Kelly to Ohio st

HurricaneNick

Unprecedented times we are in. Chip Kelly leaves a power 5 head coaching gig to go be a coordinator. Interviewed for coordinator spots in the league too. Why? New landscape of CFB. You have to re-recruit your own roster every year. Wild Wild West of the portal and NIL. UCLA got killed this off-season. On the contrary, Ohio st is winning the off-season. Ohio state lost the biggest game of the year last season. The Michigan game was the ultimate “skins” game as we say on the course. Win that game and the last 2 years against Michigan are washed with the sign stealing stuff. Would’ve pretty much been recognized by the entire country too. Buckeye collectives said it was unacceptable, loaded up, and look to be rolling into next season as a sure fire top 3 team. Lane Kiffin tweeted that Ohio st spent $13 million to sign this class. Good for them, it’s not NIL, but it isn’t illegal. The difference between those two programs is that one cares about football and one doesn’t. Kelly saw the writing on the wall and knew he couldn't get it done there. You need resources to dominate at this level. His coaches and players were getting poached and he could not stop it. Coaches and players coming to USC. I love it, but that’s crazy. Just shocking to leave a HC gig to go be a coordinator. Rarely you see someone willing take a demotion, but he was tired of it. I bet Day & co will handle the recruiting while Chip just gets to dial it up. We saw the Boston College HC leave to be a coordinator. Harbaugh bolted to the league. Sabans done. Going to be tough for college coaches going forward. Recruiting classes are becoming more and more insignificant because players hop in the portal at the first sign of adversity. Players getting in the portal and committing to rival schools. Strange stuff. I almost feel bad for UCLA, almost. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Unprecedented times we are in. Chip Kelly leaves a power 5 head coaching gig to go be a coordinator. Interviewed for coordinator spots in the league too. Why? New landscape of CFB. You have to re-recruit your own roster every year. Wild Wild West of the portal and NIL. UCLA got killed this off-season. On the contrary, Ohio st is winning the off-season. Ohio state lost the biggest game of the year last season. The Michigan game was the ultimate “skins” game as we say on the course. Win that game and the last 2 years against Michigan are washed with the sign stealing stuff. Would’ve pretty much been recognized by the entire country too. Buckeye collectives said it was unacceptable, loaded up, and look to be rolling into next season as a sure fire top 3 team. Lane Kiffin tweeted that Ohio st spent $13 million to sign this class. Good for them, it’s not NIL, but it isn’t illegal. The difference between those two programs is that one cares about football and one doesn’t. Kelly saw the writing on the wall and knew he couldn't get it done there. His coaches and players were getting poached and he could not stop it. Just shocking to leave a HC gig to go be a coordinator. Rarely you see someone willing take a demotion, but he was tired of it. I bet Day & co will handle the recruiting while Chip just gets to dial it up. We saw the Boston College HC leave to be a coordinator. Harbaugh bolted to the league. Sabans done. Going to be tough for college coaches going forward. Recruiting classes are becoming more and more insignificant because players hop in the portal at the first sign of adversity. Players getting in the portal and committing to rival schools. Strange stuff. I almost feel bad for UCLA, almost. 

I was thinking the same thing when I heard this. The writing was on the wall, he knew that he would have to win 8-9 games next year to keep his job, and after this recruiting cycle he figured that there wasn’t a chance in hell of that happening. So he decided to bail for a semi-sure thing and not have that stain on his resume.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Norcalnut said:

I was thinking the same thing when I heard this. The writing was on the wall, he knew that he would have to win 8-9 games next year to keep his job, and after this recruiting cycle he figured that there wasn’t a chance in hell of that happening. So he decided to bail for a semi-sure thing and not have that stain on his resume.

UCLA’s recruiting under Kelly is worse than it was under Mora & Neuheisel. Lots of teams are getting poached. USC does not pay high school kids, but they will spend on the proven college kids out of the portal. UCLA does neither. Regardless if it is right or wrong, thats the reality of the landscape and you have to pay to compete. It is what it is. Ohio st is going to be nice next year. Big upgrade from Bill O’Brien. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bodysurf said:

Can’t blame Kelly. I’m a Bruin fan but the program is in shambles. It’s sad that an OC position is more attractive, but that is the reality with the pathetic UCLA program. Football is just not important at UCLA.

The administration seems like they want to focus on turning UCLA into Stanford, Duke, Northwestern etc and be noted for academics. There entrance requirements have risen considerably in the past 20 years.

14 minutes ago, Norcalnut said:

The administration seems like they want to focus on turning UCLA into Stanford, Duke, Northwestern etc and be noted for academics. There entrance requirements have risen considerably in the past 20 years.

You mean to tell me a 11% acceptance rate and world renowned academics aren't enough for UCLA? 

23 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

You mean to tell me a 11% acceptance rate and world renowned academics aren't enough for UCLA? 

Historically that works out for non revenue generating sports but not for football. Just look at where the top SEC football schools rate academically.  

34 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Touché 

It’s a great school. At the end of the day that is what ultimately matters. You would think that UCLA would be a magnet for recruits. It boggles my mind why it isn’t. If you are an 18 year old kid, where would you rather live? Columbus or Westwood?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, badrouter said:

This is obviously an embarrassment for UCLA. Leaving for a pro coordinator job makes sense, since he'd escape the transfer portal and NIL lunacy. But, he's not escaping it at OSU.

He could be. Day and Hartline could handle the recruiting, they’ve done a fine job thus far, & chips responsibility could be just to coach them up once they’re on campus. I’m speculating, but looking at his recruiting efforts at UCLA, it’s pretty clear he doesn’t have an interest in it. They signed the 59th best class in the country this year. 

21 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

Touché 

It’s a great school. At the end of the day that is what ultimately matters. You would think that UCLA would be a magnet for recruits. It boggles my mind why it isn’t. If you are an 18 year old kid, where would you rather live? Columbus or Westwood?

I mean my loyalty runs deep... 

So I'm not betraying OSU... 

But from a non-biased standpoint I see what your saying... 

L.A is far more attractive than Columbus

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

He could be. Day and Hartline could handle the recruiting, they’ve done a fine job thus far, & chips responsibility could be just to coach them up once they’re on campus. I’m speculating, but looking at his recruiting efforts at UCLA, it’s pretty clear he doesn’t have an interest in it. They signed the 59th best class in the country this year. 

Yeah, true. He may have even gotten OSU to agree to let him just be OC with no recruiting. Seldom can an OC just not recruit. But, OSU likely has the resources to let one coach slide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bodysurf said:

Touché 

Columbus 

20 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

You must’ve never been to Westwood. One of the wealthiest, cleanest, and safest places in the country. 75 degrees year round and no snow. I guess that isn’t for everybody though. 

It's why I was a UCLA fan when I moved out after graduating from Florida. Couldn't get excited about the school in the 'hood a few miles east 😁

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

You must’ve never been to Westwood. One of the wealthiest, cleanest, and safest places in the country. 75 degrees year round and no snow. I guess that isn’t for everybody though. 

I love the beach.  I have a feeling an Alabama guy who likes to salt water fish, look at the women on the beach and scream roll Tide  would be an outcast in Westwood. 

1 hour ago, HooverOutlaw said:

I love the beach.  I have a feel a redneck who licks to salt walk fish, look at the on the beach and scream roll Tide  would be an outcast in Westwood. 

Not as much as you think. One such guy owns a site called pubclub.com and he's been in south bay of LA, San Diego and on my 30th bday party bus a while back.