Some California news

Ararar

1 minute ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Wil Norco and Cen10 play each other eventually? 

Yes.  It’s a league game.  Norco should be 8-0 at that time and Cen10 likely 7-0 unless they miraculously pick up a game.  I would say Norco is going to be a bigger challenge than Cathedral or Sierra Canyon.  

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Pitt QB is not accurate in the pocket, but does seem to get better when flushed out.  Their WRs remind me of a quote from an NFL player:

”In college, you have receivers who are fast, but can’t catch and those who can catch, but aren’t fast.  In the NFL, everyone can catch and is fast.”  

I don’t know how many passes I saw bounce right out of Pirate receiver hands.

For the life of me, I can’t understand why they can’t adjust to the blitz.  It’s like they will always just run what is called, regardless of the defensive look.

Folsom executed reasonably well, but they’d struggle against athletic teams that actually know what they’re doing. Centennial would beat them by 2-3 scores.

This game made me even more disappointed in the Serra fiasco than I was before, but I am looking forward to the Pitt-Valley Christian game.  I’m not sure the Pirates win that one.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Ararar said:

Mater Dei cornerback Domani Jackson, a USC commit and one of the top football prospects in the nation, has a knee injury that might require surgery that would end his season.

That sucks. Story confirmed on USA Today.

https://usatodayhss.com/2021/mater-dei-high-school-football-domani-jackson-injury

With Jackson in backfield, hands-down MD has best D in the nation. Secondary is loaded so not end-of-world, but Domani was so versatile (lockdown best receiver, physical run-tackler on perimeter and deep safety on any/all kickoffs, not to mention 5️/4yr starter, Captain and leader of Secondary).

His loss will be felt, ESP when they play Servite w/ Tetairoa McMillan at receiver (4️, #1 WR in CA, 2022). Their matchups have been epic, someone else on MD will need to step up.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

That sucks. Story confirmed on USA Today.

https://usatodayhss.com/2021/mater-dei-high-school-football-domani-jackson-injury

With Jackson in backfield, hands-down MD has best D in the nation. Secondary is loaded so not end-of-world, but Domani was so versatile (lockdown best receiver, physical tackler on perimeter and deep safety on any/all kickoffs).

His loss will be felt, ESPECIALLY when they play Servite w/ Tetairoa McMillan at receiver (4️, #1 WR in CA, 2022). Their matchups have been epic, someone else on MD will need to step up.  

The MD #2 will now be the one responsible for holding TMac on every play. 

the only question is will the MD  #2 guy break Jackson’s  state record of 6 def holding flags in a single game 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

The MD #2 will now be the one responsible for holding TMac on every play. 

the only question is will the MD  #2 guy break Jackson’s  state record of 6 def holding flags in a single game 

True that. saw that game…couple of those calls were questionable. TMac is scary tho, but with Domani you could live with the penalties to not have him get going and we didn’t have to bring a safety over top.

Who’s got the speed/height on MD to stick with him? Hunter is too small, Sydney isn’t fast enough. Might have to scheme. 

35 minutes ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

Who’s got the speed/height on MD to stick with him? 

Sophomore Zabien Brown. Get use to the name. He played sparingly as a freshman but already has an Alabama offer. Losing Jackson is a huge loss but there is a lot of talent on the roster. 
This is reminiscent of the 2019 season when both of MD’s starting corners, Elias Ricks and Darion Green-Warren transferred out before the season. They were just fine as both Domani Jackson and Jaylin Davies filled in nicely. But it finally cost them in the end when they had multiple injuries and not enough depth and had to play a make-shift secondary.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

True that. saw that game…couple of those calls were questionable. TMac is scary tho, but with Domani you could live with the penalties to not have him get going and we didn’t have to bring a safety over top.

Who’s got the speed/height on MD to stick with him? Hunter is too small, Sydney isn’t fast enough. Might have to scheme. 

Sidney is our best cover guy. Plays with swagger and instincts. Zabien brown will be the best DB to come through MD. He’s ahead of where Domani was as a sophomore. I’d have him play on Tmac. He started against Bosco as a freshman and killed it. Domani is an athletic freak and will be missed but the unit will be fine. Freshman CB Daryus Dixon and sophomore CB Jisiah Sanford looked great against Cen10 and DV. Marco Coleman is also one to keep an eye on. Not worried about this one too much, just feel horrible he’s missing out on his senior year. MD front 7 makes it easier for the backend. 

• Like 2

CalHi ranking 

Folsom is moving up to 6 while Norco will be 7 according to the write up

1. Mater Dei (Santa Ana) 1-0
Did not play. The Monarchs had one of their byes that couldn’t be filled. They will play next week at the Polynesian Football Classic in Las Vegas vs. Liberty (Henderson, Nev.).

2. St. John Bosco (Bellflower) 3-0
Defeated Bishop Amat (La Puente) 47-7. The visiting Lancers had a tough time with the Bosco offense after it was held to unusually low 24 points in previous outing. Running back Jabari Bates rushed for 175 yards and three TDs.

3. Servite (Anaheim) 2-0
Did not play. After wins vs. Edison of Huntington Beach and Mission Viejo, the Friars have a bye this week. They will face Bishop Amat (La Puente) next Thursday in a rescheduled matchup from Week 0.

http://48qadq2jyws833se8p1kfibw14nx-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Cooper-Flanagan-200.jpg

De La Salle junior TE Cooper Flanagan committed to Notre Dame last week. Photo: Twitter.com.

4. De La Salle (Concord) 2-0
Defeated Monterey Trail (Elk Grove) 68-6. Charles Greer returned the opening kickoff for a 69-yard touchdown as the Spartans roared out of the gates fast (which is what they didn’t do in first game). 

5. Centennial (Corona) 2-0
Defeated No. 6 Sierra Canyon (Chatsworth) 35-14 on Saturday at the Honor Bowl. Junior Jayson Cortes rushed for 216 yards and three TDs, but it was a 59-yard TD run by sophomore Cornell Hatcher in the third quarter that broke a 14-14 tie. The Centennial defense also kept getting 3-and-outs in the second half that was a huge factor.

6. Sierra Canyon (Chatsworth) 2-1
LOST to No. 5 Centennial (Corona) 35-14 on Saturday. Sophomore LB Carmel Crunk scored on a interception return just before halftime that tied the score. Most of the Trailblazers’ defensive secondary was out in the second half, but to all at the game the offensive line needed to create more room in the running game to match what Centennial was doing.

7. Folsom 3-0
Defeated No. 11 Pittsburg 38-17 on Saturday. The move to Saturday from Friday was because the Bulldogs had a game last Monday night vs. Jesuit of Carmichael. QB Tyler Tremain continued his outstanding season with five TD passes to five different receivers. On Oct. 1, Folsom will host De La Salle.

8. Norco 3-0
Playing Rancho Cucamonga 62-28. The Cougars clobbered a Rancho Cucamonga squad that had won its opener against Apple Valley (a team that beat Murrieta Valley on Friday). To put it more simple: impressive.

9. Los Alamitos 3-0
Defeated Paramount 50-0. So far, the Griffins have a blowout, a close game (vs. San Diego Lincoln) and a blowout. The pattern may continue next Friday at state-ranked Buchanan in a game we will attend.

10. Serra (San Mateo) 1-0
Defeated Palo Alto 41-14. It was 41-0 at halftime before the Vikings scored twice in the second half vs. second-stringers.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

Sidney is our best cover guy. Plays with swagger and instincts. Zabien brown will be the best DB to come through MD. He’s ahead of where Domani was as a sophomore. I’d have him play on Tmac. He started against Bosco as a freshman and killed it. Domani is an athletic freak and will be missed but the unit will be fine. Freshman CB Daryus Dixon and sophomore CB Jisiah Sanford looked great against Cen10 and DV. Marco Coleman is also one to keep an eye on. Not worried about this one too much, just feel horrible he’s missing out on his senior year. MD front 7 makes it easier for the backend. 

Good stuff Nick. Agree, front 7 helps make a symbiotic circle w/ secondary. 

(unrelated) Will there be Playoffs this year? If so, is Open-division bracket 8 teams? Right now, it’s looking like MD might end up w/ Cent10 anyway assuming we take care of business in TL and Cent does same in their league. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

Will there be Playoffs this year? If so, is Open-division bracket 8 teams? Right now, it’s looking like MD might end up w/ Cent10 anyway assuming we take care of business in TL and Cent does same in their league. 

Yes. 8 teams open division. Cen10 will be a tough out for anybody.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

True that. I was referring to fact MD is presently clear #1 seed and Cent is #4. I think Servite is better than Cent, but would love hear other opinions…

Unless there are upsets, Servite finishes regular season with 2 loses. If Cen10 is undefeated they are #3 seed. Los Al should enter the playoffs undefeated also because of their pathetic schedule. Cen10’s toughest game before playoffs will be Norco

4 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

Unless there are upsets, Servite finishes regular season with 2 loses. If Cen10 is undefeated they are #3 seed. Los Al should enter the playoffs undefeated also because of their pathetic schedule. Cen10’s toughest game before playoffs will be Norco

Doesn’t Calpreps determine scoring for seedings? I don’t see Cent jumping Servite in scoring based on record alone due to SOS and assuming Servite enters playoffs w 2 losses. I predict Servite will have #3 seed and prob rightfully so. 

3 minutes ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

Doesn’t Calpreps determine scoring for seedings? I don’t see Cent jumping Servite in scoring based on record alone due to SOS and assuming Servite enters playoffs w 2 losses. I predict Servite will have #3 seed and prob rightfully so. 

That is correct about Calpreps. What you say could very well happen. But Cen10 has a strong strength of schedule so it would surprise me if a 2 loss Servite ended up higher than undefeated Cen10. But who the hell knows 😉

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

That is correct about Calpreps. What you say could very well happen. But Cen10 has a strong strength of schedule so it would surprise me if a 2 loss Servite ended up higher than undefeated Cen10. But who the hell knows 😉

Fair enough. I main point here was actually covered in @Sammyswordsman Tier thread.

Cent10 is good and I don’t think there’s a two-tier difference between them and Servite. that’s like saying MV is only one-tier lower than Servite, which has already been proven false. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bodysurf said:

100% agree. But who do you think are 5-8 in the Open? I maybe should have said Mission Viejo instead of Mission League winner. But getting destroyed by Servite hurts them.

I don’t think there should be 5-8 in the open bracket.  It takes away from a more compelling 1A bracket.  Same goes for up North.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

Cent10 is good and I don’t think there’s a two-tier difference between them and Servite. that’s like saying MV is only one-tier lower than Servite, which has already been proven false. 

Sooooo, if there are clearly “tiers”, why not just set playoff brackets that emulate the tiers.  Should Tier 1 teams be allowed to play Tier 4 teams in playoffs?

4 minutes ago, On2whls said:

Sooooo, if there are clearly “tiers”, why not just set playoff brackets that emulate the tiers.  Should Tier 1 teams be allowed to play Tier 4 teams in playoffs?

Because, stuff is tilted. Ideally, teams play in same tiers (I.e., purpose of divisions). MD and SJB break the system logic- hence the cause/effect for open division. 

this convo is better suited for the Tiers discussion. But I’m with you on the curiosity/sentiment.