DeBoer to Alabama

HurricaneNick

9 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

Shocking.

Pete Carroll to Arizona???!!!

Domino effect. No surprise whatsoever that Fisch goes to Washington. It’s a no brainer really. He worked a miracle at Arizona and is the coach of the year IMO. But Washington is the better job, especially given Arizona’s financial woes. It will be interesting to see if Fifita and Tmac follow him since those are positions Washington needs to fill.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

Domino effect. No surprise whatsoever that Fisch goes to Washington. It’s a no brainer really. He worked a miracle at Arizona and is the coach of the year IMO. But Washington is the better job, especially given Arizona’s financial woes. It will be interesting to see if Fifita and Tmac follow him since those are positions Washington needs to fill.

None at all. Lots of reasons for the move but it’s now another rebuild job (relatively)when he already had a top 10 preseason team. And what was actually surprising is that his name was nowhere near the Alabama job. 

I’m thinking Brennan Carroll would have the job if he wants it but good chance he follows Fisch to Seattle. That’s a winning ticket I’d hold on to.

• Like 3

Just now, golfaddict1 said:

You mentioned the OC Brennan Carroll above.  Maybe he can take the gig.  

Dream scenario would be Pete takes over the job, everyone else stays, and he grooms his son for a couple years before he retires for good. Lots of balls in the air but common sense and recent history suggest this staff and roster are about to get absolutely gutted and the program will return to where it usually is. The ripple effect of every individual move in today’s game is absolutely bonkers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

Dream scenario would be Pete takes over the job, everyone else stays, and he grooms his son for a couple years before he retires for good. Lots of balls in the air but common sense and recent history suggest this staff and roster are about to get absolutely gutted and the program will return to where it usually is. The ripple effect of every individual move in today’s game is absolutely bonkers.

Agreed.  I’m still bummed about WA’s HC leaving.   

• Like 1

Lots of player support for Carroll and Johnny Nansen, apparently. Nansen just left for Texas but if he came back and Carroll stayed on they’d be just fine. If Carroll gets the job and a lot of talent is going to stay, especially on offense where they already return 8 guys. Anything outside of that and it will take a miracle for a team that was just ranked #9 in the preseason poll to even make a bowl game. Absolutely wild.

The effect the hire will have on Washington seems equally big. If Arizona shits the bed and doesn’t figure out a good hire within a couple days, Washington is gonna score bigly.

17 hours ago, GoBigBlack said:

Fisch apparently walked in and said “I’m going to Washington, not much else to say.” Meeting was three minutes. Word is anywhere from 12-15 players following him. 

I gotta admit, this post shocked me last night.. 

I go away for a day, thinking that in 3 years AZ had gone from hopeless to a team with a legit shot to make the playoffs next year.   And now, a day later, the coach and what sounds like the core of the entire team could be leaving.

I don't know what to make of it.  I'm happy for WA, the same thing kinda happened to them, and I want to see all former Pac12 teams compete well in the B1G.   But man, if this can happen to a team overnight, why would any lower tier program invest to try to build something better?

I don't pretend to have answers, but I have to wonder is this good for the game?

1 hour ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

I gotta admit.  This post shocked me last night.. 

You go away for a day, thinking that in 3 years AZ had gone from hopeless to a team with a legit shot to make the playoffs next year.   And now a day later, the coach and what sounds like the core of the entire team could be leaving.

I don't know what to make of it.  I'm happy for WA, the same thing kinda happened to them, and I want to see all former Pac12 teams compete well in the B1G.   But man, if this can happen to a team overnight, why would any lower tier program invest to try to build something better?

I don't pretend to have answers, but I have to wonder is this good for the game?

Lots of teams, players, fans, coaches, etc… have been screwed over in recent years, but I think this one takes the cake. Crazy situation right now and I feel for those players and fans. 

The ones who hold the purse strings want Brent Brennan, and the players want Johnny Nansen. Supposedly during today’s meeting players pledged to remain at Arizona if they bring him back. And it was the big money players, too. 

Brent Brennan has an offer in hand and sounds like he’s gonna be the guy. I’m hearing they are trying to bring Nansen back as DC/AHC. If that happens it’s a huge middle finger to Jedd Fisch, and Washington could be in for a rough year or two or three.

Now San Jose St gets to handle the Nick Saban hot potato. 

They upgraded massively at OC. I listened to Josh Pate talk about the DC hire and he thinks its a home run hire. Arguably the best receivers coach in the country. Courtney Morgan is elite. Just grabbed the buffalo head coach to be a defensive analyst. I think they’ll look different because they’re going to sling it around yard, but they’ll still dominate. The kids that have jumped in the portal thus far don’t make or break that roster. 10 wins is probably a successful first year to everyone except bama fans. 

On 1/14/2024 at 10:50 AM, GoBigBlack said:

image.gif.aa8b377530aa5857d359c730e8893cc9.gif

Strange reaction for a guy who spent a couple days explaining that he wasn't a fan of the team.

On 12/29/2023 at 8:45 PM, GoBigBlack said:

It doesn’t make me feel anything. I don’t have any ties to the program outside of the money I wager on them. ...