The disturbing rise of "academies"

badrouter

3 hours ago, Pops said:

Our discussion was about whether they’d always have elite QBs

I use the term “academy” too broadly in talking about (ie) MD, SJB, and SF, but as have explained, it’s sort of an abbreviation for “those schools willing and able to have A hsfb roster 2-deep with P5 recruits” — I understand the distinction between “academies” and academies 

Having an elite QB is different than MD and SJB having like 2 of the top 3 in the nation.  That won't always be the case.    Sure they will always have a pretty good QB, but not like these last two years.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 954gator said:

Having an elite QB is different than MD and SJB having like 2 of the top 3 in the nation.  That won't always be the case.    Sure they will always have a pretty good QB, but not like these last two years.  

Pops is an absolutely terrible evaluator.

Mater Dei was largely irrelevant for 15 years. They have one 4-year run of elite teams and he all of the sudden thinks that they will always have elite QBs, always be elite and there's nothing that can be done about it.

• Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, The Guru said:

Pops is an absolutely terrible evaluator.

Mater Dei was largely irrelevant for 15 years. They have one 4-year run of elite teams and he all of the sudden thinks that they will always have elite QBs, always be elite and there's nothing that can be done about it.

Mater Dei has more P5 recruits on their current 2nd string than they did in aggregate from the whole roster of all of those 15 years 

you don’t have to be much of an evaluator to see that 

“Nothing to see here“ say the academies 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pops said:

Mater Dei has more P5 recruits on their current 2nd string than they did in aggregate from the whole roster of all of those 15 years 

you don’t have to be much of an evaluator to see that 

But you do have to be a decent evaluator to understand the context.

They had P5 quarterbacks the whole time. They had a Hall-of-Fame coach the whole time.

They won exactly squat until 2017.

Even then they've only won championships in two of the last four years.

• Thumbs Down 1

45 minutes ago, The Guru said:

But you do have to be a decent evaluator to understand the context.

They had P5 quarterbacks the whole time. They had a Hall-of-Fame coach the whole time.

They won exactly squat until 2017.

Even then they've only won championships in two of the last four years.

What is your point?

Mine was that MD and SJB ought to be expected to have good QBs going forward 

Just now, Pops said:

What is your point?

You're like a child who sees a shiny object and then claims that it's the greatest ever and it will be shiny forever and ever and ever!

Mater Dei went 17 years between Section Championships.

And they had Matt Leinart, Matt Barkley, Max Wittek, etc.

And the Stache.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just now, The Guru said:

You're like a child who sees a shiny object and then claims that it's the greatest ever and it will be shiny forever and ever and ever!

And the Stache.

They didn't do anything out of the ordinary for a good program until the transfer doors were blown open! 

26 minutes ago, The Guru said:

And the Stache.

Argue with @954gator then — I’m agreeing with you that they’ll have great QBs going forward 

and that their teams for 15 years weren’t very good 

42 minutes ago, SeaShells21 said:

What was that.....?

Huh?  Not sure what you are getting at.  I could be wrong but didn't MD smoke IMG?  I did not see coaches in Cali taking out full page ads trying to runaway from them too.  But, that's just me.  I have ZERO doubt many of the top teams in Cali would take them on.  And to even go further, the rule (which I do not agree with) to not play academy schools was geared more towards basketball.  IMG just happen to be collateral damage.  But, hey carry on with your bad self homie.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Huh?  Not sure what you are getting at.  I could be wrong but didn't MD smoke IMG?  I did not see coaches in Cali taking out full page ads trying to runaway from them too.  But, that's just me.  I have ZERO doubt many of the top teams in Cali would take them on.  And to even go further, the rule (which I do not agree with) to not play academy schools was geared more towards basketball.  IMG just happen to be collateral damage.  But, hey carry on with your bad self homie.  

Basketball ?......sure.

https://www.calhisports.com/2016/03/04/should-cif-ban-games-vs-img/

https://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/la-sp-high-schools-sondheimer-20180412-story.html

If 28 - 24 is smoking IMG, I’m shocked 😱 De La Salle is brave enough to venture back into Texas to actually face a defending state champion after they were “smoked”; better yet blown out by 5 points to a team of Tongans that couldn’t get past Something Something Prairie Dogs in the 1st round.

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...