Massachusetts Thread

Adam Kurkjian

11 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

My stream is still good... unless you are a Duxbury fan... then my stream is bad. Really bad..

I did notice earlier that mine seemed to behind your posts just a little though, so maybe the program end is nigh. xD

I got it back. ??

If it weren’t for bad luck, Duxbury wouldn’t have any luck at all.

13 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

My stream is still good... unless you are a Duxbury fan... then my stream is bad. Really bad..

I did notice earlier that mine seemed to behind your posts just a little though, so maybe the program end is nigh. xD

I was afraid it was over for the night.  We’re still waiting for the Div 1 matchup at 8.

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Springfield looking to be the better team at this point. Duxbury just can't seem to get rolling on O against that blackhat defense. The one time they were in a nice rhythm, the qb threw one right to the blackhat defense. 

Well, at least one state champ will be blackhats. 🤠

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

MIAA to vote on Statewide tournament proposal February 28th. Would be a good thing for football since it would cut down from 8 to 5 divisions and place the larger Central/Western schools in the divisions where they belong. Probably not so good for other sports.

http://www.miaa.net/gen/miaa_generated_bin/documents/basic_module/Statewide_Tournament_Proposal_Special_Assembly.pdf

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2020 at 1:08 PM, MA Fan said:

MIAA to vote on Statewide tournament proposal February 28th. Would be a good thing for football since it would cut down from 8 to 5 divisions and place the larger Central/Western schools in the divisions where they belong. Probably not so good for other sports.

http://www.miaa.net/gen/miaa_generated_bin/documents/basic_module/Statewide_Tournament_Proposal_Special_Assembly.pdf

The statewide tournament proposal passed by a 193-140 vote:

https://www.gazettenet.com/MIAA-approves-move-to-statewide-tournament-for-2021-season-32985157

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CODBEARD said:

Actually the Calpreps computer rankings work well in very small states where there is a lot games with common opponents.. Cal/Max is usually pretty spot on with Delaware.. Not sure about MA but it would work well in Connecticut or Rhode Island.. It is better than figuring opponent strength simply by won/loss record like a lot of state point systems do.. Be interesting to see how it works.. I think it could solve a lot of issues in delaware seedings/point if they went to it...

We shall see.  I understand why Eastern Mass was dissatisfied with the 4 regional setup.  They had to play several more games than the Central and Western teams do to reach the finals, just on the basis of numbers.  Unfair to be sure.

But I’m not sure your comment about lots of games with common opponents will hold.

There really aren’t a ton of games between West and East.  More  between Central and East, but still a pretty small number.  West and Central play each other quite a bit.

I have a hard time trusting a site that can’t even get the schedules right, much less rank the whole state, in multiple divisions.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Wosinc said:

have a hard time trusting a site that can’t even get the schedules right, much less rank the whole state, in multiple divisions.

Calpreps does NOT rank the smaller states correctly. They are actually better with bigger states. I live in Nebraska and every year they throw some smaller class team that blew everyone out as the top team. Those teams wouldn’t stand a chance against the bigger schools from Omaha and Lincoln. They just simply don’t have the numbers to compete. 

Calpreps is great for research because they list every score of every game. That helps out tremendously when putting together a national poll. I just wish they would list the games in the order they are played. 

17 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

Calpreps does NOT rank the smaller states correctly. They are actually better with bigger states. I live in Nebraska and every year they throw some smaller class team that blew everyone out as the top team. Those teams wouldn’t stand a chance against the bigger schools from Omaha and Lincoln. They just simply don’t have the numbers to compete. 

Calpreps is great for research because they list every score of every game. That helps out tremendously when putting together a national poll. I just wish they would list the games in the order they are played. 

I wish they could figure out how to eliminate duplicate games, or games with two different teams on the same day.

I also don’t find that they list the score of every game.  Many are missing.  To be fair, they can’t report if the teams don’t give them the updates.

58 minutes ago, Wosinc said:

I wish they could figure out how to eliminate duplicate games, or games with two different teams on the same day.

I also don’t find that they list the score of every game.  Many are missing.  To be fair, they can’t report if the teams don’t give them the updates.

I agree. I just wish people wouldn’t use them (or Maxpreps) as a way to rank teams and prognosticate future games. At least use a more reputable human poll. Or, better yet, the compilation poll should be used. 

Like I said, they are a great resource, but not a great ranking system. You’re right about some of the inaccuracies, though. I find myself having to look up hometown articles to verify some of the more questionable scores. Lol

• Like 1

Yeah, I see lots of worrying about certain aspects of the MaxPreps rating formula, but the big question is who will be in charge of confirming that all the scores are correct? 

Anyway, I still think the new format is good for football, since it reduces the number of divisions and ends the ridiculous situation of D1 and D2 being EMass only, but bad for other sports.

6 hours ago, MA Fan said:

Yeah, I see lots of worrying about certain aspects of the MaxPreps rating formula, but the big question is who will be in charge of confirming that all the scores are correct? 

Anyway, I still think the new format is good for football, since it reduces the number of divisions and ends the ridiculous situation of D1 and D2 being EMass only, but bad for other sports.

This new format doesn’t reduce the number of divisions.  That was done in a separate move, about a year ago (just guessing).  This thrust of this new format is to rank the state as a whole, rather than by section. 

Now that a particular team’s fortunes are directly dependent on the Maxpreps data, perhaps (we can only hope) the coaches will be more faithful in monitoring what info Maxpreps is using.

Up to now I suspect they didn’t much care.

As for D1, D2, there aren’t a whole bunch of teams that size in Western and Central Mass, which is a main reason why there was pushback from West and Central.  Those few D1, D2 teams will have to spend a lot of time (and $$) traveling East if they hope to  compete statewide.

That probably doesn’t seem like a big deal to most people, but football revenue in Mass is nowhere near the levels of, say, Georgia or Texas, or California so all travel has to be funded from school budgets.  Pockets aren’t deep, to say the least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wosinc said:

This new format doesn’t reduce the number of divisions.  That was done in a separate move, about a year ago (just guessing).  This thrust of this new format is to rank the state as a whole, rather than by section. 

Now that a particular team’s fortunes are directly dependent on the Maxpreps data, perhaps (we can only hope) the coaches will be more faithful in monitoring what info Maxpreps is using.

Up to now I suspect they didn’t much care.

As for D1, D2, there aren’t a whole bunch of teams that size in Western and Central Mass, which is a main reason why there was pushback from West and Central.  Those few D1, D2 teams will have to spend a lot of time (and $$) traveling East if they hope to  compete statewide.

That probably doesn’t seem like a big deal to most people, but football revenue in Mass is nowhere near the levels of, say, Georgia or Texas, or California so all travel has to be funded from school budgets.  Pockets aren’t deep, to say the least.

I thought the reduction in divisions was contingent on the statewide tournament passing. Was hard to tell what changes were based on the statewide tournament and what changes were going to happen anyway. Got a link?

The few competitive hockey teams in Central/Western Mass have been playing D1 with the EMass schools for years. Football can do the same. It is a small number of games and they are not on school nights. Springfield Central already schedules EMass teams in the regular season. It's absurd for schools like Central or St. John's to be playing for state championships against schools half their size. 

• 5 months later...
On 8/23/2020 at 1:52 PM, Adam Kurkjian said:

Football is delayed until a roving season in the winter/spring, but I've started previews on my website. Here is what we have so far in the countdown, and the general preview.

These are a lot of work, but also plenty of fun.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Great job, as usual.

Sad to see how Brockton has fallen.  Never thought I’d see the day when they would lose to Franklin.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/23/2020 at 1:52 PM, Adam Kurkjian said:

Football is delayed until a roving season in the winter/spring, but I've started previews on my website. Here is what we have so far in the countdown, and the general preview.

These are a lot of work, but also plenty of fun.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Countdown is finished now. Could have gone in a number of directions with the top 5. The transfer of QB Duke Doherty from Everett to Winthrop may be enough to put Mansfield in that five spot. Some people I've talked to think CM or Springfield Central should be No. 1. Either would be a good choice, but hard to pick against what the Prep has been the last few years.

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...