Saltwater Fishing Social Distancing Edition

HawgGoneIt

1 minute ago, Troll said:

Not when you know how to use a filet knife...🔪

giphy.gif

Just sayin'  😝

I've never been able to get the meat out from between the bones in a filet. Those bigger fish sometimes have a half to three quarter inch spine. Makes for some tender morsels to gnaw out. 

Waste not want not. 

• Like 2

On 3/28/2020 at 11:57 AM, DBP66 said:

..sea trout??..I think they have another name?...don't get those guys up here in the north...I've been looking at my lake the last few days and today when I want to break out the pole it's raining!..figures....Good luck!!...wish I was you today!

My best days fishing were in the rain, put on rain gear and go kill it.....

BGW

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

My best days fishing were in the rain, put on rain gear and go kill it.....

BGW

I hear you...I know all about cloudy days and low barometric pressure but up here it's still a little cold on the lakes. The other day it was 50 degrees and a slight rain...too cold for me now! I too have had my best days on overcast skies. I use to fish in tournaments and got stuck out there for 8hrs. in some shitty conditions....you got to really love fishing to stick out the conditions some times. Tomorrow is the first day of trout season in N.Y...I'm looking to get out tomorrow afternoon and murder some fish!....;)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, thc6795 said:

Could never get into boat or lake fishing. I grew up on rivers and creeks. Give me a fly rod any day. 

My normal mode of fishing is creeks, rivers and ponds. I'm surrounded by those, so, naturally, I'd rather go somewhere an hour or more away. 

I hit these streams around me with a little micro spin rod and reel, some 4 lb. test line and a beetle spin or Betts spin lure. Hard to beat the fun of stomping.back down the muddy banks of the Warrior Creek down into the deep woods and reeling in hand sized red bellies or warmouth, imo. 

Places that look like this...

20170326_141129.thumb.jpg.77c6684b5643b4f489834b4e1642b347.jpg

The Little River train trestle at Reed Bingham.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

My normal mode of fishing is creeks, rivers and ponds. I'm surrounded by those, so, naturally, I'd rather go somewhere an hour or more away. 

I hit these streams around me with a little micro spin rod and reel, some 4 lb. test line and a beetle spin or Betts spin lure. Hard to beat the fun of stomping.back down the muddy banks of the Warrior Creek down into the deep woods and reeling in hand sized red bellies or warmouth, imo. 

Places that look like this...

20170326_141129.thumb.jpg.77c6684b5643b4f489834b4e1642b347.jpg

The Little River train trestle at Reed Bingham.

Any Trout or Browns in your area. Have you ever fly fished?

2 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

Any Trout or Browns in your area. Have you ever fly fished?

The weather is too hot down here for the freshwater trout to flourish. They've tried introducing them and some hybrids before but they don't survive the dry season when the creeks drop and stop flowing. 

I used to fly fish some at a lake near where I grew up. Catch big blue gill bream in there with little popper flies. You could see them cutting the water to run after the fly. Pretty fun really. I don't have any fly rods or rigs now, but, there is a fly tying club that meets at the brewery where I hang out and I have been thinking about joining them a few times to see if it's for me or not to make my own flies. Maybe get back into it that way. 

We just have to drive a few hours north to get on the type waters the trout like. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Belly Bob said:

Be careful. Some people say that a cooler on a boat on the ocean is the wettest market there is.

I would have to agree with them. Doesn't get much wetter than a speckled trout's innards packed with melting ice around a mile off shore on the grass flats of the Florida big bend. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...