All time tournament

Columbiafan

1980 Moeller (Faust’s last year before going to Notre Dame). Second best high school team I’ve ever seen.  ‘76 was suppose to be better.

1997 Hampton (Ronald Curry’s jr year)(best high school team I’ve ever seen).

1998 Central Bucks West (serious argument for best PA team ever).

Early ‘90’s St. Ignatius

I saw Valdosta beat Clarke Central in late ‘80’s but unsure which year.

Southlake Carroll with Todd Dodge was seriously good as was a Manatee team in the late ‘90’s/early 2000.

I saw all of the teams above in person.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

1980 Moeller (Faust’s last year before going to Notre Dame). Second best high school team I’ve ever seen.  ‘76 was suppose to be better.

1997 Hampton (Ronald Curry’s jr year)(best high school team I’ve ever seen).

1998 Central Bucks West (serious argument for best PA team ever).

Early ‘90’s St. Ignatius

Southlake Carroll with Todd Dodge was seriously good as was a Manatee team in the late ‘90’s/early 2000.

I saw all of the teams above in person.

Those 80s/early 90s Valdosta-Clarke Central (and Warner Robins too) games were good.

All had legendary HCs --- Valdostas Nick Hyder, Clarke Centrals Billy Henderson, and Warner Robins Robert Davis...

If you are talking late 80s, it couldve been one of these games...

1986: Valdosta 28, Clarke Central 0 in the State Title game... Valdosta won the USAToday MNC

1989: Valdosta 33, Clarke Central 13 in the State Title game ... Valdosta finished #11 @ USAToday

They also played in 1990, in the Semifinals.... Valdosta won 8-0 and finished #8 @ USAToday

And again in 1992, Valdosta won 17-14 in the State Title game... Valdosta finished #2 @ USAToday... But was robbed of the MNC by Berwick PA. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

This pine Forest team was very good 

But i don't know anything about the Cali team

What can you all fill me in about them

Prep Football Roundup : Two 4th-Quarter Touchdowns Give El Toro Comeback Victory

September 05, 1986|KEITH GROLLER
    •  
    •  

Fans packed 5,000-seat Zephyr Stadium in Allentown, Pa., an hour before the kickoff of Thursday night's game between Whitehall High School and El Toro, anticipating the first-ever meeting of high school football teams from California and Pennsylvania.

Several hours later, the overflow crowd of 6,500 left wondering why schools from these states, considered two of the nation's hotbeds of prep football, hadn't met before.

Scott Miller caught a 15-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Bret Johnson with 26 seconds remaining, and Chris Sekeres kicked the extra point to give El Toro a 20-19 victory.

"You can't ask for anything more than this," said El Toro Coach Bob Johnson after his team scored two touchdowns in the last four minutes.

pixel.gif

"I haven't been in a game with this kind of emotion in our area, even during the (Southern Section) playoffs. They go crazy for football around here. You had to be there to believe it."

Whitehall took a 19-7 lead with 8:40 left when Joe Tatasciore scored on a one-yard run.

"We feel that when you can throw the ball like we can, you're never out of a game," Johnson said. "We were in a deep hole, down 19-7, but we weren't too worried, because we know we're capable of striking quickly."

The Chargers did just that. Bret Johnson, the coach's son who had thrown for more than 2,000 yards as a sophomore, connected with Miller for a 27-yard gain to set up Scott Ross' one-yard run to make it 19-13 with 3:59 remaining.

Then the El Toro defense, which appeared battered and fatigued in the second half, stopped Whitehall on downs on its next possession. The Chargers got the ball back at their own 34-yard line with 1:43 left.

Soon thereafter, Johnson launched a 40-yard pass to Miller down the sideline to move El Toro to the Whitehall 15 with 40 seconds left. On the next play, Johnson found Miller deep in the end zone and hit him with a perfect pass just above the reach of the Whitehall defenders.

Whitehall had one last chance, but quarterback Mark Beidleman was sacked and had the ball stripped out of his hands by El Toro tackle Scott Spalding. The Chargers recovered.

"I really thought we overpowered them up front, but those two guys (Johnson and Miller) just beat us with big plays at the end," Whitehall Coach Joe Gerencser said. "It's been a long time since there has been crying in a Whitehall locker room, as there is tonight. But our kids played with a lot of pride, and they played hard and well."

Johnson completed 18 of 37 passes for 209 yards and 2 touchdowns, and Miller had 10 receptions for 157 yards and 1 touchdown. Whitehall rushed for 179 yards, and El Toro had 98 yards on the ground.

• Like 1

The best interstate game pre 2000 was in 1982 at Kings Island when Moeller (year after Faust left for Notre Dame) beat Anaheim, CA Servite and Steve Beuerlein 28-15.  Servite led for part of the game when Moeller took over in the 4th quarter.  Moeller finished #1 in USA Today’s first poll and Servite #4.  That Servite team is thought of as one of the best teams ever out of Southern CA.  Moeller sent 26 players to college on scholarship that year with 14 going to major 1A schools.  I will make the serious argument that Gerry Faust’s Moeller from 1976 to the ‘82 team ( year after he left) were the equal of any high school football teams anywhere, ever.  Five national championships in seven years and, from memory, 105 out of 107 victories losing only to Massillon in the Ohio state championship game and Princeton, a local rival.  Along the way they beat top teams from CA (Servite), TX (Dallas Jesuit), FL (Christopher Columbus), VA (Hampton Bethel), DeMatha, Brother Rice and Erie Cathedrsl Prep.  ALL of these schools were among their state’s best at the time.

Nobody else was playing national games at the time.

And, there were six Ohio state championships in seven years.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2018 at 5:47 PM, Columbiafan said:

Hey GA guys

What can you tell me about this Valdosta team?

I believe they won national championship this year but that's the extent of my awareness for 86 Valdosta 

1986 Valdosta Results: Outscored opponents 469-77 (31.27 - 5.13) or by an average MoV of 26.13 ppg. Never gave up more than 16 points in a single game & only gave up more than 7 points 3 times in 15 games.

def. LaGrange 16-6 (LaGrange was Preseason #1 in GA)

def. Fulton 30-6

def. Waycross 31-0

def. Leon (Tallahassee) FL 28-3

def. Tift Co. 35-14

def. Dougherty 24-0

def. Westover 58-13

def. Colquitt Co. 26-6

def. Monroe 43-0

def. Lowndes 17-6

--- Playoffs ---

def. Tift Co. 28-16

def. Lowndes 28-0

def. Carver-Columbus 28-0

def. Bradwell Institute 49-7

def. Clarke Central 28-0. This was GA #1 vs GA #2

• Like 1

On 4/8/2018 at 7:39 PM, BigDrop said:

1980 Moeller (Faust’s last year before going to Notre Dame). Second best high school team I’ve ever seen.  ‘76 was suppose to be better. Way back before the internet in the 80's I did not follow hs football but the one team that I did know about and their reputation was Moeller.

1997 Hampton (Ronald Curry’s jr year)(best high school team I’ve ever seen). I think Curry was one of the best athlete's ever at the hs level 

1998 Central Bucks West (serious argument for best PA team ever). Didn't this team have a beast by the name of Dustin Picciotti at RB. They were nationally ranked a few times back then and then fell off the map same with Berwick. 

Early ‘90’s St. Ignatius

Southlake Carroll with Todd Dodge was seriously good as was a Manatee team in the late ‘90’s/early 2000.I saw all of the teams above in person. A friend of mine son played for Dodge during their streak in the mid 2000 's. Said it was the best time of his life.

I'm a little late to the party but above is my recollection

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1