Take down Churchill’s statue!

Bormio

The greatest of British Prime Ministers, the man who led the fight to save the world from Hitler, who saw the Soviets for what they were .... time to cancel him.  He was an imperialist who believed in the inherent greatness of the British people, and to some a racist.  Now they want his statues removed from Parliament Square in London.  The PM so great he was accorded the singular honor of a state funeral on his death.  It is high time for us to fight for our history, to preserve it and defend it ... and tell these clowns to STFU.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Why would you give two shits what happens in England, unless there's an agenda or somethin' somethin...?

bgw

Because history matters - the good, the bad and the ugly.  Because knowing our history can guide us going forward.  And because western civilization - despite its warts, flaws, blind spots and prejudices - has on balance been a force for great good and progress in the world.  Churchill was one of the great men of the 20th Century and should be recognized as such.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bormio said:

Because history matters - the good, the bad and the ugly.  Because knowing our history can guide us going forward.  And because western civilization - despite its warts, flaws, blind spots and prejudices - has on balance been a force for great good and progress in the world.  Churchill was one of the great men of the 20th Century and should be recognized as such.

So, I’m guessing you’re against anything that calls for removal of all things related to the confederacy?

bgw

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bormio said:

The greatest of British Prime Ministers, the man who led the fight to save the world from Hitler, who saw the Soviets for what they were .... time to cancel him.  He was an imperialist who believed in the inherent greatness of the British people, and to some a racist.  Now they want his statues removed from Parliament Square in London.  The PM so great he was accorded the singular honor of a state funeral on his death.  It is high time for us to fight for our history, to preserve it and defend it ... and tell these clowns to STFU.

You went on at length about Brexit, and the elections over there, and other UK social issues. Do you have British citizenship, or just share your opinion of as many things as possible that piss you off?

• Haha 2

JFK idolized Churchill and said of him that "he mobilized the English language and sent it into battle."

No one's going to forget Churchill, despite his enormous flaws. 

Jefferson's enormous flaws are well known, but he remains a constant object of study and a wellspring to which thinkers return again and again. I think Hitchens joked that one has to write a book on Jefferson to be taken seriously as a writer.

As long as there are people interested in history, language, and ideas, there will be people who know and admire Churchill.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, rockinl said:

Imagine if you will, this country in 1941, governed by BLM, Al Sharpton, Maxine Waters, etc.. trying to defend the USA against Japan and Germany. 

We're fucked. 

I rest my case. 

Wow..  I probably won't be able to sleep tonight just imagining that nightmare scenario you just gave.  

5 hours ago, rockinl said:

Imagine if you will, this country in 1941, governed by BLM, Al Sharpton, Maxine Waters, etc.. trying to defend the USA against Japan and Germany. 

We're fucked. 

I rest my case. 

Can you imagine draft dodger don trump running this country in 1941. Yeah, me either.

There was no twitter and facebook then...and, don would have fired all of our Generals because he knows more than all of them.

Now that's scary!!!

Pretty sure we are fucked.

• Haha 2

On 6/12/2020 at 12:14 PM, Belly Bob said:

JFK idolized Churchill and said of him that "he mobilized the English language and sent it into battle."

No one's going to forget Churchill, despite his enormous flaws. 

Jefferson's enormous flaws are well known, but he remains a constant object of study and a wellspring to which thinkers return again and again. I think Hitchens joked that one has to write a book on Jefferson to be taken seriously as a writer.

As long as there are people interested in history, language, and ideas, there will be people who know and admire Churchill.

I love Reagan and he was a great President, and Roosevelt (who I don’t love) was also a great President, but Winston Churchill was the greatest figure of the 20th Century.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 6:31 AM, Bormio said:

So by taking down a statue it will erase history?  And why do you care so much about what the English people want to do in their own country? 

17 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

So by taking down a statue it will erase history?  And why do you care so much about what the English people want to do in their own country? 

Churchill deserves not merely to be remembered, but to be honored.  He was not only a British PM, but a great world leader under trying circumstances.  He set an example for holding firm to your convictions even when unpopular - as was the case in the 1930’s.  His oratory was brilliant.  And his mother was American - so we can fairly claim him too.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bormio said:

Churchill deserves not merely to be remembered, but to be honored.  He was not only a British PM, but a great world leader under trying circumstances.  He set an example for holding firm to your convictions even when unpopular - as was the case in the 1930’s.  His oratory was brilliant.  And his mother was American - so we can fairly claim him too.

When we have Hero Day here we will know yours......all this time I was thinking it was don j trumper...

On 6/13/2020 at 2:09 AM, RedZone said:

Can you imagine draft dodger don trump running this country in 1941. Yeah, me either.

There was no twitter and facebook then...and, don would have fired all of our Generals because he knows more than all of them.

Now that's scary!!!

Pretty sure we are fucked.

I question whether 2020 America possesses the attention span, discipline, resolve,  common facts and purpose it once had to take on something of the magnitude of WWII.  During WWII all American's sacrificed in support of the effort, including things like rationing of food and fuel etc..  Today it's too much to ask Americans to wear a mask to protect other vulnerable Americans.

Of course, I've also long argued that the current leadership isn't up to the task.  On the anniversary of D-Day, Project Lincoln released an ad that hit on points that have been made here (someday there's an interesting discussion to be had on Project Lincoln, a Republican Never Trump endeavor, and who their target audience is):

Eisenhower was an Antifa activist!  😉😷

• Like 2