USA vs Mexico Gold cup final

HurricaneNick

5 hours ago, On2whls said:

Since Mexico has a team competing at the O-limp-ics, who is playing in the gold cup finals? Can’t get too excited if Mexico is playing their B squad.

The Olympics is a U-23 tournament for the men. So this was their senior squad.

To the contrary, we took a B-minus team and Mexico took mostly their A-team.

Great win.

1 minute ago, On2whls said:

Not for women’s soccer, basketball, rowing, softball, archery, swimming….. Why is U23 applied only to Men’s soccer?

I think they are allowed 4 players over the age of 23. Also, the Olympics are not FIFA sanctioned so the European teams do not have to allow their players to leave and go play in the Olympics. 

Didn't see the game, and it sounds like it was an exciting one. For whoever watched, did Mexico seem to be as in control of the game as the stats suggest:

Shots - 22-14 in favor of Mexico

Possession - 66%-34% (advantage Mexico)

Passes - 723-427 (advantage Mexico)

Passing Accuracy - 80%-70% (advantage Mexico)

Corners - 11-6 (advantage Mexico)

I know in all sports the team that wins the stat battle doesn't always win the game, but having watched a ton of athletic games over the years (including more soccer than I probably had hoped to see), it seems to me soccer has a higher percentage of games than in other sports where the team controlling the game ends up on the losing end of a 1-0 type contest.

53 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

Didn't see the game, and it sounds like it was an exciting one. For whoever watched, did Mexico seem to be as in control of the game as the stats suggest:

Mexico dominated in the first half but basically the more the game went on the more the US started to assert control.

Similar to the Qatar game but not as drastic.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Mexico dominated in the first half but basically the more the game went on the more the US started to assert control.

Similar to the Qatar game but not as drastic.

I thought the US did a great job of absorbing the pressure and counter attacking. I don't think the US had any intention of winning the possession battle last night. 

3 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

I know in all sports the team that wins the stat battle doesn't always win the game, but having watched a ton of athletic games over the years (including more soccer than I probably had hoped to see), it seems to me soccer has a higher percentage of games than in other sports where the team controlling the game ends up on the losing end of a 1-0 type contest.

You can leave yourself open for a counter when you pressure heavy. 

4 hours ago, Griff said:

8 El Tri selections from the Nations League final played last night, vs 3 for the US.

This was the US's C team in many regards. And Tata was coaching. Don't let Mexico excuse their way out of this, this was a monumental loss for them. 

It wouldn't shock me if Tata gets sacked by the Mexican Federation.  That's his second loss against the Americans this year in a tournament final and World Cup qualifying is about to start in the fall (I think).  They can't be too happy in Mexico City.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Peanut Gallery said:

It wouldn't shock me if Tata gets sacked by the Mexican Federation.  That's his second loss against the Americans this year in a tournament final and World Cup qualifying is about to start in the fall (I think).  They can't be too happy in Mexico City.

WCQs are in Sept. I would be shocked if Martino is still coaching.