Best HS Football programs by state

Sammyswordsman

4 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

No. They haven’t won a big game since 2003 *

Hell they were not the Best Team in Euless the last 5 years.  Couldn't resist.  How many of these 11 losses since 2009 is OOS.  Asking for a friend since the caliber of football we keep hearing about being is so much better than Anything SLC or Texas has seen. 

By the way your football minus Ga. Sucks when you got Teams with 20+ freaking championships.  I'd give my left Nut to see NS vs. 26 time State Champ Sheridan, WY  or  that  28x Massachusetts bunch 😎

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/centennial-huskies-(corona,ca)/football-fall-15/schedule.htm

Beat Utah state champ in Utah. JT was a freshman but they beat MD in a close game in the semis. Beat a Bosco team that was undefeated and nearly put 60 on St Peters prep in New Jersey. Bosco qb did get hurt in the first q of the championship game. 2015 Cen10 is a good win for DLS. Losing to trinity was embarrassing but they bounced back and won the game that mattered. 

• Like 2

Just now, HurricaneNick said:

https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/centennial-huskies-(corona,ca)/football-fall-15/schedule.htm

Beat Utah state champ in Utah. JT was a freshman but they beat MD in a close game in the semis. Beat a Bosco team that was undefeated and nearly put 60 on St Peters prep in New Jersey. Bosco qb did get hurt in the first q of the championship game. 2015 Cen10 is a good win for DLS. Losing to trinity was embarrassing but they bounced back and won the game that mattered. 

Trinity has a lot of OOS State Champs skins on their walls.  CA, UT, AR (2x) , TX (NS) and LA. to name a few.  Each time they lost in Texas if memory serves me correctly.   They beat the other 6A champ the same year they beat DLS.  Never embarrassing to lose to those kids.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Guru said:

Not according to you, apparently, since you always manage to bring it up to "embarrass" De La Salle when everybody knows that the better team lost that night.

Wow, that’s the first statement you’ve made that I’ve actually agreed with, in what, a decade? 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, The Guru said:

Not according to you, apparently, since you always manage to bring it up to "embarrass" De La Salle when everybody knows that the better team lost that night.

Who is everybody? And please exclude the multiple ones in your brain housing group.  The only weight they carry is to confirm your nuttiness.  

4 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Who is everybody? And please exclude the multiple ones in your brain housing group.  The only weight they carry is to confirm your nuttiness.  

I would suggest that the only people who think Trinity was better are the deluded Texas posters that have been so nice to grace us with their presence all these years later.

15 minutes ago, 954gator said:

I dunno @The Guru.   That game seemed like a pretty even game, at least by today's standards with some obvious mismatches being played.   Shoot wasn't ET up by 2 scores in the 4th at some point?    I just remember it being a a good solid game, with neither team looking overmatched.  

Trinity doesn't win without a fumble returned for a touchdown with 28 seconds left in the first half. Not to mention it was a complete fluke return where the kid rumbled, bumbled and stumbled into the end zone.

Then DLS had a halfback pass late in the 4th quarter where the receiver was wide open in the end zone and he just missed the throw.

Then, of course, the rest of the season was played and DLS turned out to be better.

Trinity merely had the necessary ingredients to beat DLS and got a couple of breaks and still only won by one score.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Guru said:

Trinity doesn't win without a fumble returned for a touchdown with 28 seconds left in the first half. Not to mention it was a complete fluke return where the kid rumbled, bumbled and stumbled into the end zone.

Then DLS had a halfback pass late in the 4th quarter where the receiver was wide open in the end zone and he just missed the throw.

Then, of course, the rest of the season was played and DLS turned out to be better.

Trinity merely had the necessary ingredients to beat DLS and got a couple of breaks and still only won by one score.

Ok that’s enough, this was beat to death awhile ago, let’s move on to a more compelling argument..................I was on YouTube this morning and someone said the world was flat while providing irrefutable evidence........GO!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Norcalnut said:

Ok that’s enough, this was beat to death awhile ago, let’s move on to a more compelling argument..................I was on YouTube this morning and someone said the world was flat while providing irrefutable evidence........GO!

Ok, I’ll start. If the world is flat how can a running back run downhill?

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, The Guru said:

I won't disagree with that.   I remember that dropped pass too, felt bad for the DLS kid.   At the time though DLS was running California and we had Pops claiming that DLS was #1 in the galaxy that year.       

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, 954gator said:

I won't disagree with that.   I remember that dropped pass too, felt bad for the DLS kid.   At the time though DLS was running California and we had Pops claiming that DLS was #1 in the galaxy that year.

They were certainly overrated by Pops but still better than Trinity.

• Haha 2

Deciding on the best "program" depends on how you define 'program'. To me, it's always been about how well the leadership runs all aspects of the program, and how consistently they've maintained success. Can the program win a bunch of games in down years for talent? How do they fare in games where the opponent clearly has them out-manned? How well do they develop players? Taking an average kid and making him into an FCS scholarship winner is often more impressive than taking an elite talent and having him go on through to a major power 5 offer. 

IMO, once a school has entirely different leadership from one era to the next, it has a new program. This is mostly about the head coach. But, schools like STA and DLS are a bit trickier to evaluate in this way, as both George Smith and Lad still seem fairly involved, along with at least one or two other longtime assistants. They kind of have the same program they've always had, even though the head coach has changed. A Valdosta is so drastically different in leadership from their glory years that it's not the same program.

Best program to me is NOT necessarily about which team has played and won the most "big games". This is because access to talent is not the same for most schools. I think DLS deserves to be a slight notch above STA, being fully aware of the fact that STA has won both games, and would probably be favored again if they were to play next season. STA is located right in the middle of the most talent-rich area of the country and can load up on a lot of talent. The east bay in California is a fairly average area in terms of talent production. DLS isn't going to attract any players from the south bay area up there. And there are few football standouts coming out of the city San Francisco even if they could conceivably commute from there.

I've watched many a game where DLS was clearly outmanned, and yet either won or made it a great game anyway. It was miraculous that they won that game for St. John's a few years back. I'm not sure I can recall seeing a team so badly out-manned and domnated, yet come back to win the game. And that they managed to make the last three games vs. Mater Dei, STA and SJB competitive was also remarkable. 

I don't think anyone can really argue with DLS being the best program in the country. That private schools in more football talent-rich areas are able to load up with more players and beat the DLS teams more often than not doesn't make them better programs. Better, more potent teams, but not better as football programs.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Deciding on the best "program" depends on how you define 'program'. To me, it's always been about how well the leadership runs all aspects of the program, and how consistently they've maintained success. Can the program win a bunch of games in down years for talent? How do they fare in games where the opponent clearly has them out-manned? How well do they develop players? Taking an average kid and making him into an FCS scholarship winner is often more impressive than taking an elite talent and having him go on through to a major power 5 offer. 

IMO, once a school has entirely different leadership from one era to the next, it has a new program. This is mostly about the head coach. But, schools like STA and DLS are a bit trickier to evaluate in this way, as both George Smith and Lad still seem fairly involved, along with at least one or two other longtime assistants. They kind of have the same program they've always had, even though the head coach has changed. A Valdosta is so drastically different in leadership from their glory years that it's not the same program.

Best program to me is NOT necessarily about which team has played and won the most "big games". This is because access to talent is not the same for most schools. I think DLS deserves to be a slight notch above STA, being fully aware of the fact that STA has won both games, and would probably be favored again if they were to play next season. STA is located right in the middle of the most talent-rich area of the country and can load up on a lot of talent. The east bay in California is a fairly average area in terms of talent production. DLS isn't going to attract any players from the south bay area up there. And there are few football standouts coming out of the city San Francisco even if they could conceivably commute from there.

I've watched many a game where DLS was clearly outmanned, and yet either won or made it a great game anyway. It was miraculous that they won that game for St. John's a few years back. I'm not sure I can recall seeing a team so badly out-manned and domnated, yet come back to win the game. And that they managed to make the last three games vs. Mater Dei, STA and SJB competitive was also remarkable. 

I don't think anyone can really argue with DLS being the best program in the country. That private schools in more football talent-rich areas are able to load up with more players and beat the DLS teams more often than not doesn't make them better programs. Better, more potent teams, but not better as football programs.

Yep. Some of the board went nuts when I said DLS has the coaching advantage over NS this year. I can’t think of any staff in the country that does more with less. They can play with anybody in the country for 4 quarters. DLS  O line might average 250-260 lbs on a good year? They don’t mess around up there. I hate those guys but respect the hell out of them.

• Like 3