Massachusetts Thread

Adam Kurkjian

5 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

It's not a typo.

Just like you claiming that Imhotep Charter was a private school. That wasn't a mistake. You were just ignorant.

You thought the school's name was Bishop Hendrickson.

Not true. I admitted about mistakenly identifying Imhotep as a private school. This latest incident WAS a typo. You’re really getting more and more pathetic with your feeble attempts to insult people these days. Just cower back down to your mom’s basement and finish your meatloaf. 

4 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

You’re really getting more and more pathetic with your feeble attempts to insult people these days.

It's only an insult to your ego when your exposed as a faker and somebody who doesn't even know basic stuff about high schools.

I pointed out a fact and then stated the only logical conclusion: You're ignorant.

You call this an insult in order to change the subject.

15 hours ago, MA Fan said:

Great old SI article on the Morris family:

https://vault.si.com/vault/1981/08/24/the-fearsome-foursome-the-morris-brothers-of-ayer-mass-are-perhaps-the-most-spectacular-quartet-of-siblings-who-ever-laced-up-football-cleats-and-track-spikes

Includes this gem of a quote about the football in Central Mass versus North Carolina

The Morris dynasty started when Joe started playing football at Southern Pines, N.C. in elementary school, but when he got to Ayer as a seventh-grader he took a look at the level of competition and wanted nothing to do with it.

Too good?

"No, sir," says Joe. "Too bad."

Never saw this story.

28 minutes ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

CM is playing Hendricken this weekend. A good game between two of the best teams in New England.

I love these types of OOS games. It doesn’t always have to be between the big boys (ie IMG,MD,SJB,STA,etc). Has a top team from Mass ever taken on a top Conn team like St. Joseph, Staples, or New Canaan? 
I wouldn’t mind seeing Bonny Eagle,ME or Thornton Acad take on Rutland,VT or even Londonderry,NH or Derry Pinkerton. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

I love these types of OOS games. It doesn’t always have to be between the big boys (ie IMG,MD,SJB,STA,etc). Has a top team from Mass ever taken on a top Conn team like St. Joseph, Staples, or New Canaan? 
I wouldn’t mind seeing Bonny Eagle,ME or Thornton Acad take on Rutland,VT or even Londonderry,NH or Derry Pinkerton. 

The best Mass.-Conn. series I can remember was Xaverian and New Britain (Conn.) back in 2003-04-05. Back then, New Britain was the team to beat in Conn. New Britain won the first one down there, 41-6, then X beat them in 04 back in Westwood, 49-0. The New Britain coach left that offseason, and X won the rubber match.

These days, the way the playoff points work in Conn., you don't see games like that too often. You don't see a lot of Maine OOS games for some reason. NH teams have played a lot of Mass. teams over the years. Catholic Memorial played a Vt. team for a few years.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

Unfortunately some states don't have much flexibility in scheduling. Pinkerton Academy and Brockton had a long-running series that ended when the NHIAA did a realignment that eliminated Pinkerton's open dates. I think Maine is similar in not having open dates.

There are New England championships in several individual sports--many years ago they also existed for team sports, but never football.

Catholic Memorial drilled Bishop Hendricken 55-28, it was 55-14 midway through the third quarter.

Springfield Central star QB missed their game after being involved in a car accident earlier in the day, not many details but coach said he thinks he will be alright, they won easily without him.

The long-awaited debut of the statewide power rankings is here:

http://miaa.net/contentm/easy_pages/view.php?sid=38&page_id=361

Seems like there are a number of incorrect records and missing results? Springfield Central for example is listed as 1-1, I don't know if the IMG game counts but they are 2-1 in-state. Nice that they are weighting strength of schedule highly but it will ruffle some feathers that winless Brockton would make the playoffs if the season ended today.

15 hours ago, MA Fan said:

The long-awaited debut of the statewide power rankings is here:

http://miaa.net/contentm/easy_pages/view.php?sid=38&page_id=361

Seems like there are a number of incorrect records and missing results? Springfield Central for example is listed as 1-1, I don't know if the IMG game counts but they are 2-1 in-state. Nice that they are weighting strength of schedule highly but it will ruffle some feathers that winless Brockton would make the playoffs if the season ended today.

I'm not crazy about these rankings. I like the calpreps/Maxpreps model better. That said, I'm sure everything will work itself out. But seeing CM as the No. 16 team in D2 is . . . interesting.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2021 at 6:27 PM, Adam Kurkjian said:

I'm not crazy about these rankings. I like the calpreps/Maxpreps model better. That said, I'm sure everything will work itself out. But seeing CM as the No. 16 team in D2 is . . . interesting.

The 14-point cap for margin of victory is really helping to drag down teams who have some weak opponents on their schedule...Everett down to #9 in D1 and their SOS is going to take another hit this week. I'd be interested to see what the ratings would look like if there was a higher cap or no cap. The ratings at this point aren't too different from MaxPreps but where they differ I tend to agree with MaxPreps.

Globe had their article where coaches of low-rated teams with good records get to complain...I have sympathy for some of these teams. No sympathy for coaches who couldn't be bothered to understand how the ratings work:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/10/24/sports/miaas-new-playoff-format-some-teams-with-winning-records-are-likely-left-out/

23 hours ago, MA Fan said:

The 14-point cap for margin of victory is really helping to drag down teams who have some weak opponents on their schedule...Everett down to #9 in D1 and their SOS is going to take another hit this week. I'd be interested to see what the ratings would look like if there was a higher cap or no cap. The ratings at this point aren't too different from MaxPreps but where they differ I tend to agree with MaxPreps.

Globe had their article where coaches of low-rated teams with good records get to complain...I have sympathy for some of these teams. No sympathy for coaches who couldn't be bothered to understand how the ratings work:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/10/24/sports/miaas-new-playoff-format-some-teams-with-winning-records-are-likely-left-out/

I'm with you on basically all this, especially the bolded part.

The slightly-delayed, heavily-controversial, still-subject-to-change playoff brackets are finally out:

http://miaa.ezstream.com/index.cfm?ChnID=331&SubID=-1&chncd=331,-1&itemid=8443&parid=-1&Org=MIAA&CFID=298088&CFTOKEN=82beb368340d675d-AB1AB52B-B820-73D9-A85F5B1FA5C4A71F

Here are the pairings for the top two divisions:

Division 1
#1 Franklin (7-0) - #16 Braintree (4-4)
#8 Methuen (6-2) - #9 Everett (7-0)
#5 Springfield Central (6-2) - #12 Lawrence (4-4)
#4 Xavierian (6-2) - #13 Brockton (3-5)
#3 St. John's Prep (6-2) - #14 Shrewsbury (4-4)
#6 Wachusett (7-1) - #11 Andover (5-3)
#7 St. John's-Shrewsbury (4-4) - #10 Taunton (4-4)
#2 Central Catholic (7-1) - #15 Weymouth (5-3)

Division 2
#1 Catholic Memorial (7-0) - #16 Woburn (6-1)
#8 Bishop Feehan (7-1) - #9 Reading (8-0)
#5 Lincoln-Sudbury (7-0) - #12 Wellesley (6-2)
#4 Marshfield (7-1) - #13 Beverly (4-4)
#3 King Philip (6-1) - #14 Chelmsford (6-2)
#6 Mansfield (5-3) - #11 Barnstable (6-2)
#7 Natick (7-1) - #10 North Andover (3-5)
#2 Milford (6-2) - #15 Hingham (5-3)

D2 has the clear best team (CM) and may be deeper, but I guess the championship race in D1 is more competitive due to the best team being in D2.

Took a look at the volleyball brackets and lol the statewide thing is not going to go over well...they need to regionalize the first couple rounds at least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MA Fan said:

Methuen 25 Everett 22 that's a shocker, Wonder if Everett suddenly having a (very weak) league schedule hurt them.

That's a legitimate question. They blew out everyone in their league. Beat Xaverian at the beginning of the year. Tough loss for Everett, and I wonder how they'll respond next year. This year's team was extremely senior dominated.

• 3 weeks later...

Championship game schedule is out. MIAA's hands are tied on the scheduling but it does suck that the games are during the week. I think the Monday games get moved to Friday 12/3 if the Revolution are eliminated from the MLS playoffs. Presumably these will be streamed somewhere.

Wednesday 12/1

3:00 D8: Hull (9-2) vs. Randolph (7-4)

5:30 D7: Wahconah (11-0) vs. Cohasset (8-2)

8:00 D5: North Reading (10-1) vs. Swampscott (11-0)

Thursday 12/2

3:00 D3: Marblehead (10-0) vs. North Attleboro (7-3)

5:30 D1: Central Catholic (10-1) vs. Springfield Central (9-2)

8:00 D2: Catholic Memorial (11-0) vs. King Philip (9-1)

Monday 12/6

5:00 D6: Abington (10-1) vs. Rockland (9-1)

7:30 D4: Scituate (10-1) vs. Duxbury (9-1)

Expect lots of points in the D1 game. Five of the eight games are between teams that would have been in the same section under the old system so I guess that's a win for the statewide bracketing. Marblehead and Swampscott play on Thanksgiving, is this the first time for a Thanksgiving game between two teams in state championship games?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2021 at 3:24 PM, MA Fan said:

I think the Monday games get moved to Friday 12/3 if the Revolution are eliminated from the MLS playoffs.

The Monday games were moved to Friday even before the Revs lost last night.

Today and tomorrow's games should be streamed on patriots.com if you need some midweek football in your life.

5 hours ago, MA Fan said:

The Monday games were moved to Friday even before the Revs lost last night.

Today and tomorrow's games should be streamed on patriots.com if you need some midweek football in your life.

Is this happening?

I went to the site and couldn't find any sign that the games would be streamed.

13 minutes ago, Wosinc said:

Is this happening?

I went to the site and couldn't find any sign that the games would be streamed.

Yeah, they're on the front page of the Patriots website, just scroll down a bit from the top. First game is at halftime right now.

Can also try http://boston.cbslocal.com/live/

Referee on the first game has an oustanding accent.