BNU Commitments

LiberalDonaldTrump

Friday, August 28 at Charlotte Catholic (North Carolina), 7:30 p.m.

Saturday, Sept. 5 vs. Imhotep Charter (Pennsylvania), 1 p.m.

Bye

Saturday, Sept. 19 vs. Cardinal Hayes (NY) in Battle of the Bridge, TBA

Saturday, Sept. 26 vs. St. Peter’s Prep, 1 p.m.

Friday, Oct. 2 at Paramus Catholic, 6 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 10 vs. Don Bosco, 1 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 17 at Seton Hall Prep, 1 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 24 at St. Joe’s, 1 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 31 vs. DePaul, 1 p.m.

• Thanks 2

Cooper is such an ass hat...first 4 games are monsters...I only See SPP.....imotep or cardinal hayes...even the carolina team...come on cooper

Analysis

If I were doing rankings right now of the North Jersey football superpowers, I would list St. Peter’s Prep 1 and Bergen Catholic 1A. Something about the way the Crusaders finished the season with a loss to Don Bosco makes me think they will be primed and motivated for a big 2020 and I just like what they have back and it’s also time that Bergen Catholic had a relatively healthy season on the injury front.

Last year, Bergen Catholic finished 5-4, losing in the first round of the playoffs for the first time since 2006.

The Crusaders return one of North Jersey’s top young recruits in quarterback Steven Angeli and recently got a transfer in Jayden Bellamy, a big-time defensive back.

(When we were doing the All-New Jersey team for the USA Today Network, we may have spent the most time debating Bellamy, so that’s where I first heard about him).

Not to mention stud defensive lineman Tywone Malone and running back Ryan Butler.

My first thought in looking at the schedule is, well, I guess they couldn’t pull off St. Thomas Aquinas from Florida. Remember the Crusaders were heading to Florida to play the Raiders last year, but canceled the trip because of a hurricane. I know there was some talk/hope that St. Thomas Aquinas would come up to New Jersey and play this year, but it doesn’t look like it’s happening this year. The Raiders finished 13-0 last year and fourth in the nation.

So in steps Charlotte Catholic. They are the Cougars, finished 12-3 last year (remember, New Jersey coaches think 12 or 13 games is too many -- I guess North Carolina kids are tougher). They won a seven (yes, seven) overtime game in last year’s North Carolina playoffs and won the 3A North Carolina title for the third year in a row.

Charlotte Catholic has an enrollment of over 1200 according to Google. The Cougars have a talented running back in Paul Neel coming back. Interesting though, the Cougars roster on MaxPreps from last year only had 61 kids. Bergen’s had 81.

I’m pretty sure the Crusaders have never played Charlotte Catholic before. And I know it’s debatable, but I think having all summer to prepare and practice for the Cougars is a big advantage for Bergen. I’m not sure, but Charlotte Catholic will probably have played a game before it plays Bergen.

In his two years at Bergen Catholic, coach Vito Campanile is 3-0 against teams from out-of-state.

In Week 1 (even though it’s the second week of the season, silly New Jersey rules), the Crusaders get a return game with Imhotep, who they played last year in Philly and beat 25-6, although I would tell you the game was closer than that. Imhotep had some serious speed and talent on the field.

After that, it’s the usual gauntlet for the Crusaders. They get New York power Cardinal Hayes in the Battle of the Bridge II and then go up against the defending New Jersey Non-Public Group 4 champs in St. Peter’s Prep at home. So the first four games are monsters for Bergen Catholic. If they are 3-0 going into that St. Peter’s game….which I think they could be (I love looking ahead even though coaches never do), that would make that game against St. Peter’s a big one.

The best news of all for Bergen Catholic is that with the weather cooperating, there will be a new plush turf field for the Crusaders to play on this fall. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SJR89 said:

Friday, August 28 at Charlotte Catholic (North Carolina), 7:30 p.m.

Saturday, Sept. 5 vs. Imhotep Charter (Pennsylvania), 1 p.m.

Bye

Saturday, Sept. 19 vs. Cardinal Hayes (NY) in Battle of the Bridge, TBA

Saturday, Sept. 26 vs. St. Peter’s Prep, 1 p.m.

Friday, Oct. 2 at Paramus Catholic, 6 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 10 vs. Don Bosco, 1 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 17 at Seton Hall Prep, 1 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 24 at St. Joe’s, 1 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 31 vs. DePaul, 1 p.m.

The headline on the previous post said that Bergen is opening up their schedule in the Queen City. Always thought the Queen City was Cincinnati

3 hours ago, SJR89 said:

Cooper is such an ass hat...first 4 games are monsters...I only See SPP.....imotep or cardinal hayes...even the carolina team...come on cooper

Analysis

If I were doing rankings right now of the North Jersey football superpowers, I would list St. Peter’s Prep 1 and Bergen Catholic 1A. Something about the way the Crusaders finished the season with a loss to Don Bosco makes me think they will be primed and motivated for a big 2020 and I just like what they have back and it’s also time that Bergen Catholic had a relatively healthy season on the injury front.

Last year, Bergen Catholic finished 5-4, losing in the first round of the playoffs for the first time since 2006.

Didn't Bergen actually finish the season with two losses?

But at least the North Carolina school and Cardinal Hayes are better than Irvington and Pope John, even if still not national powers. 

MD lesson learned...

p.s. would someone post the joes schedule?

Former Standout SJR football player and current LAX star at Duke...JT Giles-Harris will enter the transfer portal to play football next season on the Division One level after he finishes his career at Duke this year.....Kid is a baller and he is giving up some money as he will be a TOP 3 draft pick in either Lax pro draft...PLL or MLL......

below are highlights....the first game is the national championship vs Yale...JT is covering #2 Ben Reeves....from Yale ...the best offensive player on the planer in 2018......

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SJR89 said:

Former Standout SJR football player and current LAX star at Duke...JT Giles-Harris will enter the transfer portal to play football next season on the Division One level after he finishes his career at Duke this year.....Kid is a baller and he is giving up some money as he will be a TOP 3 draft pick in either Lax pro draft...PLL or MLL......

below are highlights....the first game is the national championship vs Yale...JT is covering #2 Ben Reeves....from Yale ...the best offensive player on the planer in 2018......

Rutgers?

That would be obvious...but not sure....if he wants a guarantee to play....he might think about a top 1-AA program...James MAdison or Richmond...I remember Towson was all over him back in the day for football....kids gonna have some good choices....Great kid ...Great Family....

5 hours ago, SJR89 said:

That would be obvious...but not sure....if he wants a guarantee to play....he might think about a top 1-AA program...James MAdison or Richmond...I remember Towson was all over him back in the day for football....kids gonna have some good choices....Great kid ...Great Family....

What’s his stats? Height and weight?

1 hour ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

SJR Great Fossati has accepted a job at Rutgers 

@SJR 04 @SJR89

he made one of the best plays I've ever seen in a HSFB game when he stripped the ball from a BC RB and returned it for a TD in a game at SJR a number of years back.  As I recall, it was a huge moment in what I think was either a playoff game or a #1 vs #2 game.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, taojoe said:

he made one of the best plays I've ever seen in a HSFB game when he stripped the ball from a BC RB and returned it for a TD in a game at SJR a number of years back.  As I recall, it was a huge moment in what I think was either a playoff game or a #1 vs #2 game.  

Regular season rivalry game .. stripped from BC QB Germano ( Hopkins ) and ran back 70yards .... was an insane moment in now what has become regular insanity when these two play ...

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1