Michigan- Washington Predictions

steeler01

2 hours ago, steeler01 said:

There's never been a team win a national championship in the BCS era with the recruiting numbers that Washington has.  I don't think that changes today. 

Michigan will be superior along the LOS on both sides and that's what will be the final factor in this game. 

Washington will need a +2 edge in turnovers to win. It's very hard to play two games against the opposition they're facing without turning the ball over(They had 0 offensive turnovers against Texas)

You are aware that WA has the names beat offensive line in the country and, while D unit is not on that level, they have a better player (per NFL scouts) than anyone on Michigans front 7

my point is only that if Michigan has an edge on the LOS, it’s slight and not the lopsided variety that will determine game outcomes 

I hear what you’re saying about WA recruiting — it’s not on par with Oregon, USC, or TX either (all of whom are in UM’s “recruit” level or better), but UW is 4-0 vs them.  

UW is way better offensively than any offense UM has faced — OSU had same-ish talent except at QB, which was the difference in that game 

I’ve got a bias in this game — used to go to Husky games by boat in the 80s.  So, I’m probably rationalizing a bit, but I don’t think UW is going to get pushed around by superior athletes.

48 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

You're mixing up the rose bowl game of 2019 with the OSU that started Jones(3rd string QB) that destroyed Oregon. 

Ohio State 19th ranked defense

Oregon 89th ranked defense

Michigan 1st ranked defense

Washington 97th ranked defense

OSU with Elliot . Wasn't it Haskins who came in midpoint that year replacing the starter , or what was the qb's name ?  They beat ALA in semis and then killed OU.  OU was decimated with injuries, both to their secondary and wr's . 

On 1/6/2024 at 1:27 PM, golfaddict1 said:

Go WA!  Underrated and very talented!   27-17 WA!  

#reversepsychology 😉 

Good to see you chime in sir.  How’s the good life out west treating you?  

Excellent thank you 

just surfed on here for some NC game discussion.  One if first threads I noticed just said “Track” and I didn’t even need to look for the author but did just to confirm that nothings changed here 💪

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Michigan 1st ranked defense

Washington 97th ranked defense

This would not be the case had they played the same schedule 

MI’s D is certainly excellent, but WA played 8 games vs higher ranked offenses than anyone on UM’s schedule, inc Bama/ OSU

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Not really,  other than last year's game vs TCU. What game can you point to? 

Michigan State was pretty good in 2015, but Michigan had them beat. It was a big Big 10 game

I can post some more.

Didn't Michigan spot Alabama 7 points on a fumbled punt also.

Always kind of liked Michigan and was impressed with Penix and Washington and really liked the way they play.

My brain tells me to take Michigan, but I think if Washington can complete a 30-40 yard pass on the first drive, then Washington may take it. I think doing that last week gave Penix and the WRs confidence and they built on that.

I don't see any predictions of blowouts so advantages to one side won't be as big as some think.  Once game starts, slight advantages go out the window and it will be a matter of executing your plan and adjusting when plan ultimately breaks down.  Adjustments and turnovers.  Who does better on those two will win.  Any 4 of these playoff teams can beat the others on any given day.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PopsNW said:

You are aware that WA has the names beat offensive line in the country and, while D unit is not on that level, they have a better player (per NFL scouts) than anyone on Michigans front 7

Washington doesn't have the best offensive line and one or two players doesn't make an entire line.  

The player you speak of is an edge rusher. Michigan is gonna pound the rock. You're only as strong as your weakest link upfront and Washington isn't very strong outside of one or two players on both sides of the LOS.

my point is only that if Michigan has an edge on the LOS, it’s slight and not the lopsided variety that will determine game outcomes 

It's greater than any other mismatch on the field

Michigan OL Vs Washington DL

Michigan DL Washington OL

I hear what you’re saying about WA recruiting — it’s not on par with Oregon, USC, or TX either (all of whom are in UM’s “recruit” level or better), but UW is 4-0 vs them.  

Oregon and USC haven't been very good in recruiting upfront.  Texas was strong but their defensive liability was against the pass all season long. 

UW is way better offensively than any offense UM has faced — OSU had same-ish talent except at QB, which was the difference in that game 

They're better at the skill positions,  but not upfront. 

I’ve got a bias in this game — used to go to Husky games by boat in the 80s.  So, I’m probably rationalizing a bit, but I don’t think UW is going to get pushed around by superior athletes.

Michigan isn't Georgia of last year, but I do believe Washington isn't as good as TCU was overall and not along the LOS.

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

Michigan State was pretty good in 2015, but Michigan had them beat. It was a big Big 10 game

I can post some more.

Didn't Michigan spot Alabama 7 points on a fumbled punt also.

You said they always chokes and cited one game and one play in the last 9 years

And Michigan beat Alabama with the mistakes

22 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

But what games was he favored in?

Being a 14 point dog and losing isn't a choke

I think they win tonight but type in Jim Harbaugh chokes and there are tons of articles.  His bowl record screams chokes. If he leaves after tonight for the NFL he will leave with a losing record to Ohio State. 

1 hour ago, PopsNW said:

This would not be the case had they played the same schedule 

MI’s D is certainly excellent, but WA played 8 games vs higher ranked offenses than anyone on UM’s schedule, inc Bama/ OSU

You're right,  but Washington being ranked 43rd in the nation against the run is alarming.  The PAC 12 isn't a running conference. 

Just now, HooverOutlaw said:

His bowl record screams

Nobody cares about bowl games. One of his players started the sitting out bowl games(TE forgot his name and don't wanted to look)

Just now, HooverOutlaw said:

I think they win tonight but type in Jim Harbaugh chokes and there are tons of articles.  His bowl record screams chokes. If he leaves after tonight for the NFL he will leave with a losing record to Ohio State. 

Harbaugh came in with a crappy Michigan team and turned them around and has been in 3 straight playoffs.  If he wins the NC he'll be one of two coaches to win the NC at Michigan in the modern era. The other didn't even have to play against the 2nd ranked team that they split with. 

He wins today and he'll do something no coach has done at Michigan. The expectations of Harbaugh by people like you at Michigan aren't realistic because what you're expecting of him has never been done at that school. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Washington doesn't have the best offensive line and one or two players doesn't make an entire line.  

The player you site is an edge rusher. Michigan is gonna pound the rock. You're only as strong as your weakest link upfront and Washington isn't very strong outside of one or two players on both sides of the LOS.

It's greater than any other mismatch on the field

Michigan OL Vs Washington DL

Michigan DL Washington OL

Oregon and USC haven't been very good in recruiting upfront.  Texas was strong but their defensive liability was against the pass all season long. 

They're better at the skill positions,  but not upfront. 

Michigan isn't Georgia of last year, but I do believe Washington isn't as good as TCU was overall and not along the LOS.

Not sure if you're aware that UW won the "Joe Moore Award" this year for nation's best OL or if you are just disagreeing with the choice.  Either way, calling that a huge mismatch (Mich DL vs UW OL) I think is a disservice to UW.  They may not be the highest rated recruits, but they demonstrated a phenomenal ability to protect Penix and were deserving of award.  They'll likely have 3-4 OL drafted inc a 1st rounder before anyone from MI.

On DL, their edge rusher (Brice) also projected to go before any MI linemen, and the other end is a projected 3rd to 5th rounder.  Their run-stopper in the middle has been underrated ever since his prep days at DLS :)

I have a bias toward TCU also (2 sons are now alums) and am just rolling my eyes at hearing UW not as good as TCU '22.  I think all 4 playoff teams this year are superior to TCU '22.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

You're right,  but Washington being ranked 43rd in the nation against the run is alarming.  The PAC 12 isn't a running conference. 

That's a fair point -- even though I think you're disregarding my point a bit on their total defense rankings playing a vastly superior offensive schedule.  

Michigan's rushing attack vs UW defense is the one match-up I'm most worried about.  I just think UW is better than the school of thought that says Michigan will run at will, keep the ball away from Penix, etc.  UW has multiple Sunday players on their DL and the margin of mismatch will be smaller than you ascribe and it'll be hard to rely on the run for sustained scoring drives as Michigan's game plan.

Here's another angle that could play out -- UW gets and early lead.  UM isn't built to come from behind, whereas it won't change UW's approach one way or the other.

Lastly, I think these are the 2 best teams (at least most deserving to be here -- I think both would be dogs to GA), and will be a great game that could easily go either way.  I'm rooting for UW so playing Devil's advocate a bit with you, which seems an easier chore with you portraying the UW trenches as the Little Sisters of the Poor

18 minutes ago, PopsNW said:

Not sure if you're aware that UW won the "Joe Moore Award" this year for nation's best OL or if you are just disagreeing with the choice.  Either way, calling that a huge mismatch (Mich DL vs UW OL) I think is a disservice to UW.  They may not be the highest rated recruits, but they demonstrated a phenomenal ability to protect Penix and were deserving of award.  They'll likely have 3-4 OL drafted inc a 1st rounder before anyone from MI.

On DL, their edge rusher (Brice) also projected to go before any MI linemen, and the other end is a projected 3rd to 5th rounder.  Their run-stopper in the middle has been underrated ever since his prep days at DLS :)

I have a bias toward TCU also (2 sons are now alums) and am just rolling my eyes at hearing UW not as good as TCU '22.  I think all 4 playoff teams this year are superior to TCU '22.

Didn't " Tuli " ( or however you pronounce the name ) graduate in 2016 ?  I thought he was the DLS player, but his H.S. career ended so long ago that I removed the thought . Will this be his 7th year of eligibility ?"   

25 minutes ago, PopsNW said:

Not sure if you're aware that UW won the "Joe Moore Award" this year for nation's best OL or if you are just disagreeing with the choice.  Either way, calling that a huge mismatch (Mich DL vs UW OL) I think is a disservice to UW.

I am disagreeing. 

They may not be the highest rated recruits, but they demonstrated a phenomenal ability to protect Penix and were deserving of award.  They'll likely have 3-4 OL drafted inc a 1st rounder before anyone from MI.

Not true.  Keegan will go after the two T(Guards are rarely first rounders). Zinter is hurt,  but they're not playing the Washington offensive line they're playing the Washington defensive line and they're not very good. 

That's the problem,  he's a pass rusher and Michigan is gonna gut them up the middle. 

I don't think so. 

15 minutes ago, PopsNW said:

That's a fair point -- even though I think you're disregarding my point a bit on their total defense rankings playing a vastly superior offensive schedule.  

Michigan's rushing attack vs UW defense is the one match-up I'm most worried about.  I just think UW is better than the school of thought that says Michigan will run at will, keep the ball away from Penix, etc.  UW has multiple Sunday players on their DL and the margin of mismatch will be smaller than you ascribe and it'll be hard to rely on the run for sustained scoring drives as Michigan's game plan.

Here's another angle that could play out -- UW gets and early lead.  UM isn't built to come from behind, whereas it won't change UW's approach one way or the other.

Lastly, I think these are the 2 best teams (at least most deserving to be here -- I think both would be dogs to GA), and will be a great game that could easily go either way.  I'm rooting for UW so playing Devil's advocate a bit with you, which seems an easier chore with you portraying the UW trenches as the Little Sisters of the Poor

I think Michigan already played their sloppy game last week.

Washington is yet to do so. I can see them turning the ball over early and trying to fight back with more turnovers happening when they press

32 minutes ago, PopsNW said:

Michigan’s O-Line won that same award last year and the year before with 3 returning starters this year I think….. 

I wouldn’t give any edge to WA along the O-Line, Michigans is just as good, Should be a great game!….

59 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Nobody cares about bowl games. One of his players started the sitting out bowl games(TE forgot his name and don't wanted to look)

Harbaugh came in with a crappy Michigan team and turned them around and has been in 3 straight playoffs.  If he wins the NC he'll be one of two coaches to win the NC at Michigan in the modern era. The other didn't even have to play against the 2nd ranked team that they split with. 

He wins today and he'll do something no coach has done at Michigan. The expectations of Harbaugh by people like you at Michigan aren't realistic because what you're expecting of him has never been done at that school. 

Harbaugh Has Already Done something we haven’t Seen which is Lead a Team to The Super Bowl in the NFL and Lead a Team to The Championship Game in the 4 Team playoff Era….

The only other is Pete Carrol but that was in the BCS ERA with no playoff….