USC's Malachi Nelson, Damani Jackson and Tackett Curtis Enter The Transfer Portal...

RedZone

55 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

Jackson is not a CB. He’s a freak athlete who dominated in high school but was frequently exposed against elite competition. Watched him get absolutely torched and blow assignments left and right multiple times this year. Small sample size but it was consistent with what I saw at Mater Dei. Best of luck to him, I’m just not sure where he fits in.

I think he's a SS myself

• Like 2

Sorta related.  Oregon looks to be set at QB.  They landed Dillon Gabriel out of Oklahoma (first team all Big 12)  to be their starter in 2024.  Dante Moore also going to  the Ducks where he will get a reset with a year of training and development behind Gabriel.  In theory he will emerge as the starter in 2025.

My Bruins are nowhere.  So far I'm reading their recruiting class ranks 15th out of the 18 team B1G.

1 hour ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Sorta related.  Oregon looks to be set at QB.  They landed Dillon Gabriel out of Oklahoma (first team all Big 12)  to be their starter in 2024.  Dante Moore also going to  the Ducks where he will get a reset with a year of training and development behind Gabriel.  In theory he will emerge as the starter in 2025.

My Bruins are nowhere.  So far I'm reading their recruiting class ranks 15th out of the 18 team B1G.

I know a couple kids who Kelly recruited years ago and apparently the school visit and entire experience were pretty bad and he was a big turn off. They’ve been a couple missing pieces away from having some pretty damn good teams, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoBigBlack said:

I know a couple kids who Kelly recruited years ago and apparently the school visit and entire experience were pretty bad and he was a big turn off. They’ve been a couple missing pieces away from having some pretty damn good teams, though.

Yeah, this isn't the first story I've heard like this.  Kelly doesn't seem to be into recruiting, and up until it looked like he might lose his job, I hardly saw much that indicated he was all that excited to have the job.  I don't get it.

I have to say, I liked the idea of Kelly coaching at UCLA at the time of his hiring.  I thought kids from LA would start fighting to go play in his offense.  I didn't think UCLA would pay what they needed to pay to get him, but when UCLA did make Kelly an offer and he accepted, I was pretty excited about it.  I thought maybe UCLAs commitment to football had changed and they would turn the corner.  Like you say, they've had some great players come through, but they always seem to be a few pieces short.

On 11/5/2017 at 9:19 AM, 15yds4gibberish said:

Adam,

Great question.  I don't know.

UCLA has been mired in mediocrity for so long, I've forgotten what it's like to expect better.  A further part of my problem is I really don't follow college football enough to have an informed opinion, and we share common friends with the Mora's so I'm predisposed to cut him a lot more slack than most.   Although with a probable two losing seasons in a row, it's a real question.

Pretty sure everybody wants in on the Chip Kelly lottery.  No idea if he'd consider UCLA, but it's fun to think of all that talent in Los Angeles being paired up with his offense...I personally wouldn't mind a bit if they went with someone for whom UCLA would be a next step up and they could grow together -- Like the Navy coach whose name I can't remember or spell -- He's had nice success, runs a good program, and is offense minded which I think is a plus in LA, although he'd probably have to evolve beyond the triple option.  

I'd sure be interested in hearing what @steeler01 , @Cossacks, and some of the more informed posters at the college level have to say. 

12 hours ago, RedZone said:

5* USC QB Malachi Nelson also entered the transfer portal last night, I believe. He was supposedly the future of USC football.

What's going on out there, big house riley?

Malachi Nelson's camp has had preliminary talks with Tulane, TCU, South Carolina, Houston and Cal, according to On3 sports.

18 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

Which is evidence of the fact he was overrated coming out of HS…. 🤣

big house riley wanted him badly.......what does that say about riley if he's so overrated? I thought riley knows QBs.

Nelson is OU coach Lincoln Riley’s third five-star quarterback as head coach, joining Caleb Williams in 2021 and Spencer Rattler in 2019. 

20 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

Riley may know a thing or two about quarterback play, but his house is so big and nice that it doesn’t matter. He sucks!

What exactly does he know about QBs other than trying to recruit them?

And,

The house is 13,000 square feet, and it includes seven bedrooms and 12 bathrooms. On top of that, there is a five-car garage and an elevator.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2023 at 3:57 PM, 15yds4gibberish said:

Yeah, this isn't the first story I've heard like this.  Kelly doesn't seem to be into recruiting, and up until it looked like he might lose his job, I hardly saw much that indicated he was all that excited to have the job.  I don't get it.

A true sophomore who is already a two-time All-American and was just named MVP in the Rose Bowl. To be fair, a of people missed on him. But nobody in his backyard. He was playing in high school in SoCal two years ago and UCLA was his dream school. Chip Kelly is incredible.

Just listen to the first few seconds of the clip it should start at 1:15.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, GoBigBlack said:

A true sophomore who is already a two-time All-American and was just named MVP in the Rose Bowl. To be fair, a of people missed on him. But nobody in his backyard. He was playing in high school in SoCal two years ago and UCLA was his dream school. Chip Kelly is incredible.

Just listen to the first few seconds of the clip it should start at 1:15.

Man, my mind races.  First this seems like a real missed opportunity for UCLA, but I’m happy for the kid.  It sounds like he’s on the watch list for the Lombardi, and he gets to play for the national championship – The latter of which ain’t happening anytime soon at UCLA.

Kelly seems more focused on the portal than on recruiting freshman, but even there UCLA is losing a lot to the portal this year, including a couple of good players going to USC (along with their defensive coordinator).  This is a shitty year for UCLA to be moving to the B1G.

UCLA lost control of their backyard a long time ago.  This is a newer phenomenon for USC.  Maybe the extra B1G exposure (and $) will help these schools keep some more kids closer to home…but who knows?

It’s funny.  Washington and Oregon were basically last-minute throw-ins for the B1G last August, but right now they are far better positioned to help the B1G be competitive with the SEC in the Playoffs than USC and UCLA…at half the cost.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

It’s funny.  Washington and Oregon were basically last-minute throw-ins for the B1G last August, but right now they are far better positioned to help the B1G be competitive with the SEC in the Playoffs than USC and UCLA…at half the cost.

I agree.

That said.

Next year might be the best year ever in college football.

Will be a make or break year for a lot of head coaches as well 

8 hours ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Man, my mind races.  First this seems like a real missed opportunity for UCLA, but I’m happy for the kid.  It sounds like he’s on the watch list for the Lombardi, and he gets to play for the national championship – The latter of which ain’t happening anytime soon at UCLA.

Definitely was a miss. Like we said, they’ve only been a few pieces away from some great teams. There’s one.

The guy doesn’t even seem like he cares sometimes.