Sweden or Iceland?

ChimpGrip

39 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Where would you go for a trip first? 

Both are scenic and have fascinating languages

They are currently both better places than here. If you are young, I would suggest immigrating to one or the other. Far more stable societies with much better social contracts!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

They are currently both better places than here. If you are young, I would suggest immigrating to one or the other. Far more stable societies with much better social contracts!

Wouldn't mind having a ranch in Iceland or a cottage in Wales

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChimpGrip said:

Wouldn't mind having a ranch in Iceland or a cottage in Wales

I lived in Wales for a while in a little town called Abergele... sort of the Laguna Beach of Wales. In season its amazing... off season; not so good. I have lived a few places around the world but their family owned restaurants were to me... hands down the best.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gospeeder said:

I lived in Wales for a while in a little town called Abergele... sort of the Laguna Beach of Wales. In season its amazing... off season; not so good. I have lived a few places around the world but their family owned restaurants were to me... hands down the best.

Oh wow! Do you speak Welsh by any chance? How is the cuisine?

3 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Oh wow! Do you speak Welsh by any chance? How is the cuisine?

I never really learned to speak the language very well but managed to understand it somewhat. Hearing it is one thing but getting your tongue and lips to work is another matter.

The cuisine was way over the top. Most of the restaurants were family owned and quite intimate with both parents and siblings participating. The served dinners are not what one would call exotic but most of what is offered comes natively from the area... local cows for beef, chickens, veggies, potatoes etc and the way the food was prepared and saut'eed or flavored was insane. The was also no limit to servings.

The cool thing is that north of Birmingham, the motor ways were littered with these places to eat and imo, nothing in London touched them. I referred in the past tense as it has been a couple of decades since I was there. Hopefully nothing has changed.

• Like 1

Sweden is great if you ignore things blowing up all the time.  In 2018 there were 162 explosions, and in the first nine months of 2019 97 explosions. This is  in a nation of some 10-odd million. Since Sweden began to accept large waves of migrants, it's murder rate has quadrupled.

They are actually suffering some of the same rioting and lawlessness we are seeing here.

"It's not your father's Sweden anymore"

25 minutes ago, concha said:

Since Sweden began to accept large waves of migrants, it's murder rate has quadrupled.

Since you never support your claims with facts, I'm not sure what year you're going to arbitrary use as the start of this "wave of migration" but you're almost certainly being purposefully misleading.

During the 1990s, the homicide rate in Sweden was greater than it is today, remaining between 1.3 and 1.4 murders per 100,000 people during that decade. During the ten years 2002-2011, the average homicide rate was 1.0, and there were an average of 99.5 murders per year, while 2012 saw the lowest rate of murders over the past 30 years with only 68 victims. 

Since 2015, the number of murders in Sweden has been over 100 and the homicide rate per 100,000 people higher than 1.0 each year.

So the figures are creeping up, but remain at a comparatively low level both historically and internationally.

The European Migrant Crisis was in the late 2000s and the vast majority of non-European migrants, like Syrians, Iraqis, etc. (which are the usual targets of the "no-go zones" that you love) came during or since that time.

3 hours ago, concha said:

Sweden is great if you ignore things blowing up all the time.  In 2018 there were 162 explosions, and in the first nine months of 2019 97 explosions. This is  in a nation of some 10-odd million. Since Sweden began to accept large waves of migrants, it's murder rate has quadrupled.

They are actually suffering some of the same rioting and lawlessness we are seeing here.

"It's not your father's Sweden anymore"

Crazy crazy stuff..... guess no Sweden for me. Always liked Finland though.