 hours ago, 1DayPGA said:

ya it's definetley an asterisk on their football program, I think it's best to label LB Poly, the best H.S. Football program to not have won a National Title, also, when the State Title game was reinstated in California after many decades absence in 2006, Poly went 0-2 in the State Title game, in the 2008 and 2012 seasons, but those Poly teams were nowhere as good as the Poly teams of the late 90's and early 2000's, losing by very close margins, if the State Title game had been reinstalled earlier, LB Poly would more than likely have a few state titles on their resume, last time they won State in Football was a 100 years ago, in 1919.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

ya it's definetley an asterisk on their football program, I think it's best to label LB Poly, the best H.S. Football program to not have won a National Title, also, when the State Title game was reinstated in California after many decades absence in 2006, Poly went 0-2 in the State Title game, in the 2008 and 2012 seasons, but those Poly teams were nowhere as good as the Poly teams of the late 90's and early 2000's, losing by very close margins, if the State Title game had been reinstalled earlier, LB Poly would more than likely have a few state titles on their resume, last time they won State in Football was a 100 years ago, in 1919.

Remember that their two title losses were to teams from Folsom’s league 

So let’s not just assume their earlier teams would have rolled, say, DLS later 

ya, it makes me wonder why for many decades, California did not have a State Title game until it was reinstated in 2006, sounds like LB Poly was just at it's peak dominance, best, at the wrong time. Also, even though they have sent more players to the NFL than any other H.S. in the Nation, I don't think they have a player that is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame right?

9 hours ago, Ararar said:

Wrong as usual 

LBUSD changed the transfer rules and school boundaries to purposely bring LBP down because other LB area schools couldn’t compete.Kids who actually live across the street cannot attend LBP because of these changes 

the beneficiary of these changes has been SJB and Narbonne 

LMFAO.... you mean the Narbonne team that just got ruled eligible by the CIF and had to forfeit all games this year and next?  That Narbonne?   Again, LMFAO

Also.. LBP is an "Athletic Magnet Program" and they used to own SoCal for probably close to 20 years.  But they ain't getting those crops of recruits like they used to in the Long Beach and other areas around SoCal because kids have other options now..  

I'm laughing my ass-off because you want to try to spin-it that Private Schools like Mater Dei haven't benefited from some Long Beach area blue-chip prospects over the past few years that would of gone to LBP.

Ha-ha-ha-ha..

Here..  Go Google Map the Center of Long Beach City to the campus of Mater Dei HS.  It's a 35 minute drive.     Thanks!!   Now go clean the stupid off your face.

Mater Dei QB- Bryce Young transferred from Cathedral High School.... 35.7 miles away 

Long Beach Poly from Mater Dei High School...... 23 miles.

But hey... No Football Blue-Chip athletes from the Long Beach area of SoCal have transferred to Mater Dei or even attended Mater Dei over the past 5-6 years.   🤪

This is what you Mater Dei clowns sound like with your complete stupidity... "Blah blah blah blah blah..YOU KNOW..blah blah blah blah blah.. it's not true... blah blah blah blah blah.. You know.. You know."

19 minutes ago, Texasfrog said:

LMFAO.... you mean the Narbonne team that just got ruled eligible by the CIF and had to forfeit all games this year and next?  That Narbonne?   Again, LMFAO

Also.. LBP is an "Athletic Magnet Program" and they used to own SoCal for probably close to 20 years.  But they ain't getting those crops of recruits like they used to in the Long Beach and other areas around SoCal because kids have other options now..  

I'm laughing my ass-off because you want to try to spin-it that Private Schools like Mater Dei haven't benefited from some Long Beach area blue-chip prospects over the past few years that would of gone to LBP.

Ha-ha-ha-ha..

Here..  Go Google Map the Center of Long Beach City to the campus of Mater Dei HS.  It's a 35 minute drive.     Thanks!!   Now go clean the stupid off your face.

2 minutes ago, Texasfrog said:

Mater Dei QB- Bryce Young transferred from Cathedral High School.... 35.7 miles away 

But hey... No Football Blue-Chip athletes from the Long Beach area of SoCal have transferred to Mater Dei or even attended Mater Dei over the past 5-6 years.   🤪

This is what you Mater Dei clowns sound like with your complete stupidity... "Blah blah blah blah blah..YOU KNOW..blah blah blah blah blah.. it's not true... blah blah blah blah blah.. You know.. You know."

But SJB and Narbonne are both much closer to the city of long Beach... 

Bellflower and Harbor City are much closer than Santa Ana it would make more sense that kids are going to 2 strong programs that are up the road than across the metro area. 

Not to say MD has no LB students or athletes but I seriously doubt it's enough to even warrant this rant.... 

5 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

But SJB and Narbonne are both much closer to the city of long Beach... 

Bellflower and Harbor City are much closer than Santa Ana it would make more sense that kids are going to 2 strong programs that are up the road than across the metro area. 

Not to say MD has no LB students or athletes but I seriously doubt it's enough to even warrant this rant.... 

Don’t try to educate Kermit 

he is unreachable 😂

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Texasfrog said:

Ha-ha-ha-ha..

Your ignorance is showing again 

😂

now tell us how far SJB and Narbonne are from Long Beach....what a moron 😂

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

Kids from the Long Beach area have always been going to MD. It’s just not the last 5-6 years. The more recent success of MD and Bosco is not the main reason for decline in the Poly program. You can thank the LBUSD for that when changed where students were allowed enroll. 

That and Lara getting the boot.... 

Killed em.... 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Texasfrog said:

Have you ever been to Long Beach?  Specifically, to the neighborhood where LB Poly is located?  No kid that can go to Mater Dei is going to LB Poly.