BNU Commitments

LiberalDonaldTrump

9 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I find this hard to believe. If he was THAT good, I don't think they'd let him leave so easy. Grades must be an issue.

I mean there’s athletes on Joes that the Parents gotta work 2 jobs to keep their kid in school so I can see where he’s coming from, but you rarely see that happen, usually the school will try to pull some strings especially if your a senior starting LB

1 hour ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

I mean in their defense they can’t create more space that they don’t have without purchasing the neighbors backyards and extending it

@GardenStateBalleris Bergen Catholic the smallest campus In BNU?

As a Bergen alum even I’d be hesitant to call what we have a “campus”...🤷‍♂️

Bergen has already purchased several of the homes adjacent to it.  One of which they use to host tailgates prior to football games. Tough stringing them all together though, and even then it’s not a lot more space, though it will allow a full field and track once it’s all said and done.  Possibly tennis courts as well.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

GSB - what did the article say about the progress of the whole lower level renovation?  Last class chair event I was at recently Mahoney did mention the field renovation, but had nothing to say about the larger project.  I’m assuming the funds just aren’t there.  

That being said from what he said it sounds like we’re doing decently financially - fundraising this year is ahead of where it was last year and endowment has grown a bit as well (though from the amount he said I imagine it’s probably Still well below a lot of our competitors - SHP, SPP, DBP, etc). 

3 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Hearing that the new field is Phase 1 of a few. Nothing was mentioned regarding the grander plans. 

i drove past a couple of days ago, and the turf looks like it was removed, and there was countless big bags of dirt? to the side.  Everything else looks the same.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Hearing that the new field is Phase 1 of a few. Nothing was mentioned regarding the grander plans. 

Mahoney joked that former players have come back to take pieces Of the field out of the garbage bags...had he known he said he would have charged for each piece.  Got a good laugh in the room.  

7 minutes ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

Mahoney joked that former players have come back to take pieces Of the field out of the garbage bags...had he known he said he would have charged for each piece.  Got a good laugh in the room.  

that makes sense.  it probably was the turf ripped up.

do you think that the turf was the turf that was there in '82 when BC and Morgan destroyed us/Marist?  I might grab some to throw at the OL.

My brother lost there in '84 as a Jr to McGovern et al.  Strongest guy he said he ever had to block, and he went against Elnardo Webster and Mark D'Onofrio, who he said were good but presented no problems.

9 hours ago, Testadura said:

do you think that the turf was the turf that was there in '82 when BC and Morgan destroyed us/Marist?  I might grab some to throw at the OL.

My brother lost there in '84 as a Jr to McGovern et al.  Strongest guy he said he ever had to block, and he went against Elnardo Webster and Mark D'Onofrio, who he said were good but presented no problems.

D’Onofrio and Webster were studs that made it to the NFL, so that says a lot about BC.

16 hours ago, Testadura said:

No definitely not from the 80s, since they did a renovation and installed that FieldTurf stuff sometime in the mid-90s when it was cutting edge.  They’ve replaced it once or twice since with new FieldTurf as well I think.

3 hours ago, paladin4ever said:

Btw, not BNU related, but sad to see Marist High School in Bayonne will be closing it’s doors after 75 years. Always a bad thing when school options get more limited for parents. Marist has had some great players over the years.

Erasmus Hall made me look at NYC HSs last night.  Then, I found this book about Frankin K. Lane HS, which was on the border of East NY (Bklyn) and Ozone Park (Queens; Gotti's HS, and the section in which his club was located--Bergin Hunt & Fish).  (Harold Saltzman, teacher and union leader at Lane:  https://www.amazon.com/Race-war-high-school-destruction/dp/0870001701)

My best friend from college went to Lane from '79-83, and his buddies went to John Adams.  Lane was better when he went than it had been in the late '60s due to a lawsuit, but it was on the downhill hard.  He's Italian--I never asked him why he didn't go to a Catholic HS.  I think that that's more of a NJ thing.

It's a travesty what happened to all U.S. city public schools from the '60s onward.  Now, the Catholic School route is closing.  Yet we love kids.

My friend's buddy is the center piece of the following links, which I just attach for ... whatever.  I hung out with the dude 30-40 times (before I was 21), and never knew, except that I knew that he worked for Gotti's ARC plumbing company and that he didn't know the 1st thing about plumbing.  Btw, he wasn't a tough guy.  I don't think that he was much of a fighter (just my guess), and he was a super-nice guy (never saw him in any negative situation):

https://www.foxnews.com/us/man-gets-life-for-jailhouse-killing-of-mobster-who-testified-on-behalf-of-mafia-heir

https://af11.wordpress.com/tag/joseph-okane-death/

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/killed-in-prison-joe-okan_b_730598

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

#transfers!

Saw a soph rb last year play sparingly..dodnt do much but too early to tell

they had 2 soph RBs last season, Hudson and Laracuente.  Hudson was mentioned in Pat Rice's pre-season write-up as likely to see some playing time, but when Monangi went down it was Laracuente who saw a bit of action.  Time will tell.

• Thanks 1