RIP Dusty Hill... There's a pork chop sammich waiting on you in Rock and Roll Heaven

HawgGoneIt

This really blows. I have tickets to a ZZ TOP Concert for Saturday night, and they had already announced that Dusty had to go back to Texas for a hip procedure but the show would go on with their long time guitar tech in Dusty's spot. 

Idk if I'd expect the show to go on now. Was really looking forward to seeing them perform one last time before they got too old or died. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

This really blows. I have tickets to a ZZ TOP Concert for Saturday night, and they had already announced that Dusty had to go back to Texas for a hip procedure but the show would go on with their long time guitar tech in Dusty's spot. 

Idk if I'd expect the show to go on now. Was really looking forward to seeing them perform one last time before they got too old or died. 

So this earlier.  Saw them in concert a few times back in the day.  RIP Brother!!

• Like 3

Just now, AztecPadre said:

So this earlier.  Saw them in concert a few times back in the day.  RIP Brother!!

Saw them about 20 years ago in tour with Lynnard Skynnard and was hoping to see them again as a whole this weekend. 

Idk how Billy and Frank carry on the tour now, but, word I got so far is they've canceled their South Carolina show tonight, but, still intend on doing the show I have tickets for on Saturday. 

I honestly wouldn't be upset if they canceled due to the death of Dusty. You know that's a brother to them. 50 years together. I can't imagine how they keep it going. I hope they do though. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Saw them about 20 years ago in tour with Lynnard Skynnard and was hoping to see them again as a whole this weekend. 

Idk how Billy and Frank carry on the tour now, but, word I got so far is they've canceled their South Carolina show tonight, but, still intend on doing the show I have tickets for on Saturday. 

I honestly wouldn't be upset if they canceled due to the death of Dusty. You know that's a brother to them. 50 years together. I can't imagine how they keep it going. I hope they do though. 

They're scheduled to play at Bethel Woods here in N.Y. next month...I just got an offer today from LIVENATION for $20.00 tickets to some shows and ZZ Top was one of the shows...I'm assuming it will get cancelled. Too bad...R.I.P....they created their own R&R style which is hard to do.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I saw them with AC/DC in high school like 100 years ago. Best concert ever.  Grew up watching their videos on MTV with their sick ride.  A lot of the acts I grew up liking and following are passing away.  Guess that happens when I get old.  But man that concert with AC/DC was a fucking blast back in the day.  We were so drunk and just being kids and enjoying some great music.  

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

I saw them with AC/DC in high school like 100 years ago. Best concert ever.  Grew up watching their videos on MTV with their sick ride.  A lot of the acts I grew up liking and following are passing away.  Guess that happens when I get old.  But man that concert with AC/DC was a fucking blast back in the day.  We were so drunk and just being kids and enjoying some great music.  

I saw Judas Priest at Madison Square Garden in 1981ish...best show ever...the place went wild...someone started ripping their seat apart the next thing you everyone was ripping their seats apart throwing the cushions towards the stage...by the end of the show the stage was almost knee high full of seat cushions...and that was the last time Judas Priest played M.S.G...they've been banned from M.S.G. after that show...kids being kids..😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

Yep sucks getting older and seeing your idols of your youth dying off. Buddy and I kinda have a celebrity death watch and it’s a race to see who texts the big name deaths the fastest. Seeing a lot more of childhood going.

Never saw ZZ Top and of course now regret it big time. Always wanted to see them. I used to hit so many concerts starting in the late 70’s while still in elementary school (Day on the Green at Oakland Coliseum was the shit) through the 90’s. Been to maybe 3 concerts the last 10 years. Glad I did see Neil Diamond a few years ago (months before he announced he was going to stop touring). Gotta get off my ass and see some of my favorites before it’s to late. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cossacks said:

Yep sucks getting older and seeing your idols of your youth dying off. Buddy and I kinda have a celebrity death watch and it’s a race to see who texts the big name deaths the fastest. Seeing a lot more of childhood going.

Never saw ZZ Top and of course now regret it big time. Always wanted to see them. I used to hit so many concerts starting in the late 70’s while still in elementary school (Day on the Green at Oakland Coliseum was the shit) through the 90’s. Been to maybe 3 concerts the last 10 years. Glad I did see Neil Diamond a few years ago (months before he announced he was going to stop touring). Gotta get off my ass and see some of my favorites before it’s to late. 

Do it. I've been going to several concerts a year trying to take em all in. Everything from Coolio and Young MC, Vanilla Ice to Air Supply and a lot in between. 

A lot of them are fading fast now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Do it. I've been going to several concerts a year trying to take em all in. Everything from Coolio and Young MC, Vanilla Ice to Air Supply and a lot in between. 

Damn...that is some diverse taste in music. And i thought Metallica /The Cure was diverse!

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

Damn...that is some diverse taste in music. And i thought Metallica /The Cure was diverse!

What's wrong with Metalica/The Cure ??? 🤔

🤣

And RIP Dusty Hill...

Made the scene

when even your blues sounds

could be upbeat.

2 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I saw Slayer in the mid '80's and honestly thought I was not going to make it out of there alive.  I saw them again about 10 years ago and not only were they polite (still thrashed though), so was the crowd.  It was surreal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, I AM IRONMAN said:

Nothing wrong...just very different styles of music that I both dig

Well it WAS YOU...

that mentioned them together. 🤣

Kinda like Queensryche/the Smiths LOL...

...let me guess...(in a Billy Joel voice )

"spent your weekends on the Jersey Shore"

didn't ya 🤣

🏖️

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

Nothing wrong...just very different styles of music that I both dig

Another fun concert story...

Summer of '87, a buddy asks me if I wanted to go see The Cult that night since someone else bailed on them.  I would have said no, but I liked Electric.  I then asked who was opening.  The answer "Some band named Guns N Roses"

I made fun of them the entire ride to the arena, then Slash came out in a Metal Up Your Ass shirt.  I found and bought Appetite the next day

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rippers said:

I saw Slayer in the mid '80's and honestly thought I was not going to make it out of there alive.  I saw them again about 10 years ago and not only were they polite (still thrashed though), so was the crowd.  It was surreal.

Kind of the same for me and the Vanilla Ice concert. Hahaha

Everyone is kinda old now, so we're all settled down. The old folks didn't get stupid until he did TNMT Go Turtle Go Turtle Go! Old folks were breaking their hips tryna break dance or do the prep out in the walkways. Hahahaha. 

Went and saw Train a couple of weeks ago. They were pretty good still. Also still making new music. Got an album gonna drop in Sept. 

It's been strange this year because every concert I've been to, the performers say it's their first show back in front of a live audience. ZZ Top was gonna be the first one that had already performed in other live shows. 

14 hours ago, Cossacks said:

The Cow Palace was the spot for concerts back in the days.  Miss those days of being young and dumb. 

• Like 5