History lessons... Lowndes and Marietta

BUFORDGAWOLVES

Lowndes needs to be ready for the scripted drive. Marietta has been scoring waaaay too quickly on opening drives throughout the playoffs. 3-5 plays and they’re up 7-0 before you blink. Too easy. Vikings need to get off the field to open the game. Going to take the defense a little bit to adjust to their offensive talent and scheme. I believe the same can be said for Marietta’s defense. Lowndes runs such a unique offense. Marietta is going to key on that QB all week in practice. I expect a unique script and some easy throws to open it up for Brown. I think the first drive by both teams will tell a lot 

• Thanks 1

Both are really good...However, I am really high on this Lowndes team.  I believe they could potentially beat anyone in the country.

Side note -  this may be old news.

My coaching buddy in GA told me today that Buford will be forced to play 6A next year due to rule change.  Goes something like this. Transfers from outside of the city of Buford count twice on the enrollment numbers.  

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Both are really good...However, I am really high on this Lowndes team.  I believe they could potentially beat anyone in the country.

Side note -  this may be old news.

My coaching buddy in GA told me today that Buford will be forced to play 6A next year due to rule change.  Goes something like this. Transfers from outside of the city of Buford count twice on the enrollment numbers.  

Buford has been getting away with the OOD transfers for years.  The GHSA finally decided to clamp down.  As an aside...Lowndes losing No.2 really hurt them...but it didn't kill their chances of winning the AAAAAAA State Championship.

Rufus>>

6 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Saw where the Buford Girls Basketball team is loaded again this year. As of this week Maxpreps computer has Hoover 6th and Buford 14th. Saw where Buford beat Holy Innocents. We play Holy Innocents, Norcross and Forest Park in the big south tournament in Atlanta along with 50 plus teams.  We are young but have freshman pg who is already a 5 star by several services.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Saw where the Buford Girls Basketball team is loaded again this year. As of this week Maxpreps computer has Hoover 6th and Buford 14th. Saw where Buford beat Holy Innocents. We play Holy Innocents, Norcross and Forest Park in the big south tournament in Atlanta along with 50 plus teams.  We are young but have freshman pg who is already a 5 star by several services.  

https://www.gwinnettprepsports.com/sports/prep-roundup-huge-rally-gives-buford-girls-win-over-holy/article_7920f8a5-e76c-57ab-908e-7bf64ce3d989.html

Durden lost his ever loving mind for about 2-3 years then got the program back on track.

Damn near fractured the community, thankfully back to core values now.

BGW

5 hours ago, ATLien12x said:

Lowndes needs to be ready for the scripted drive. Marietta has been scoring waaaay too quickly on opening drives throughout the playoffs. 3-5 plays and they’re up 7-0 before you blink. Too easy. Vikings need to get off the field to open the game. Going to take the defense a little bit to adjust to their offensive talent and scheme. I believe the same can be said for Marietta’s defense. Lowndes runs such a unique offense. Marietta is going to key on that QB all week in practice. I expect a unique script and some easy throws to open it up for Brown. I think the first drive by both teams will tell a lot 

I think Lowndes weathered Colquitt through a bit of a scare early, and I figure a similar type outcome with Marietta. 

I do also understand that saying they weathered Colquitt may not appear to mean a lot after seeing Colquitt fade to Parkview, but, they were a different team vs. Lowndes imo. 

Just for that reason, I figure Lowndes to take the game. The wildcard is Gilbert. He is practically impossible to totally shut down, so, he would be where I concentrate as a fan. If he has a huge game it could be trouble. Of course, Bailey would need time to find him as well. 

I expect Lowndes to be ready and to win, in spite of missing their big linebacker/rb. 

2 minutes ago, RedZone said:

LSU has 2 commits from Marietta.

5* TE/WR Arik Gilbert

https://247sports.com/player/arik-gilbert-94709/

4* DE BJ Ojulari

https://247sports.com/player/bj-ojulari-46040436/

Looking forward to watching this game.

Marietta probably has Lowndes out D1ed 3/1.....sometimes that means something, sometimes not so much.

They definitely have Lowndes out talented heavily. This Lowndes is much like the 2014 Colquitt team. A lot of try hards. Young in some places. Most of the kids will have opportunity to play college ball somewhere... albeit not D1 schools. 

Lowndes is going to play hard nosed, bruising type football that I don't think Marietta has come close to seeing across the field from them yet this year. 

7 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Lowndes is going to play hard nosed, bruising type football that I don't think Marietta has come close to seeing across the field from them yet this year. 

I can believe that.

That Arik Gilbert for Marietta is the real deal though. Watched him twice this year and he's a game changer. One of the best players I've seen this year truthfully.

If I was Marietta I'd throw it to him 20 times or more. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, RedZone said:

I can believe that.

That Arik Gilbert for Marietta is the real deal though. Watched him twice this year and he's a game changer. One of the best players I've seen this year truthfully.

If I was Marietta I'd throw it to him 20 times or more. 

Ojulari is an absolute freak. Thought Tennessee was getting a highly underrated player in him before the flip. Younger brother of a starter at UGA. He had an outstanding game against St Joseph Prep in the season opener and caught my eye. He stands out every week as their best front seven guy. Explosive athlete

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Seriously tho... how is lowndes gonna stop marietta's receiving core with that weak secondary?  

What makes you think their secondary is so bad? They’ve only allowed 20+ points in three of their 13 games. If they were horrific that number would be much higher. They're definitely not the strength and they play off receivers at times to keep from getting burnt deep, but their strategy has worked all season. They’ve seen film on Marietta. McPherson has been around a very long time. I’m sure his guys will be up to the challenge. 

Bailey will get passing yards by sheer volume of attempts alone. But I believe their pass rush and secondary will force some incompletions. Completion % will be more indicative of a win than yards to me on Saturday

35 minutes ago, ATLien12x said:

What makes you think their secondary is so bad? They’ve only allowed 20+ points in three of their 13 games. If they were horrific that number would be much higher. They're definitely not the strength and they play off receivers at times to keep from getting burnt deep, but their strategy has worked all season. They’ve seen film on Marietta. McPherson has been around a very long time. I’m sure his guys will be up to the challenge. 

Bailey will get passing yards by sheer volume of attempts alone. But I believe their pass rush and secondary will force some incompletions. Completion % will be more indicative of a win than yards to me on Saturday

Josh Downs, who's only about 5'10 got busy on their entire secondary. One guy. Marietta has Taji, Ricky and Arik. The front seven has definitely masked Lowndes' weakness, but I feel like it's gonna be a different story come Saturday night (And I hope I'm wrong). I feel like Lowndes' secondary has always been their weakness. I hope the injury to Gary Osby and number 3 for lowndes doesn't come back to haunt them. 

Josh Downs is better than every skill player on Marietta’s team not named Arik Gilbert. He’s an elite receiver and has been since he was a kid. He’s ranked ahead of Taji, Ricky, Bailey, and the bunch. That said Marietta may be able to move the ball at will, I honestly don’t know. Collectively with Vidal and their OL, they’ve been getting the job done every week. They’re definitely the best offense in the state with the best QB, but we’ll soon find out if they’re the best team

According to AJC, they think Osby will play

• Like 1

Marietta vs. Lowndes
When, where: 8 p.m. Saturday, Georgia State Stadium, Atlanta
Records, rankings: Marietta is 12-2, the No. 2 seed from Region 3-AAAAAAA and No. 6; Lowndes is 14-0, the No. 1 seed from 1- ImageAAAAAAA and No. 1.
Last meeting: Marietta won 30-27 in the first round of the 2012 Class AAAAAA playoffs.
Things to know: Marietta was the preseason No. 1 team and made the top 10 of several national polls. Lowndes is the current No. 1 and now ranked high nationally, peaking at No. 3 by PrepNation. Marietta has six of Georgia's top 100 senior prospects but no state title appearances since its 1967 Class AAA championship. Lowndes has no top-100 players but five state titles since 1980, the most of any current Class AAAAAAA school. Add the north-south thing - Marietta is metro Atlanta's oldest football program, Lowndes the flag bearer for storied Region 1 - and this game is full of intrigue. Marietta has won seven straight games, four against top-10 teams, since losing to McEachern in October. Only one team this century, Peachtree Ridge in 2006, has won a state title in the highest class after losing a game that late. The Blue Devils' list of blue chips include QB Harrison Bailey (4,000 yards passing, committed to Tennessee), WR Arik Gilbert (1,614 yards receiving, LSU), WR Ricky White (1,246 receiving, Michigan State), RB Kimani Vidal (1,511 rushing, Troy), DE B.J. Ojulari (LSU) and DB Rashad Torrence (Florida). Lowndes' offense is built around sophomore QB Jacurri Brown, who has rushed for 1,508 yards and passed for 1,253 yards. Lowndes allowed more than 21 points for the first time last week in a 49-28 victory over North Gwinnett. Marietta has allowed 21 or more six times. Marietta and Lowndes have four common opponents. Lowndes beat Grayson 28-20 in the quarterfinals. Grayson beat Marietta 28-14 on Sept. 13. They're both 3-0 against the others.
Maxwell Ratings' projection: Lowndes by 14

Interesting to note in the four common opponents between the two, Lowndes outperformed Marietta in all four games 

Lowndes def Grayson 28-20
Grayson def Marietta 28-14 

Lowndes def Parkview 38-7
Marietta def Parkview 42-31 

Lowndes def Hillgrove 38-8 
Marietta def Hillgrove 38-17 

Lowndes def Camden 45-13 
Marietta def Camden 41-13 

15 hours ago, Rufus69 said:

Lowndes sucks.

Marietta sucks worse.

Lowndes should win.

Rufus>>

Hate and 1800 are a wonderful combination when in fact your team sucks way more. But hey Colquitt is on the right track. Look forward to nexts years game at the shitpen. Here’s to ya Rufus lift one for the Vikings as ya eat your fancy dinner and pretend your not interested in the score. Lol

2 hours ago, ATLien12x said:

Interesting to note in the four common opponents between the two, Lowndes outperformed Marietta in all four games 

Lowndes def Grayson 28-20
Grayson def Marietta 28-14 

Lowndes def Parkview 38-7
Marietta def Parkview 42-31 

Lowndes def Hillgrove 38-8 
Marietta def Hillgrove 38-17 

Lowndes def Camden 45-13 
Marietta def Camden 41-13 

Comparable Scores. Game will come down to turnovers.