Top 5 active Hsfb Coaches ?

Ga96

Just figured it was a good topic to discuss. I can only think of one off the top of my head and that's propst. 

I don't consider coaches who have to recruit 3-5 star players yearly just to stay relevant as top coaches. That's just being able to out talent teams. It doesn't take much of a coaching effort to do that.

• Haha 1

Probably around 12 000 high school football coaches how the hell would I narrow it to the “top 5”? Is it by wins? Players graduation rates? Preparing kids for after football? Scandals or lack thereof? In game adjustments? Schemes? Scheduling prowess? Otherwise just look at the top programs in each state or the top 20 rankings and that’s what people will list.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Probably around 12 000 high school football coaches how the hell would I narrow it to the “top 5”? Is it by wins? Players graduation rates? Preparing kids for after football? Scandals or lack thereof? In game adjustments? Schemes? Scheduling prowess? Otherwise just look at the top programs in each state or the top 20 rankings and that’s what people will list.

You have to factor all of that in to a degree. And then you have to recognize that there will be many excellent coaches that few if anyone, even on a board like this, have even heard of. And there will also be coaches on most every list who are only there because they annually have an absurdly stacked roster that ensures wins.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, badrouter said:

You have to factor all of that in to a degree. And then you have to recognize that there will be many excellent coaches that few if anyone, even on a board like this, have even heard of. And there will also be coaches on most every list who are only there because they annually have an absurdly stacked roster that ensures wins.

Exactly. So the thread should be most popular coaches, not the top coaches. 

• Like 1

Going to play to character and nominate Richard Taylor at Peoria (AZ) Centennial. Qualifications include more than 300 wins in the profession (28 varsity seasons in Arizona after starting in Ohio) and seven state championships since 2006. Also a great story as to how powerful admin support can be; from 1992 to 2001 Centennial never won more than six games in a season, yet there was never talk of taking the program a different direction and that clearly has played dividends in the two decades since.

Of course there are other great coaches in Arizona but I think Taylor is unique based on the fact that he's the guy that has been at Centennial through all their success (while a guy like Mohns at Saguaro or Garrettson at Chandler inherited multiple championship-winning programs).

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2