MaxPreps Preseason top 100

eddiev

9 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Not sure how you can say that about Rome since it hasnt been proven.

I guess you didnt see them beat Buford 45-7 ... Their worse arse kicking in almost a half century. They did have good depth on the DL. I go back to seeing Buford almost knock off a team, South Pointe SC, that finished in most every Top 25 last year... And even some Top 10s.

Unfortunately, Rome lost their entire DL to graduation... But they do get a chance to prove themselves vs. a 7A team in the 1st game of the year.

TheresΒ a few teams out there that do get by with very little depth. Its unusual at the highest level,Β but not impossible.Β 

Rome last year wouldve played with anyone in GA. Bar none. Maybe not every year, but last year Romes chemistry was off the chart... And their talent was in perfect spots. This year they'll haveΒ to rely on offense more... As they return 8 on O... And Knox Kadum is a very experienced leader for thatΒ team.Β 

Rome vs Marietta should tell us a lot. Marietta plays Good Counsel MD the very next week.

Β 

Β 

No doubt there is exceptions. I'm not saying there isn't. I'm coming from the viewpoint of "in general". Every year polls like CP and MP have 15-20 questionable depth teams in their top 100. All these are doing is corrupting the S.O.S. and giving teams boosts in that department. It all seems pretty agenda driven and nefarious considering these types of teams are playing mostly among themselves and getting these boosts. If they were once per year playing a good depth squad and proving it, then no one could complain.Β 

Β 

I like the Buford vs Archer match up this year. Teams like Buford that get attention in the polls and have that type of starting roster should have at least one game like that in their pre-region, every year. It takes away anyone's questions about whether they can keep up with the depth.Β 

26 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Β 

Β 

No doubt there is exceptions. I'm not saying there isn't. I'm coming from the viewpoint of "in general". Every year polls like CP and MP have 15-20 questionable depth teams in their top 100. All these are doing is corrupting the S.O.S. and giving teams boosts in that department. It all seems pretty agenda driven and nefarious considering these types of teams are playing mostly among themselves and getting these boosts. If they were once per year playing a good depth squad and proving it, then no one could complain.Β 

Β 

I like the Buford vs Archer match up this year. Teams like Buford that get attention in the polls and have that type of starting roster should have at least one game like that in their pre-region, every year. It takes away anyone's questions about whether they can keep up with the depth.Β 

Let me give you an example of why CP has questionable depth teams...

Texas is a good state to look at for this. Sometimes CP will rank TX 3A and 4A teams very high... And those teams will stay that way, because those Classes within Texas have been over scaled vs. the larger classes. Those 3A and 4A teams dont play other large class schools (with the exception of 1 or 2 games), which leads to the classes continuing to be scaled incorrectly....

And those small schools score a lot of points... Which is what CP is based on ... So it makes them APPEAR as good as the larger schools until the teams meet on the field.

For example ...

Euless Trinity could beat Team AΒ from Class 3A 42-0 ... While Team B from Class 3A could also beat Team A from Class 3A 42-0... This gives CalPreps the illusion that Euless TrinityΒ and Team B from 3A are on somewhat equal ground ... But in reality, because of depth and style of play/physicality , Euless Trinity would pummel Team B 28-0 themselves. However, those 2 wont play so the scale never evens itself out.

Which is why I dont like teams like Folsom ... Folsom is built to score points vs. inferior teams and it makes them look better than they are. But put a team with equal talent, and an actual defense up against them and they all the sudden look very average.

Its all about style of play ... A lot of times theres no difference in a good offensive team (Folsom for this example)Β beating one team by 28 points (say 52-24) ... And a good defensive team beating that same opponent by 14 points (say 21-7) .... That 28 point win is no better than the 14 point win, because the opponent will have just as hard of a time scoring 14 points on the defensive team as they will 28 points vs the offensive team. ... Hopefully that makes sense.

The example above in 1 flaw in CP, in that it favors offensive teams and scoring a lot of points over defensive teams. The offensive team and defensive team could have the same regular season opponents all 10 games ... Both go 10-0, and the defensive team actually be the better team ifΒ the 2 met on the field, but the offensive team will be ranked higher simply bc they beat teams by more points.

I brought this last paragraph up, because its what some of those smaller Texas schools do, theyll win games 72-0... 63-14 ... Etc.. And then all the sudden you see they lose 24-21 to a larger class team that hasnt been beating teams by 56 points every week, so they arent ranked as high. And yes, theres a cap ... But that doesnt help as much as youd think.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

Buford vs. FL 8A Deerfield Beach should be pretty good too. I think they are a Title contender along with teams like Dr. Phillips, Apopka, Wekiva, etc...

1 minute ago, LiberalDonaldTrump said:

Cmon just cause they got manhandled by SJR and lost by 2 scores to STAΒ 

Β 

Doesn’t mean they are not impressiveΒ 

Β 

Β 

shit colquit had more loses to worse teams so is it fair to say Colquit County was not impressive last year

45194709-1128-419A-986C-E02E5C7353A2.gif

SJR is one of the little depth squads that I'm on about.Β 

And DFB lost to them.Β 

Yep. Not impressed at all.

11 minutes ago, LiberalDonaldTrump said:

Cmon just cause they got manhandled by SJR and lost by 2 scores to STAΒ 

Β 

Doesn’t mean they are not impressiveΒ 

Β 

Β 

shit colquit had more loses to worse teams so is it fair to say Colquit County was not impressive last year

45194709-1128-419A-986C-E02E5C7353A2.gif

Colquitt had losses to worse teams? Brookwood, Tift, Lowndes, and North Gwinnett are worse teams?Β 

Youre fucking drunk... Go sleep it off.

Grayson handled DFB 39-14 the year before... Really 39-7 as DFB added a garbage TD.

43 minutes ago, LiberalDonaldTrump said:

Yes STA SJR> those teamsΒ 

Not last year.

Β 

The It :Β 42-25

Β 

Truly its too bad SJR is playing AHP and not a GA team. For GA and NJ to play 2 games in 1 year wouldve been great. Especially the #1 and #2 NJ teams.Β 

19 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

They have four, high-profileΒ ballers: Hickman, Roberson, Toure and Conti. MayΒ have a solid group underclassmen on the rise.Β 

Toure is long gone - he was at Paramus Catholic a second time and he is now at Irvington.Β Β 

3 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I remember watching some Saguaro film and thinking they looked great, but then you kept banging on them so I decided I shouldn't pay that much attention to them anymore.Β 

Having another year of poll watching and football watching under my belt, I really have begun thinking that pollsters are throwing the little schools a bone and that's the jist of it.Β 

I can't see them week in and week out, beating the big schools. They don't have the depth, which means they don't have the legs to stay in.Β 

Obviously the polls aren't about who we think would beat who. I kind of wonder what they really are about anymore.Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

The reality of Saguaro football is pretty clearly summed up by this-from 2011 to 2015 they lost nine games. Of those losses seven were to Class 5A or 6A teams in their home state. The two seasons since then they haven't scheduled a single in-state team from the two higher divisions, though last year their two OOS games were against teams that would be 5A/6A teams if they were in Arizona. And they were handled in both games.

This will likely be the year that they break through in that category but it's almost certain to be due to strategic scheduling; Chaparral and Desert Mountain are essentially the same team Β (near-.500 6A ball clubs that have supposed elite QBs-Chap's QB has committed to Ohio State, DM's to USC), and frankly I don't think Liberty and Helix are anything special. At the same time I also think at least one of those teams will commit to grinding the ball all game and will take them out.

Saguaro has a lot of talent but unless you're digging deep you don't fully realize how raw that talent is-Somerville is a soph d-end that 1) has offers; and 2) had all of 12 tackles last year. Their QB has an IU offer after throwing the ball twice all last season. Covington played JV ball most of the year at Chandler and has suddenly become an SEC recruit. Then there's the fact that they've had a rush of kids committing past few weeks to non-descript schools like San Jose State, Air Force, and Brown-I understand these are just verbals at this point but it seems early in the process to be calling it a day with your recruiting when potential for bigger offers is still out there. Of course they may be getting advised that bigger offers aren't coming, Β in which case I ask why are pumping up a third-division team from a non-power state that 1) doesn't play the best big schools in its state; 2) only plays middle of the road OOS opponents; and 3) sends most of its next level talent to mediocre non-Power 5 programs or FCS schools?

Once again, a kid that played JV ball for the Arizona 6A champs is now a surefire D-1 recruit at a different program being hyped as possibly the most talented team in Arizona history. Something doesn't add up here.

Β 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

My bad. Heard he had returned to DP.Β Any idea howΒ any pollster couldΒ have DP ranked as a Top 20 team in America?Β 

Absolutely none. Makes no sense.

The 4 main polls so far have DP ...Β 

ECHS05 Top 130: #74

MaxPreps Top 100: #35

CalPreps: #70

HSFA: #13

Β 

And NJ in the Top 100 ...

HSFA is clearly going Jersey heavy at the Top ...

8. Bergen Catholic

13. DePaul

18. St. Joseph Regional

72. St. Peter's Prep

Β 

ECHS Top 130

18. Bergen Catholic

21. St. Joseph Regional

52. St. Peter's Prep

74. DePaul

Β 

CalPreps

41. Bergen Catholic

54. St. Peter's Prep

70. DePaul

Β 

MaxPreps

23. Bergen Catholic

35. DePaul

49. St. Joseph Regional

68. St. Peter's Prep

42 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

According to @PJRΒ s team review he just posted on his site,Β DePaul only has six starters returning. Three each on O and D. The world of hsfb is being duped.Β 

If you figure in the transfers who started at their former schools, you've got 3Β or 4Β additional starters returning.Β  That would make 10 or 11 starters back -- not bad.

Plus there were other players back who sawΒ a lot of action last year who are movingΒ up to starting...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

Absolutely none. Makes no sense.

The 4 main polls so far have DP ...Β 

ECHS05 Top 130: #74

MaxPreps Top 100: #35

CalPreps: #70

HSFA: #13

Β 

And NJ in the Top 100 ...

HSFA is clearly going Jersey heavy at the Top ...

8. Bergen Catholic

13. DePaul

18. St. Joseph Regional

72. St. Peter's Prep

Β 

ECHS Top 130

18. Bergen Catholic

21. St. Joseph Regional

52. St. Peter's Prep

74. DePaul

Β 

CalPreps