Pretty much everyone here knows who Katy is...

TigerHat

Katy (TX) has been a very strong team for more than 20 years - they have played in 13 Texas state championship games in that period - winning 7 of them, and 3 of their undefeated teams have been called a mythical National Championship team by some rating system. This year's team is once again a very strong team - the CalPreps computer says #43 out of the 14,000+ high school teams in the country. The truth is that computer has had them consistently under rated for years; for example it projected Katy would win its most recent game 46 - 10, but they actually won the game 66-13, and that was with Katy kicking a field goal on a first and goal to keep from running up the score.

So here is the question: I don't want to know if you think your team is good enough to beat Katy, I want to know if you think your team is so good that they would have to pull the starters late in the 3rd quarter to keep from running the score up on Katy - with the confidence that your backups could play the Katy starters close enough to not surrender the lead?

Has Katy gotten better since the Atascocita and North Shore games? That's all I've seen of them this year, as I figured most of their other games would be blowouts. If so, they may have a chance to make NS sweat a little if they meet again. Glass needs to hang on to the ball better. He fumbled, I think, 3 times against Atascocita.

and no, my team (Silsbee) ain't good enough to beat Katy lol. It'd be over after the first quarter.

3 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

I really don’t think anyone would be able to pull starters out in Q3 other than the elite of elite. Maybe (and this is a big maybe) the top 2-3 teams in the country could do it. 

I thought the same thing. If anyone could pull their starters in the third against them, unless there was some extremely crazy circumstances, they aren't top 50 and probably not top 100 in the country. 

I'm a Katy fan, I've had season tickets on the 50 yard line for 15 years. No two Katy teams are the same, but this is a solid, legit, Katy team. Are they National Championship caliber? No. But this is certainly not the worst Katy team I've seen.

No I'm not trolling. The reason for this question was: 1. Yes only the top few teams in the country could beat Katy like that. 2. North Shore did do that.

I have been watching (or playing) high school football for 60 years, and I can spot a national championship level team when I see one. This post was my way of pointing out that North Shore is at that level.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TigerHat said:

Katy (TX) has been a very strong team for more than 20 years - they have played in 13 Texas state championship games in that period - winning 7 of them, and 3 of their undefeated teams have been called a mythical National Championship team by some rating system. This year's team is once again a very strong team - the CalPreps computer says #43 out of the 14,000+ high school teams in the country. The truth is that computer has had them consistently under rated for years; for example it projected Katy would win its most recent game 46 - 10, but they actually won the game 66-13, and that was with Katy kicking a field goal on a first and goal to keep from running up the score.

So here is the question: I don't want to know if you think your team is good enough to beat Katy, I want to know if you think your team is so good that they would have to pull the starters late in the 3rd quarter to keep from running the score up on Katy - with the confidence that your backups could play the Katy starters close enough to not surrender the lead?

Close the gates of mercy! Just kidding. It would depend on my defense. If Katy couldn't run the ball effectively, and your receivers weren't getting off the bump and were  unable to exploit the zone, and/or man coverage,  I  wouldn't embarass 14-17 year old boys. Even if I didn't like your coach. Because if the aforementioned is in effect, that means my squad is dominating the line of scrimmage. Start work on  developing quality depth.

• Like 1

North Shore is getting love in the polls. They are currently top 15 in CP. 

What were the circumstances that led to NS pulling starters in the third? 

If Katy is actually top 50, they probably shouldn't be in such a situation that a team can feel comfortable pulling their starters at any point really.

17 hours ago, TigerHat said:

The algorithm neither had them over rated nor underrated.  It had them rated in accordance with the equations used. 

The reason KT may have seemed undervalued is because who you play is so important to an objective model like Cal. 

With the TX long playoff, if you win out, you are virtually assured of a top 5 season ending.... even if you suck. 

Take Cal for what it is not what you want it to be.

question.

How many MNC in USAToday does Katy have?

Just wondering as that is the one I look to. The others I just use as interesting. 

I always liked KT. I picked them MNC a few years back on my own season ending ranking. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

If Katy is actually top 50, they probably shouldn't be in such a situation that a team can feel comfortable pulling their starters at any point really.

You would have thunk that Texas pulled its starters in the 3rd Qtr yesterday against Oklahoma.  

Rufus>>

15 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Depends how good the teams they face is. 

A 15 vs a top 50... yeah, I agree with you. 

A top 5 vs a top 50 may well need to pull their starters. (like MD/BC last year) 

2 minutes ago, noonereal said:

Depends how good the teams they face is. 

A 15 vs a top 50... yeah, I agree with you. 

A top 5 vs a top 50 may well need to pull their starters. (like MD/BC last year) 

True. I think this is the point the OP is angling at. 

North Shore should be top 5. At least that's how I'm reading the thread. 

This is why I'm asking for circumstances that led up to starters being pulled. 

Was Katy missing players? Are they just extremely young but talented and still have great upside? Etc. 

You know, since Texas keeps their games behind the curtain where we can't watch and make these connections on our own.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, noonereal said:

Why the hell were you watching that when there were ACC games on all day! 

Well...for full disclosure....the Dawgs didn't come on till 7:30pm...and a friend of mine showed up with a bottle of Casa de Dragones...and he just happens to be a Texas alum...and he was willing to share his bottle if I shared my Big Screen...and his wife and Ms. Violet left us unattended shortly after lunch...and well....I became a Texas fan pretty quick....(Smile).

Rufus>>

• Like 1
  • Haha 1